DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Gear Question

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Cnorth1560 
#1 ·
As you all know i have been talking about getting ready for a gear swap from a 3:55 to a 3:92. i just recently ran into a guy who did just that and said that the gear swap still gave him the same problem; he wasn't able to keep his 3.7L from constantly shifting in and out of overdrive. although it did help it still did not completely alleviate the problem. is anyone owning a standard cab dodge with the 3.7 and running dodge 3:92's in it w/auto trans, if so how does it run with it?

Jim

#3 ·
doesn't matter the speed

Max, if im doing 55 or 105 if the truck hits the slightest incline it cannot maintain its self in over drive and continuously shifts in and out of o/d. i have ran into several different people that have ran into this problem, and recently one with the 3:92 ratio and stated he wished he would have went up to the 4:10. im not sure if i just got a dud from the dealer but the truck is a true gutless wonder. not saying that i expect v-8 power from it but there is absolutley no power or torque comming from this engine what so ever. im thinking about ripping it out, finding a wrecked cummins and swappin that in there! lol any help you can offer would be great!

Jim

#4 ·
I wonder if there aren't some hot rod parts available , programmer , camshaft , headers or anything that will free up some horsepower . When I put the 35's on my truck , I noticed that when I climb this certain bridge on my way to work that the truck can't maintain 65 mph . Even stepping into the gas easy trying to maintain it ends up kicking out of lockup , then downshifting into 3rd and tachs 3200 rpm till I crest the top . I have purchased a Hypertech which didn't help (what a waste of money) , set of headers (which I need to install) and have contacted a cam company about my issue and they suggested a new cam to get me back into the power range . By the way I am running 4.10's in mine . Might want to see whats available . Contact a cam company and tell them what you have and see what they recommend . Let them know your gear ratio and tire size and that will help with their decision . Let me know how you make out . Tom

#5 ·

Tom,

I'm still running everything stock on the truck except intake and exhaust, in the past i used to just upgrade to upgrade and with this truck im taking it very slow and researching every angle before upgrading anything, as of now i am between 3:92 or 4:10 problably will go with the 3:92 and the next upgrade being an sts turbo system to compensate any lack of power after the gear upgrade. so far i have found that with the 3.7L with the 3:92 will better stay in the power band but still at times will have an issue of shifting in and out of o/d on the slightest incline of the road regardless of the speed you are running. sts claims that you can increase your horse power by 100 with only 5lbs of boost meaning that no upgrades to the enigine would be necessary minus what it would take to bolt on the turbo system. im definately not looking to turn it into a hot rod, but a respectable daily driver that would be able to handle minor tows such as a boat or similar.

Jim

#7 ·
cams

I did look into cams, actually a roller rocker set up. at best i would only be looking at a 15 hp tops increase and thats with an angle on the cam working from about 1500-5000 rpms; not crazy radical but does give a decent amount of lope without having to change injectors or fuel ratings, the cams would have to be custom made as there are no accurate after market cams as of yet. and seeing that this engine has been around for quite some time, i don't forsee anything comming up to soon. i agree that it would be a rather expensive investment, but so far i have yet to see a truly bad side in this specific turbo system. it has several tuning options that help prevent from being to mild or too wild. after talking to the sts team it would be no problem to develop a low to middle high range spooling rate which is where im trying to achieve for the low to middle end torgue and hp. if you know of a cam shop that can offer more im definately interested.

Jim

#8 ·
Plenty of power!

I cannot speak for anyone else. But my truck ('09 Reg cab longbed 2wd 3.7), has plenty of power for me, Better than my old 1995 Chevy 2500 extended cab longbed w/5.7 (was NEW Jasper motor...)

Just to let you know I ain't no "granny";) when it comes to power, I have a "modded" '06 4.0 Mustang that has tripped the clocks at 14.5 @ 101 mph, and a Dual Carb, SUPERCHARGED, 355 CID, 4 speed '68 Camaro. No time on that, but w/500+ HP at the crank, I would say 12's are entirely within its capability.

Have ALSO drag raced Alky burning dragsters and Funny Cars, last time May '06. (Big Block injected ET Dragster on alcohol, 4.62 @ 147 1/8th mile) :Wow1:

Also own FIVE bikes, including a 2000 American King V which has a 350/300 horse Chevy between my legs.

No braggin' (although it very much seems like it), I just state all this, because w/my experience w/brute power, I still feel this 3.7 is VERY satisfying.

And no, it AIN'T a Hemi............

COULD be, it's just me:4-dontknow:

REX

#9 ·
HP

yeah the "09" 3/7 gotta nice HP boost i believe they are up int the 280's now where as my "08" is sitting at 215. also the longs beds come with a better gear ratio at a 3:92 and the short beds are at a 3:55. i think i would have been happy with it if i would have gone with the manual trans rather than the 4spd auto. Also just a heads up to everyone i just picked a sick set of chrome 20's that i will be looking to trade for the 07-08 big horn addition wheels either polished aluminum or powder coated silver... pics to follow!

J1M

#11 · (Edited)
I would try a programmer that mods the parameters that cause the truck to downshift. Is it decreasing speed when it shifts down, or does it just drop down when still maintaining?
I was looking into a gear swap for my truck with the 5.7 because I figured I couldn't really gain anymore power than a Hemi and keep a fair gas mpg. 3.55 to 3.92 would have been about 200rpm diff for me, and i don't think that would fix the problem I have. I was just looking to keep the 4 banger mode in longer while driving on highways with very mild rolling hills(very mild).
But after much research, the issue I think is ultimately going to get me is I like to set the cruise on about 75 and there is too much wind resistance on the truck at that speed for the motor to overcome in 4 mode without going up about 400 rpm and that would kill the mpg, and there is no program avail to adjust the MDS, which I have found. Tried the test and took the truck down to 63mph in cruise (very hard to get passed by big rigs:)and it worked like a champ without coming out of 4 mode with the decrease in wind resistance the little bit of throttle input was fine to maintain the mode.

Hopefully you can find a programmer that mods the tranny and adjust things out the way you like them.

#12 ·
Sorry. The V6 is just a way-underpowered base truck. I know. I have one. You can help it with gearing and intake or more but you're doing it the hard way. An srt-10 or a hemi or a turbo diesel will provide power and torque and towing, but the sixxer isn't good for much more than a couple bales of hay and an Alaskan Malamute.

#14 ·
3.7 Ram

Guys, I believe that with the 3.92, our 3.7's are about as good as they are ever going to perform. Yes, you could spend all kinds of money and effort to hop them up, but why bother ? If lots of power is what you want, you've made one mistake already. Just trade it for a v8 new or used,....I'd doubt any enhancements you could make to the 3.7 (other than the 3.92) will suffice your appetite, and then still not likely. Do like me, be satisfied with what you have....a darn nice truck that will haul whatever you need to, a comfortable ride, reliable transportation, great looks. If your towing needs are modest and short haul, you won't have any trouble. Shifting in and out of the gear set, well set your cruise and relax, enjoy some music or a delightful companion. I seldom travel interstates for long distances, but when I do, the 3.7 is more than adequate and I'm always in the left passing lane. I've only "floored it" one time just to see what it has. Regardless of the "almighty hemi only" dribble and hype on this site, make your own decision based on logic and your true needs. Forget the mods, trade if you can't stand it, or enjoy and love what you have. Ummm,...guess that could be said in a lot of things about life in general.
Be happy, love and enjoy what you have in life, be grateful for your talents and good fortune, and I wish all of you a great and prosperous 2015.

#15 ·
Been entertaining making this swap myself. I got a great deal on a very low mileage truck, upgraded it to power everything and love everything about the truck but the mileage and low end power, or lack thereof. I've owned a few V10's, a Cummins 1-ton dually and honestly, am really enjoying the simplicity of a 2wd short bed pickup.

The obvious fix is to swap to 3.92's but is the juice really worth the squeeze? Is 200 rpm really going to make that much of a difference?

Lot's of guys running 3.92's already swear by them but has anyone actually done the swap and posted actual results?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.