DODGE RAM FORUM banner

3.7 v6 synthetic oil

28K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  joealphin 
#1 ·
Okay so I just turned 3500 miles on my new 2010 ram 1500 and now it says change oil any ideas on what to put either Amsoil or Mobile 1 ???

#3 ·
and do you about how much it cost because down here m1 sythetic is about 10 bucs a qt and a freind of mine said he can get the amsoil synthetic for about 6.50 a qt and it last for 25k miles guaranteed in writing i just wanted to see if anyone is running that and what there thoughts are. But thanks very much for the info

#7 ·
well, depending on the mileage you are runnin and how hard you drive your ram between oil changes, you don't have to use full syn. a syn blend every 3-4k (i actually run to 6k due to a lot of highway mileage) and dodge even backs up that 6k change. but if ur rough and drive your ram hard, then a full syn is the way to go. valvoline, castrol, pennzoil, quaker state oil, are all good oils and u can usually find great deals through your auto shops i.e. auto zone. hope this helps. also (this is just preference i use a K&N filter.)

#8 ·
Oil choice !

After working in the oil industry for over 30 years I can assure you, for many reasons, Quaker State is one of the "waxiest" oils on the market. Most engines running Quaker State for a long period of time will have wax build up on the inside of the valve covers and throughout the engine.
Oil is not oil. Quaker State is a paraffin based oil and the process of removing the wax is not a priority at Quaker State.
My 30 years included 15 at a Quaker State refinery in West Virginia.

Mobil 1 Syn.......way to go.

#9 ·
Full Syn

Well, I don't change my own oil except for my lawn tractor. I always take my truck, cars and bike to the dealer because I want the factory brand of oil filter, quality of service including torque spec on the plug, and to avoid the mess and disposal. I change at 5K. While I'm told that all big name oils are good, I only use full synthetics because they withstand a higher temperature before breaking up, will begin flowing faster in cold weather, and I just simply put my faith and trust in claims that full synthetics offer a reduced wear factor. Here is what I go with:
Ram - Mopar full syn
Ford Focus - Motorcraft full syn
Corvette - Mobil 1 full syn
Harley - Harley Syn-3 (a full syn)
John Deere - Pennzoil full syn.
I'm a bit of a fanatic about oil changes and always stop at the first opportunity after service to verify that I'm at the full mark on the dipstick.

For anyone considering saving money by going to one of those "fast oil change stations", you are not in the long run as they all use a generic
no-name filter, and you may get a trainee service tech on his first day at the job. There is one chain in particular, which I won't mention, who often cheats customers by not changing the filter at all.

For those of you who change your own oil, I'm sure you do so because you believe that "if you want the job done right, do it yourself", and it's far less expensive too. My congrats to you all ! Me, I don't want oil and grease on my dresses, nor my nail polish messed up, lol !

#10 ·
Ive been using Valvoline full synthetic since I got my Ram a lil over a year and a half ago. Seems to be just fine, no problems so far. Anyone have any problems with that stuff?

I also have a question, my dad used to work for a car dealer and he said that when people came in for warranty work and showed that they did work on their own, even oil changes, that sometimes they would void the warranty.

So for that reason I have always taken it into get the oil change. Is there any truth to that? if not I would like to go back to doing my own services like on my old car.

Not a big deal, but any info or advise is appreciated.

#12 ·
Ive been using Valvoline full synthetic since I got my Ram a lil over a year and a half ago. Seems to be just fine, no problems so far. Anyone have any problems with that stuff?

I also have a question, my dad used to work for a car dealer and he said that when people came in for warranty work and showed that they did work on their own, even oil changes, that sometimes they would void the warranty.

So for that reason I have always taken it into get the oil change. Is there any truth to that? if not I would like to go back to doing my own services like on my old car.

Not a big deal, but any info or advise is appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
True or not about the warranty business, I've been told by others that as long as one keeps the dated receipts for oil and filter purchases, as well as keeps a written log of the dates changed and the odometer readings each time, the dealer is required to honor the warranty. Additionally, I'm told that oil changes done by other businesses will keep the warranty intact as long as you've kept the receipts. While I have no direct personal experience myself, I believe that it is law that the dealer must comply and that it is not a requirement that only authorized dealerships must perform this service. Look in your manual and warranty book, and I don't think you will find anywhere that it states that a dealership must perform this service for your warranty claim to be valid. For sure, there may be dealerships who will deny a claim, but that is why every manufacturer has customer service ombudsmen to intervene on your behalf regardless of what the service writer at your dealership tells you.

#11 · (Edited)
Valvoline is my oil of choice and a Bosch filter, that's what I buy when I do it myself. In the case of my truck, I've kept it at the dealership for service, Mopar filter and usually Pennzoil is what I believe they use now, but that way they have my service records in the system so no arguing my upkeep and if they mess anything up it's on them to fix it. I get oil and grease enough at work lol (one thing I love about my job lol) but in my off time, I'd rather let someone else do it.

As for doing your own oil changes/maintenance and warranty goes, so long as you keep you receipts for oil, filters, plugs etc. I've been told that is sufficient when/if it comes to any warranty claims down the line. I have a folder that I keep with every receipt from everything that has ever been done to my truck.

I haven't switched to synthetic but if I do, Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter would be the way I go. I'm just under 50K on the clock so will most likely just switch to a high mileage Valvoline which has enough of a synthetic blend to condition seals etc.

- Cajun

#13 ·
Thank you for the reply, I kinda thought that was the case. It might just be a policy of whatever from where my dad used to work, I believe it was Isuzu. Anyway, I have found recently that the dealer is actually cheaper than the Valvoline in and out place I have been going. My dealer site had coupons so I use those.
I have one now for a 24.95 oil change and tire rotation, all they said I do is pay the difference for the synthetic, not too bad since I work a ton so I don't have the time or the energy to do much myself. Gonna drop it off in the morning to have it done while I get some breakfast. I have another dumb question, the service guy told me the deal is for 5 qts and I have to pay full price for the 6th, even after I told him it was the 3.7 v6 and that it only uses 5 qts. Is this dude trying to pull a fast one or maybe he just misunderstood me. Ill deal with it again in the morning.

#15 ·
3.7 oil capacity

The Ram 3.7 V6 engine holds exactly 4.7 liters of oil including what's in the filter. That works out to 4.97 quarts of oil. So, putting in more than 5 quarts of oil would amount to overfill. If your service adviser charges you for more than 5 quarts, he has over billed you more than what was necessary. If more than 5 quarts have been put into your Ram, then it is dangerously overfilled. My advice,...check your oil level and your receipt for work done,....if you find any discrepancy from the above specs other than minor, I'd go find the general manager of the dealership and demand an adjustment, both on the cost as well as the vehicle fluid level....I check this out personally before I ever leave the parking lot, and it will be right when I do leave.

#14 ·
Get an oil test kit from Blackstone labs and you will know exactly what is happening inside your motor. Change oil and filter by the owner's manual to keep warrantee. I use Penzoil Platinum, same price as M1 at Walmart, $22-$26 for 5 quart jugs. Walmart also sells Mopar filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.