DODGE RAM FORUM banner

True Duel vs Magnaflow Catback

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ramrt1993 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2011 R/T with the duel exhaust tips, and I want to redo my entire exhaust for more performance and hopefully more MPGs :) so I either want to get the Magnaflow cat back kit with one in and two out, or a true dual exhaust setup.

I have no idea how to get a true dual setup, and I don't know how much it'd cost either. I think I can get the Magnaflow cat back for $605 + installation.

So what are the pros and cons of each? One thing to note, I don't want to hear my exhaust unless I got the pedal to the metal...well, as long as I don't get drone during MDS, I'm happy :)

G
#2 ·
It will sound a little bit different but because the fuel tank on the driver's side pretty much keeps you from putting any pip over there, it's hard to squeeze in a true dual.

I'd go with the single in / dual out that runs along the passenger side until it gets to the rear diff, then sends one pipe over towards the driver's side. With the muffler acting as a crossover pipe, it will perform pretty well.

#3 ·
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but the exhaust system you described sounds almost identical to the stock system. So will I be gaining any performance?

#4 ·
It is, the stock setup is headers into a Y, 3" single to the muffler inlet, dual 2 1/4" outlets. I put a new Y pipe on mine with a Mag single in/dual out muffler......Built my own catback for 250 bucks! It works, true duals would require tuning to get the most out of it and there really isn't room to do it right.

My new Y-pipe setup

Old Y

My thread with pics!
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=71908

#5 ·
So let me get this straight, a muffler swap with a Y pipe is considered a cat back? Would I get the same performance out of that as I would from buying a cat back?

#6 ·
I built a cat back for half the price! And the Y-pipe is not included in the catback system. The only difference between the 600 dollar cat back and my exhaust is the stock resonators, which don't hurt exhaust flow....they help with the mds drone. The catback kits have you cut the stock 3" pipe right in front of the stock muffler. I would say mine is maybe equal or slightly better because of my Y pipe mod.

#7 ·
I think I wanna get mine done like yours, I'm still a lil confused on what to tell the guy at the muffler shop...so I bring him an 18" Magnaflow an the Y pipe, and that's it?

#8 ·
Yep! Then let him work his magic! (As long as he's good!) I've had a few people print out pictures and have shops copy this setup...go for it and save some major money!

If you want the magnaflow catback sound, get a 22" muffler and have the shop cut out the resonators!

#9 ·
More or less drone with 22" and no resonators? More or less power with 22" and no resonators? Is it best to just go 18" and keep resonators?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.