DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Where is the V6 "Love"

29K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  boyohboy 
#1 ·
I know I can't be the only one around here. I know its not the biggest or fastest out there, but there must be others running the 3.7 V6 that are satisfied with their choice. Sure we chose it for financial reasons, for the most part, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun with it in the mean time. My time with my V6 is just starting and I would like to try and find a little inspiration.

Rob

#2 ·
I've done every bolt on worth it on the v6 and dyno'd it. I would really like to see someone do before and after dyno runs w/ custom cams and a tune. I want to see what kind of power can be made from it, I think some guy w/ a dakota did cams but I don't think he ever got them dyno'd and has disappeared from the forum I found the info on.

#7 · (Edited)
No you are right about at the same as the 4.7L.....that's 330 lbft at the crank, not the wheel. A 2008+ stock 4.7L is about 200 lbft at the wheel, give or take.

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=109335

You lose less power through a manual gearbox than the 4.7L does through the auto, that's a benefit.

I'm excluding peaks, and just going off the main flat line "curve".

#9 ·
The older regular 4.7L was 235 hp 295 lbft. The newer 4.7L is 310 hp 330 lbft. Not sure what the older HO 4.7L was rated at, but it is less than the new 4.7L for sure.

The new hemi's usually dyno ~300hp peak. They are rated at 390hp at the crank.

I've seen a few 2008+ 4.7L dyno's and they are pretty consistent. With the tuner it really helps out.

So did you ever do cams?

#10 ·
No, figured it wasn't gonna be worth the headache since I was gonna put them in myself. Doing a cam on the older hemi and 4.7 always gave good numbers, so I wondered what the 3.7 could do w/ one. I don't have any dyno's on hand but I want to say the older 4.7 put out better torque to the wheel than the new one's in stock form, just from seeing the graphs you linked to.

#11 ·
I don't have any dyno's on hand but I want to say the older 4.7 put out better torque to the wheel than the new one's in stock form, just from seeing the graphs you linked to.
Maybe with a cam...? Definitely not stock.

Old 4.7L 295 lb ft peak
New 4.7L 330 lb ft peak

Same exact drivetrain(transmission and rear axle) so no way there was a difference to the wheel. Unless it was manual trans.

Not to knock the old 4.7L, it's a good truck engine, but the new 4.7L is significantly improved upon. My dad has a single cab 2005 4.7L "work truck" and it runs fine but it's pretty slow. I have my 2010 4.7L quad cab with much larger and heavier wheels/tires and it is ....let's say....quick. I wouldn't say it's fast, but it's fun and "peppy".

I wish someone would make cams for the new 4.7L, and long tubes. You'd see some 400+ hp 4.7L's if it ever happened. That's a lot of power from a 287 NA.

Anyway, this is about the v6 lol. So do you have any other plans or just going to be satisfied with it as is?

#13 ·
Yeah. I've been modding my bike a lot lately, and it keeps making me realize how much easier and cheaper it is to make a bike go fast than a 5,000 lb truck...

I'm on the verge of 100 hp / 100 lbft for the bike. Should happen within about a year. That'll satisfy my speed cravings lol. As for the truck, I'd just like to get the exhaust(including headers) and a few other things done and I'll be satisfied with it. I can't complain, I get nearly 20mpg avg with a big heavy 4 door v8 truck that has decent acceleration.

#15 ·
Finally a little discussion lol. 4.7 throttle body, will it fit the 3.7 with a little modding? I am out of luck as far as tuners go, for now at least. Mine is a 2012 so the ecu is locked up tighter than (insert simile here). I'm not looking to make a gazzallion HP, just want to wake it up a bit, intake, exhaust, throttle body etc. Gonna be more of a cruiser and light towing vehicle, not a drag racer. Not saying it wont ever go down the track either, that is a blast whether you are fast or slow.

#16 ·
Can you post a picture of the stock TB? I doubt the 4.7L TB will fit or be a good mod as it's pretty large. The older 4.7L maybe, as it is smaller.

Fastman is probably the best bang/buck for TB mods. Google "fastman throttle body".

#19 ·
The fastman TB similar to a CAI will give you better throttle response, something you can feel. How much HP I don't know, you could try a jet chip until an actual tuner comes out. Even w/ all my mods the stage one still made a small difference in the higher rpms. I can't speak for the stage 2, w/o a tune the headers aren't worth it IMO, aftermarket muffler and y-pipe will give you something and be cheaper. The underdrive pulley was also something I could easily feel a difference in the truck after install.

#18 ·
It would still help. It won't be huge but if you did a lot just like chambers then you would gain a good bit. If you just do a TB, CAI and call it quits it'll hardly make a difference. If you do TB, CAI, headers, y pipe, muffler, underdrive pulley, etc. then it'll be a good difference. In all reality, it's not worth the money(but either is it on the 4.7L or 5.7L so that's up to you...).

#20 ·
Sean, I have to ask...are you high? :p There is no way you lose 100+ ft-lbs between the crank and the wheels... 50 is considered substantial powertrain loss.

#21 ·
^the dynos I've seen of the 4.7L's are ~100 hp loss to the wheels. Same with the hemi's, 390 hp rating at the engine, and ~300 hp at the wheels. Makes sense as they are identical drivetrains.

Just what I've seen....:4-dontknow:

I'd love it to be less......convince me? lol

#22 ·
Weird...that means the transmissions in these trucks really are the most ineffecient design in the universe. LOL.

100ft/lbs of powertrain loss is unacceptable to me...must improve this. Where did you get your TQ converter sean? Also, mine is probably WORSE than 100hp...I am a 4x4. :(

#23 ·
I'd agree, I didn't believe it was nearly 100 loss to the wheels when I saw it. But I've seen several dyno's showing 80-100 loss, depending on the truck.

I bought my TC used off member kay9. It's an edge street edge billet converter. Roughly 2800rpm stall on my 4.7L. I think it was about 3,000rpm stall on his 3rd gen hemi with some mods(he has more power).

#24 ·
I know I can't be the only one around here. I know its not the biggest or fastest out there, but there must be others running the 3.7 V6 that are satisfied with their choice. Sure we chose it for financial reasons, for the most part, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun with it in the mean time. My time with my V6 is just starting and I would like to try and find a little inspiration.

Rob
Add me to those of us perfectly satisfied with the 3.7 six just the way it comes stock from the factory! After a year plus of ownership, I have found that performance more than meets all of my needs. I don't need 390hp to get me around town, and on long interstate trips, I just dial up the cruise to whatever traffic patterns are. No, I don't haul or tow 10,000 lbs, but then how many of us really do that? My six is reliable and provides decent mpg. The quadcab is comfy, rides great, and is as luxurious as I desire,....what more could a driver want?

#25 ·
Add me to those of us perfectly satisfied with the 3.7 six just the way it comes stock from the factory! After a year plus of ownership, I have found that performance more than meets all of my needs. I don't need 390hp to get me around town, and on long interstate trips, I just dial up the cruise to whatever traffic patterns are. No, I don't haul or tow 10,000 lbs, but then how many of us really do that? My six is reliable and provides decent mpg. The quadcab is comfy, rides great, and is as luxurious as I desire,....what more could a driver want?
The ability to get out of your own way, much less anyone else's. 210-215hp in a 5300 lb truck is not the best power to weight ratio in the world...

#26 ·
LOL. Well the v6 full size trucks may not be fast but for the people looking for a daily driver and don't care about racing they are plenty strong. They are good enough for the home depot/lowes trips as well.

I had a 4 cylinder (~90 rwhp) chevy s10 before my ram and it wasn't fast but was a great running truck and did everything I needed it to just fine. Daily drove it until 220,000 miles running good then sold it. I hauled a lot with it, many times over it's limit and it pulled fine. Slow, but fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.