DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hemi vs Ecoboost

10K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  2012ramHemi 
#1 ·
My wife and I were coming home tonight from grocery shopping when we pulled up behind a 2006-2007 Crewcab Ram Hemi which looked bone stock, still had factory single exhaust on it and a extended cab F150 ecoboost at a red light. Well they took off and I was surprised that the 3rd Gen hemi kept even with it for awhile till it fell to the ecoboost's back bumper then thet both left off. After seeing this I think the 390hp hemi stands a chance!

#2 ·
those ecoboost trucks dont worry me one bit, of course i havent raced one yet tho lol.. i figure with my rcsb truck with the mods i have there shouldnt be any problem beating one

#5 ·
Cooks exhaust adds 35 whp and 50 ft lbs...add a tune and us hemis are screwed. That's a lot of power w/o hardly any work. Hate em all you want, but coming from turbo cars (including a GN) I'm here to tell you turbos are just awesome.

#7 ·
Yeah, not necessarily advocating the Ecoboost here but there are a couple of exhausts that pick up 35+ HP and 50+ TQ and the Superchips Flashpaq adds 54 HP and 68 TQ. 89HP/118TQ....that's pretty crazy for $900 worth of bolt-ons that can be installed in two hours in your driveway.

I still wouldn't buy one over a new Ram though, lol.

#6 ·
Yeah i completely understand. :/ Iv been around plenty of turbos before. A simple down pipe and tune can do wonders. Iv been contemplating getting a Challenger and twin turboing it myself. But i don't have the money and i couldn't get rid of my truck. But ud have to knock me out and drag me into the drivers seat of a Ford, and thats the only way id drive it. :box2: lol

#8 ·
Not to get off subject but how are the 6.2s running. Got a buddy with a crew cab thats talking alot of smack

#9 ·
I don't really know much about the 6.2L but in an F150 with 411HP/434TQ it might be tough to beat. Looks like the Superduty trucks with the 6.2 are down on power a little and being a heavier truck I would guess might be easy pickings.

#10 ·
Chrysler is already working on a supercharged 6.2 hemi for many models, including the Rams, I have read. MDS for mileage, Rootes blower for instant whallop. Gonna take a lot of boost for the little V6 to catch.

#11 ·
I don't know much about the 6.2s either.. But thats a whole lot of power to take on... And i heard the same thing about Chrysler making the new 6.2s! They are supposed to start out going in the 2014-2015 Barracudas that are rumored to take over the Challenger! I can't wait. :)

#12 ·
the 6.2s are pretty strong but no chance against a hemi the trucks they put them in are heavy like the big crew cab harley davidson and raptors theres a raptor out here in beaumont tuned and it pulls pretty hard but i still beat him all the time from a dig a 20 roll 60 punch whatever it just doesnt compare to the power of a HEMI

#14 ·
The 6.2 is an option in the F150 Platinum but not in the lesser F150 trucks. I don't know how the weights of the Dodge and Ford compare but I would think with similar gearing a 6.2L F150 should be tough to beat. That's certainly not saying a new Hemi won't smoke a 6.2 F150.....I'm just judging by the numbers.

According to Wikipedia, the 6.2L in the Super Duty trucks only make 385HP/405TQ. Kinda odd that the heavier trucks would make less power than the lighter duty trucks with the same engine but that's what it says. In the heavier Super Duty truck with power levels closer to a new Hemi (less actually) I would think a new Hemi Ram would easily smoke the 6.2L.

#16 · (Edited)
I hear you man, I'd be happy with a pre 02 vipers..consider them timeless. As for the 6.2 I haven't seen to much action racing wise..rousch do make a bolton kit for them also though. Heres a contender for a boosted Ram R/T, size and weight. A guy can pick up an xlt rcsb with 3.55 rears and get a roush charger installed at the dealer out the door for under 35k under warranty...Have fun at the track without a care in the world. Its only a 5.0 but shes nasty...what I really like about it is they come with a drivetrain that can back it up..looking forward to the new 8 speed trannys mopars are coming out with though

http://youtu.be/H8BF43uErQU
here's another, on stock tires
http://youtu.be/NDGaoQqIy_o

#18 ·
My dads got a Raptor with the 6.2 crew cab. His wieghs in at 6200 and some change my crewcab Ram weighs in at 5500 and change, both are 2012s. With some fast math he's got 15.085 lbs per hp and I've got 14.103 lb per hp :) go Dodge :) I took both trucks from a stop sign near here to the 55mph sign just down the road. His Raptor with 4.11 gears and 35 11.50 tires (stock) reached the sign at 65mph. My Ram with 33 12.50 tires and 3.55 gears reached the sign at 65mph as well. I need to catch him at a red light or drag strip to find out for sure but based on that both feel very close to even. I've tried to get him to put the Raptor in the local pickup pull, he couldn't last year, so this summer maybe... I think that test against mine would yeild more bragging rights then the speed test as his sticker was 49k mine was 37k so I would really rub it in lol. Both trucks are fun to drive and even more fun to give each other hell about ;)

#21 ·
Thats great,I'm 52 and my son is 32 and we compete and drag race at the track all the time.last year it was his 2003 lightning with pulley,tune,headers and cold air vs. my 2011 F150 with gears,stall,cams,cai,headers and tune. His best et was 12.61 and my best was 12.62 but I could get him most of the time.lol

#24 ·
Thats some quick times, and close racing ;) Y'all sound like us, when I asked him to the pickup pull he said "I dont need to go to a pull to show you how its done, I'll pull you all over town any day" After the pull I showed him my 2nd place to trophy, and I told him "bring your A game next year" I lost by 5 feet to a '12 2500 ram with a hemi. Mine is just a 1500 and only had 1700 minles on it at the time. Now I'm at 9000 miles trucks broke in, and I'm more used to the truck so I'm confindent I'll out preform what I did last year. I'd drag race too though but we are both 4x4 and the only tracks close are 1/8 mile so I'm sure we wouldn't set any records lol

#22 ·
some other thing to think off if anyone is going to drag race a eco bost is the outside temps, since its turbo, if you race in hot condition it will be handicap by that but if you race them when its not so hot outside,.. te'll take avantage of the lower temp,..

anyway a few years back the gas turbo vehiculs use to affected by hot temp, maybe now they dont

#28 ·
i wouldnt own a 6 banger anything. they sound horrendous. turbo or not. i kinda laugh when people spend the effort to try and make all these trucks "fast"...its a truck...itll only ever be "truck fast". thats it....fast for a truck...

not car fast...not street bike fast...but truck fast...(slow)

thats where ya kinda have to draw the line and accept the reality of it..:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.