DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Roof Rack

31K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Nicky-D 
#1 · (Edited)
You either love them or hate them.

I was a hater as I'm sure a lot of you are, until very recently.

When I bought my truck, there was a tiny voice that said "This will be the baddest truck in all the land after I do a few things to it". That voice gave way to reason, which said "You don't really need that, and you can go with one of these things that is a bit cheaper, but isn't as hardcore".

I came to the realization that there is entirely too much "pretty" stuff on my truck. If it came down to navigating through a natural disaster or complete socio-economic collapse, half my stuff would break off or be rendered inoperative.

Now I'm not talking about converting anything to Mad Max conditions or preparing for a zombie survival situation. In a completely realistic sense, a solid roof rack would be an amazing asset. There is little to no mention of any roof racks or baskets in the forum that I could find, which leads me to believe they are unpopular. I, too, scoffed at the idea of a roof rack until I started looking them up. Almost every single vehicle with a nice, fitted roof basket and some decent lights not only looks a lot better, but is awesomely more useful.

If they are done correctly, they won't make noise and will impact gas mileage minimally. Ideally, it is one that can be removed or re-installed in a couple minutes. I definitely wouldn't leave it on all the time if I didn't have to if the gas mileage was too bad.

It appears I might have to go custom or find one made for another vehicle manufacturer, since Rams are not really in the roof basket market.

My dream roof basket/rack, juggling functionality with looks:
Colormatched/Line-X'd
Contoured to avoid the boxy look
Mounting points to enable removal for long periods of unplanned use.
Low-profile- including lights

In summary, if anyone has any experience with a roof rack/basket, positive or negative, please divulge it.

The following pictures are meant to put you in the roof basket mood. Please note that these all would not look as awesome without the roof rack.

See less See more
#4 ·
Kutect has one (and a mighty fine light bar as well!). Check out his gallery (or PM him if you don't find any new pics there).

#8 ·
I to have considered a roof rack but im not gunna do it til i lift my truck high enough to not fit in the garage but here are some pics i found while researching it in the past...

Attachments

#12 ·
Ya the the one i posted of the SRT10 is my fav too! Looks kinda like a Nissan frontier rack...

#18 ·
Been searching the net for anyone who has tried to make their own racks for their truck, with no luck, looking at the roof/door jam area, have hard time figuring out how to fab up something to secure them down.
Really wanted to make a single roof bar and a canoe loader thing for my hitch receiver, but seeing some of the basket pics has got me thinking...but again, the problem of how to secure them down..

G
#19 ·
I have Kayaks a Travel Trailer and a Crew Cab with a Rambox. I was thinking of going to roof rack for the Kayaks. Because of the trailer I cant let the boats hang past the tailgate and because of the Rambox I cant find a bed rack. So I have been looking for roof rack options. I will be interested to see what you find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.