DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Idle stumbling issue...help

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BurningBlue 
#1 · (Edited)
I am getting a strange problem. My Ram is suffering from random fits of low RPM stumble, that usually only presents itself while stopped or at very slow speeds. I never have any symptoms during normal driving...sometimes it will stall out though at a stop light or bounce from 800-2000 RPM.

It is very random, sometimes doesn't happen at all during an entire driving session. When it does happen, it doesn't matter whether the engine has warmed up or if I just started up the engine, it usually doesn't last very long...maybe 20-30 seconds. The headlights and console lights dim & brighten with the idle bouncing back and forth. Also I get no codes thrown...completely stock engine 66k miles. No leaks

Any idea what my problem could be? Just ran a whole bottle of Seafoam in the fuel tank, and it didn't help.

#3 ·
Another thing to look at is your idle air control and throttle position sensors. The rpm fluctuation is pretty common with our trucks. I replaced both at the same time because it's a cheap and easy job so I can't say for sure which fixed the problem. All I know is my truck runs like a champ now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.