DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Where is the V6 "Love"

29K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  boyohboy 
#1 ·
I know I can't be the only one around here. I know its not the biggest or fastest out there, but there must be others running the 3.7 V6 that are satisfied with their choice. Sure we chose it for financial reasons, for the most part, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun with it in the mean time. My time with my V6 is just starting and I would like to try and find a little inspiration.

Rob

#34 ·
3.7 vs hemi

I'm wondering if any you hemi boys have ever driven the 3.7?

No, I have not driven a hemi either, but I do have a big harley and a vette, both are much hotter than my 3.7....leave you in my dust maybe?

Don't know if this is true, but I've seen videos on u-tube where the 3.7 beat the hemi in 0-30 mph. What are you guys doing?,...spinning your wheels?

One indisputable fact, I do have a 190 lb. additional load capacity in quad cap configeration over your similiarly equipted hemi.

#35 ·
I'm wondering if any you hemi boys have ever driven the 3.7?

No, I have not driven a hemi either, but I do have a big harley and a vette, both are much hotter than my 3.7....leave you in my dust maybe?

Don't know if this is true, but I've seen videos on u-tube where the 3.7 beat the hemi in 0-30 mph. What are you guys doing?,...spinning your wheels?

One indisputable fact, I do have a 190 lb. additional load capacity in quad cap configeration over your similiarly equipted hemi.
Yes, my wife has a 3.7 Liberty. She wants me to figure out how to put a hemi in it (or at least a 4.7).

What year/engine 'vette?

#36 ·
why do people wit hemis gotta come on here and talk down? who cares what motor you have in your truck. I guarantee that 90% of the people wit hemis on this site don't tow/work that motor like its intended for. it's like a dude wit size 7 feet wearin a size 12 shoe. little **** complex. I've owned both and u know what I like my little v-6 it does exactly what I need it to do.. start up, run, and get me to school and work on time wit all my tools... f the haters.

#37 ·
haha there's nothing wrong with a v6, just depends what your purpose is. To most people, the v6 is too slow and weak for the big truck. For those who don't care about speed, and want a vehicle that gets them from A to B then it's more than adequate.

My wife has a chevy aveo with less than 100 hp 4 cylinder, and it is SO slow. I hate driving it, but she's fine with it, it gets her to work, groceries, etc. and that's all she cares about. One thing I do like is that after driving it my 4.7L feels like a rocket LOL

#38 ·
I give Snrusak props for always posting on the 3.7 forum. Anyways if i run my 3.7 good, i can go quick. Its all bout the power band. Plus i got the 5-speed. I always hear auto 3.7s just screamin tryin to take off at 3-4 grand. Me? Im at 2-2500 just keepin up with everybone else! Passing ppl on the highway too

#39 ·
What fascination about the hemi?

OK you hemi boys,...tell me what's behind the REAL fascination that gets so many of you all excited?

Is it the rush you get from acceleration?
In town, all that means is you get from one red light to the next one quicker so you can sit there longer. And less mpg too.
Or speed? On many interstates, 80 or more mph puts in an order for the flashing blue light special.

Might it even be the pride you feel seeing that hemi badge on your quarter-panel?....I might even understand that one more.
Another possibility,.....is it admiring your dual exhaust tips?
No I don't know what exhaust system a factory hemi comes with, but if it splits into two pipes behind a single muffler, seems cosmetic to me.

Passing speed on a 2-lane might be a legitimate reason, but here in SC, I've not seen many opportunities or the need to.

Macho image?,...I certainly don't want that! It's a guy thing.

Crawling out on a limb maybe,....but could it be journalist put-downs on the 3.7? Or advice from your buds (goes back to macho).

And finally, let me just say that for us 3.7 owners, I personally have not encountered a single incident to date where that hemi power was TRULY needed. I will close with this: If it takes a hemi to please you, for what ever your reasons, then it's probably worth it to you.

#40 ·
For most people they like the power to accelerate fast, pretty much as simple as that. And for some of us there is never enough power lol. For some it's needed for towing, etc.

For most people, realistically, they don't need the power, just like it. The v6 will do the job just fine other than heavy towing.

#41 ·
Is it the rush you get from acceleration?
The acceleration is very nice, but ultimately it was not a deciding factor. But merging with the speed of the traffic flow on a 75 MPH interstate that has little to almost no acceleration lane is very nice
Might it even be the pride you feel seeing that hemi badge on your quarter-panel?....I might even understand that one more.
Negative, mine is completely debadged and I gave the HEMI badges to another member
Another possibility,.....is it admiring your dual exhaust tips?
Negative, mine is dumped with empty cutouts. And it looks stupid LOL
Macho image?,...I certainly don't want that! It's a guy thing.
Something like that
I personally have not encountered a single incident to date where that hemi power was TRULY needed
I recently hauled about 2300 lbs of gravel in the bed, and it sure was nice to still have the power to get up and go. It was only a 4 mile trip, but still

All in all, I bought my truck because it had all the options I wanted and was in my price range. The HEMI just so happened to be in that truck. Could I have gone with the 4.7, yes I couldve. And I probably would've been just as happy. Could I have gone with the 3.7, no. I do too much hauling, pulling, and other "truck stuff" to have a V6 in a truck.

#42 ·
I own a hemi, and I love it. But It wasn't a needed thing. I just happened to find the truck that I wanted and it came with a hemi in it.. I have owned many v6 vehicles and even a little 4 banger and I will tell you they all ran fine and did exactly what I needed.. I will agree with gotbrains on this, that it is nice to have the extra get up and go whenever needed though. I also love the v8 sound that you just can't get from a v6 (and like I said i have owned multiple v6's). I will gladly help the v6 community if I can, and just so you guys know I posted a ball joint replacement how to. I know that will work on every 3rd gen truck (mine was 4x4 though, so may be a little different if its 2x4) Have a great day:smileup:

#43 · (Edited)
I'm in NJ and I do a lot of "City" driving, Newark, New York, etc...

It's not the racing from one light to the next because that's just inexperience rearing it's head.

I've only got a 5.2 5 spd manual trans and IF you have ever driven in a large city, it's ALL offense. Defensive driving is the stupidest think I think I've ever heard anyone say.

I just don't see me being able to maneuver around busses, tractor trailers and cabs driving defensively and get where I have to go in anything smaller than a 5.2. Maybe the 4.7. Anything else the door is closed before you can stick your foot in it.

I just replaced a 3.9 in a 2000 and broke the motor in for the owner (19) and couldn't wait to get back in my truck.

I actually like the 3.7 and 3.9's...as long as I'm not behind the wheel. More gas for me!

I'm just having fun (the last part). I know a couple people that have 'em and they do just fine around the farm hauling hay and straw bales.

#44 ·
No doubt having an extra 100-200 ft/lbs of torque on tap is like night and day and can help avoid seriious trouble. As for me, if a bus or semi wants my place in line enough to pose a danger to me, I'll gladly let 'em have it,...same with my Harley vs. anything with more than 2 wheels.

#45 ·
If that's the case...there is NO place in any line in the city. If you have to get over or change lanes you have to take the spot or you'll wind up past the suburbs and into the ruburbs before you'll be able to turn, and have to turn around and drive the 15 or so miles back into the city.

#46 ·
LOL, ^^^^ that's the truth, too! Driving through NOLA, even with my V6, you have to drive like you have somewhere to go or people will run you over lol and my truck keeps up just fine. :)

- Cajun

#48 ·
From the former owner of a home made crew cab lightning: I had an 01 F150 crew cab with a 4.6 V8. It had an Eaton M192P supercharger, 4.10 rear end, 75 horse wet shot, cold air intake, straight open dual exhaust, and aftermarket throttle body. Now I have an 08 single cab with a 3.7 V6......and I love my Dodge more than my Ford. My Dodge is a real truck, it didnt have to have 20K+ in mods to be cool and quick. Its already quick, gets great mileage and looks a lot better body wise.

I feel a lot of guys buy the Hemi because its the biggest available, even though most wont use all of its power. I have nothing against big power, but dont knock people for not buying the craziest amount of anything just because it can be.

#51 ·
My Dodge is a real truck, it didnt have to have 20K+ in mods to be cool and quick. Its already quick, gets great mileage and looks a lot better body wise.

I feel a lot of guys buy the Hemi because its the biggest available, even though most wont use all of its power. I have nothing against big power, but dont knock people for not buying the craziest amount of anything just because it can be.
Great way to put it. If the ram had an available 6.4L hemi then most people on here would buy that and say the 5.7L sucks. The v6 is more than adequate for daily driving. Not a good racer but if you're not into that then you don't need it.
Both great points with which I agree. My truck is a real truck, too and I don't feel I made a bad choice for how I intend to use my truck and I'm not always as easy on it as it may look for it still being in such great shape lol but I really don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage for having a small motor in a half ton truck, and, even knowing what I know now, given the chance to make the choice over, I would still have picked my truck. :)

- Cajun

#49 ·
I drive a hell of a lot, mostly behind a semi truck with a wide load
I found out that Peterbuilts fully loaded can do 80 plus on a hilly Pennsylvania highway, i need something that won't strain keeping up, so i bought a big V-8, its just to bad that it doesn't have a standard shift
But that would get me in trouble when i want to feel silly

#50 ·
Great way to put it. If the ram had an available 6.4L hemi then most people on here would buy that and say the 5.7L sucks. The v6 is more than adequate for daily driving. Not a good racer but if you're not into that then you don't need it.

Personally I wouldn't get a v6 in a big truck either way because from my experience it doesn't get better mpg anyway, but I won't knock you if that's what you want to get. For example my 4.7L gets ~17mpg city and 20+mpg hwy. I don't think the v6 does that well, and I'm a quad cab.

#53 ·
? It may have been in the low 15's.....never timed or raced it, just drove like an idiot. I think my 3.7 stock is the same as the 4.6 stock, maybe a second quicker. I appreciate the mpg better though. I have an SLT and it came with the 3.7. I just bought it in May, and the previous owner abused it enough. But with only 59K and for just 6,200$, I thought it was an ok deal. The state of TX valued it at 9,400$ so thats what I had to pay taxes on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.