DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1945
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT View Post
Well, you'd certainly immediately lose the warranty on the differential and if you had to change the transfer case you'd lose the warranty on that as well. Then, we have to start to talk about how this change would impact the transmission and the control systems for the engine, transmission and transfer case. Realistically speaking, maybe swapping the differential won't make a bit of difference but there's no way to know until you try it. That's an expensive gamble. ANY dealership that wanted to could easily use this as an excuse to not repair pretty much anything in the drivetrain they felt like.

There's no way I'd jeopardize a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on a $30-$40k truck for this. I bet the OP would be better off to sell his truck and just go buy a new one now that he's learned what he really needs. There's much less risk in this approach and in the long term, I can tell you which one I'd put my trust in.

Are you even reading the posts to see some of the options available? One of the options I stated was to find someone who has 3.92 gears, which would have come stock in their truck, and swap differentials with them. All the parts in the truck would be 100% OEM and I'd bet the dealer wouldn't even know that anything was changed.
Swapping to lower gears is easier on the transmission and transfer case. The engine wouldn't know the difference, so again we're all on the positive side of things here. And again, the ECU wouldn't even know the gears had been swapped since it reads the speed off the carrier (with either OEM or aftermarket gears).

No way to know without doing it? Are you serious? Do you think the OP is the first guy to bring this up? That no one else has already done this? People have been swapping gears in vehicles for years! If you did your research and actually knew something about gear swaps rather than just arguing about warranty maybe you'd have something useful to say.

As far as your last paragraph goes. Tell me how it makes sense to sell a brand new truck and easily lose a few grand on it to go buy a new one with the gears you wanted when you could swap the gears for cheaper and realistically have absolutely no problems with it? If the gears are swapped and setup right I pretty much guarantee that there will no issues whatsoever. To any part of the truck...

If a mod like this isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. But you don't need to come in to a thread and post up an arrogant post like you did and bash the OP's idea.

PS: Don't look at my build thread. You might have a heart attack if you see the warranty I've thrown out the window

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 BH Quad cab Ecodiesel 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:18
DustinT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
If the gears are swapped and setup right I pretty much guarantee that there will no issues whatsoever. To any part of the truck...

If a mod like this isn't your cup of tea, that's fine. But you don't need to come in to a thread and post up an arrogant post like you did and bash the OP's idea.

Sponsored by:
You're sponsored... But is the OP?

Secondly, the DEALERSHIP can refuse warranty coverage for something like this if they choose too. Whether it's a good idea, a safe idea, or even the best idea every isn't my point. Merely that the dealership CAN easily deny warranty coverage if they can make a reasonable claim that the mod caused it. No bashing of his idea, just pointing out the risks of the swap. If the OP choose to do it, that's cool.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
You're sponsored... But is the OP?

Secondly, the DEALERSHIP can refuse warranty coverage for something like this if they choose too. Whether it's a good idea, a safe idea, or even the best idea every isn't my point. Merely that the dealership CAN easily deny warranty coverage if they can make a reasonable claim that the mod caused it. No bashing of his idea, just pointing out the risks of the swap. If the OP choose to do it, that's cool.
Yes I'm sponsored by Bully's Performance. But that doesn't mean I get parts or work for free. Sure I get a discount on SOME parts because of it, but not all. And all the work is either done by me or paid for by me. That is irrelevant.

They can't just deny it if they feel like it. They do have to have some sort of evidence to prove it. But yes I do agree that some mods are a bit of a risk and anyone doing them should be prepared to be denied warranty work. I just don't see a gear swap as one of those big risks as it shouldn't effect anything in a negative way if it's done right.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 BH Quad cab Ecodiesel 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:18
DustinT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
They can't just deny it if they feel like it. They do have to have some sort of evidence to prove it. But yes I do agree that some mods are a bit of a risk and anyone doing them should be prepared to be denied warranty work. I just don't see a gear swap as one of those big risks as it shouldn't effect anything in a negative way if it's done right.
Right, like I said in my first post, this maybe fine but there's no way to tell if it's done right until you do it. They don't call them 'stealerships' for nothing, son.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Right, like I said in my first post, this maybe fine but there's no way to tell if it's done right until you do it. They don't call them 'stealerships' for nothing, son.
Or you talk to them about it before hand and get their opinions and thoughts on it. You don't always have to make a mistake to learn something. Building a relationship with a dealership (or any company for that matter) is never a bad thing.