DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Finally got to detail the Engine

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Morbid611 
#1 ·
After bugging primo non stop on here for the last month I finally decided on the products and process I wanted to use. Truck was in the garage over night so engine was cool.

The process and products:
1) Covered up the Alternator with a plastic bag
2) Rinsed off the engine and underside of hood.
3) Cleaned with Chemical Guys All Clean+ (had it laying around) and various brushes
4) Dried with leaf blower
5) 2 Coats of Sonus Trim and Motorkote on the engine components (you really have to just walk away and fight the urge to wipe this stuff because it looks horrible when you first spray it)
6) 1 Coat of Ultima Tire and Trim Guard on the Windshield Cowel

The Results (sorry for the crappy iphone picture):

See less See more
#4 ·
Agreed they are designed to be able to withstand water but for the cost of a plastic grocery bag is it worth risking getting too much water in there or possibly into the harness?

Oh and you really don't need that many products. a good polish a good wax and a good water soluble dressing is all you need.
Again, I agree. You don't NEED a lot of products but your product stash will vary and grow depending on the looks you want or processes you use or from simply trying different things over time to see what you like.
For example: I use the Sonus on my motor and wheel wells because you can spray it on and walk away. I use the Ultima Tire and Trim on all the other external plastics and rubbers because of the look it gives and because you don't have to worry about overspray. I used to use 303 on the exterior plastics but since I switched to the ultima, I still have a lot of the 303 left so I now use it on the interior.
On paint I prefer to use sealant and top it with 845 for extra protection in the winter because of all the salt they use around here. So for my process you do need more than just a polish and a wax.

To each his/her own This was a process suggested to me by one of the most reputable members here. I tried it and loved the results

#6 ·
Thank you! If you decide to use the Sonus you might want to lay some towels over the fenders. If you get any overspray it's a little bit of a pain to get off. Also, while squeezing the trigger on the bottle move your arm quickly over the engine bay. If you get a lot of heavy white(ish) colored spots wipe it off and reapply. A few should be ok, I had some and they still soaked in well.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ew-sonus-trim-motor-kote-tlc-auto-detail.html

#9 ·
I wasn't trying to criticize, I've been running a detailing business for many years and I hate to see people spend a lot on tons of products when you only need a few good ones. I also understand why you would want to wax over the sealant, while sealant is more durable wax has a much better finish, especially the Collinite that you are using. The thing is wax and sealant don't bond together. So what I was trying to relay in my half asleep half assed comment was that you could either save yourself a trip around the truck or use products that will bond so that each time you detail instead of "getting the shine back" you're adding more depth to the finish with each layer.

#12 ·
Completely understand what you're saying now lol. What is your polish and wax of choice just out of curiosity??

BTW.... I've never used Ultima Tire and Trim, how does it dry? greasy/sticky or dry to the touch?
Dry to the touch and a little goes a long way! I did a single coat on mirrors, door handles, bed rail/tailgate caps, rubber trim for bed cover, rear bumper pad, tires, and even put a thin coat on the rims like it says to... and in all honesty I probably didn't even use 3oz. The only reason I even used that much is cause of the texture on the stock tires. If you have a tire with a smooth sidewall you could probably cut that amount in half. I'm anal about trim and 3 days later I realized I missed the inside part of the mirrors (the part where they fold) and I didn't even have to add any to the applicator, just used residue that was left on it lol. The only exterior trim I didn't use it on was my Grille, I wasn't going to sit there and work it into each honey comb lol so I just used some black on black spray.

#13 ·
Looks great man! Besides the alternator being covered did you keep the water spray away from anything else? I have the same year and engine but wasn't sure how safe it was to spray water under there. I know there designed to take a little up splash. I always sprayed down my other older vehicles but not sure how tight the electronics are on there newer trucks.

#14 ·
Sorry about the delay bud. Things have been crazy lately and I haven't been on the forums of late. For the initial rinse I set my hose on the "spritz" setting I believe it is. It's just slightly harder than a mist. For this I don't cover anything but the alternator. Once I get to the final rinse where I need a bit more pressure to get all the APC off I actually put a bag over the battery too. Not because the water will damage the battery but because when I see that foam cover/insulation on it I always think MOLD if I really wet it lol. It probably could never happen as I tend to be a bit anal about those things. That was all I covered though and no problems what so ever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.