DODGE RAM FORUM banner

8 speed conversion for 2005 3.7l v6?

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ucanthngwme 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 with the 3.7l v6 and I was thinking about doing a 5.7l hemi swap and I found out that it would be better to buy another truck with the hemi. I don't want another truck, if I get another truck it will be a 4x4 Toyota but my parents wont let me get a 4x4 cause of insurance. So im stuck with this thing for atleast 2 more years and am wondering if I cam maybe put an 8 speed trans from the newer 3.6l v6? Also what all will I need to do it beside the transmission, maybe the computer, cross member trans mount, and torque converter and adapter mounting plate. I think it has a 4 or 5 speed in it now and I think it really hurts what I can do with it as in pulling my fourwheeler trailer and mpg. I can drive to my hunting land that is 2 hours and 15 minutes away, which I think is pretty close to 116 miles and use maybe an 1/8 to 1/4 to get down their, depends on how fast I go and which way (2 ways you can go). If I pull my 12x6 fourwheeler trailer and only one fourwheeler, I have 2, I will usually use 1/2 a tank just to get down their. My dad has a 06 dodge 3500 dually 5.9 cummins but diesel is close to $4 a gallon and I usually drive and I feel more comfortable driving mine cause I don't have to worry about it being a dually, changing 6 gears, and it is really long(4 door with 8ft bed). So I was wondering if this is even possible, or just save my money for another truck in 5 years. Any advice is appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.