DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2011 1500-2500 Differences

5K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  GuyPavelo 
#1 ·
Morning.
So, I am starting to become unhappy with the fact that i purchased a 2011 2500 instead of the 1500...
I wanted the larger bed, on the crew cab, and the better height and stronger suspension, but not if the motor would be different, or eco be different, or the fact that i cant smoke the tires up...

Whats the real difference list going on here?

Is traction control always on? Can i turn it off on this one somewhere?

Why is it so sluggish on takeoff and throttle response?
Obviously no eco mode on this one, so 11.2 is my top mpg so far, even highway...

Seems on the highway, overdrive is out of the powerband completely at speed limit here in ct, of 65... im trying to maintain speed at 1300 rpm or so, and all i do is watch the mpg plummet.

Why do i get better city than highway mileage on this thing?

No clearance lamps on mine... If i were to install them, is the harness still under the roof sheetmetal?

Why is there a delay when i hit the horn? Seems counter the reason for having a horn in the first place...

Lil bit of a rant, so sorry for that. Just traded in my 05 ctd that was loaded and even though i like the new one, feel i was taken a bit by being misled by the dealer.

Thx.

See less See more
#2 ·
traction control is always on and can only be partially disabled.
throttle response can be improved with a tuner.
what gear ratio do you have? I'm assuming you are the 17" tires. yeah 1300 rpms is really low and I bet it kicks down to 4th gear a bunch or you are having to use more pedal then needed. is it windy or hilly in your area?

can't help with clearance lights or horn question.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response...
How do i partially disable the traction control... unlike the 1500, i dont have a tc button...
Tuner will come shortly, just wondering if i should wait on diablo to report a 2011 tuner, or just get the 2010...
I dont have the 4:10 ratio... or so i have been told, since that is an option with cost and is not part of the sticker. The dealer couldnt tell me the actual ratio of the truck. I asked like 20 times...
17" check. it does kick gears on the highway alot. If i bring it up to 75, i get up to 2100 rpm, and my mileage does go up, but cops here are on itchy finger lately, so not looking to get a ticket soon... havent had one in many years now... It is a lil windy, some hills. Not flat as the panhandle, but nothing out of the ordinary. Not like climbing mountains at all...

Thanks again for the response!

#4 · (Edited)
sorry I didnt know the 2500 don't have an ESP button. you should be able to find your gear ratio on this sticker on the axle.

I just looked at the Dodge site and I'm guessing you have the 3.73 ratio based off the rpms you said you have at 65. Are you 2wd? A gear swap would make a world of difference but if you are 4wd you have to do both axles and then gets kinda expensive. I swaped my 3.55s to 4.10s and love it. I think I run about 2000 rpm at 70mph.

If Diablo releases a new update for the 2011 programmer you should be able to download and update the 2010 if that's what you end up buying. I'd be surprised if the tune is different but I bet if you called or emailed Mike at Diablo he would tell you. Check out their site.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
If you bought your truck new the window sticker will have your gear ratio also. The left side will list standard equip and if it has an optional ratio it will be listed on the right side.

edit: I just tried to build my own 2500 on the dodge site and I'm confident you have the 3.73s. The 3.42s only come with the diesel and the 4.10s are an option for both motors. So the only way to change your rpms is do a gear swap or get a smaller tire.

#6 ·
Aaah. Thanks for the pic. I will look for that today...
It is 4x4, and I just bought it, so dont think i will be doing a gear swap anytime soon... Thought I was buying what i was told i was being sold. Little aggrivated...

Will email Mike later today to confirm ideas for the 2011. Just looking to tighten it up sort of speak on the chip side. :)

Thx again!

#7 ·
There was no optional ratio on the right, but i will double check, but we were pretty sure we didnt see what it was coming with on the left...
Would have been the normal stock option i would imagine, if nothing else was noted on there...

#9 ·
That sounds right.
Too bad the ratio is horrid for highway driving in my state, or ny, or nj, or mass... Tri state area...

They should regionize the country, even in 5 regions, and suit ratios for that regions speed limits and areas... Just thinking out loud. :)

#10 ·
I own a 2010 2500 4x4. There is no traction control or MDS with the trucks. Driving on the hwy my best millage was in the 2100 rpm range and thats around 75. The worst spot for mileage for me was between 60-65. I had the gears changed to 4.10 since I tow a travel trailer and now the truck gets better mileage at 70. As far as turning the tires, it will do that with 4.10 gears but not so much with 3.73s. My mileage has gone down some do to colder weather and winter fuel but it will go back up. Right now I get 16 hwy and 12-13 in town, but when it was warm I got 18-20 hwy and 14 in town. With the 3.73 gears I was getting 11-13 in town and 15-16 hwy. My truck hates 92 octane fuel and does the best on 89. It runs fine with 87 but I would never tow with that in it. I have alway owned 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and my 09 TRX4 was my first half ton and I'm glad its gone. I like the bigger brakes, frame, suspension, cooling, tires, and tow ratings of the larger trucks. Your simply missing the MDS, 7 hp, traction control and the truck weighs a little more.

#11 ·
Sounds about right, and lays into my circumstances as well. Thx skin. Ill get that 7 horse soon enough... lol.

Thx for the reply. I will eventually look into swapping to the 4.10... Wonder how much the dealer would want for that, or if they would even do that... lol.

#12 ·
Sounds about right, and lays into my circumstances as well. Thx skin. Ill get that 7 horse soon enough... lol.

Thx for the reply. I will eventually look into swapping to the 4.10... Wonder how much the dealer would want for that, or if they would even do that... lol.
Well, I have a 1500 4x4 with 3.55 rears, and they told me to swap out to 3.92 would be about $1400. I really think they were quoting what a 2wd would cost not a 4. But, I only have 400 miles on it now, got the oil & filters changes yesterday so I have the Mobil one and K&N filter on it now. Going to take a 6000 mile trip with my 24 ft trailer, I will see how that goes before thinking about a gear swap. My friend has his with 3.55 gears and loaded with tools, pulling a trailer, he says it does great. This seems to be all subjective though. I have a truck with a 475 cummins, at 1850 ft lbs of torque that I have a driver in, he complained about power loaded out at 80,000 lbs. He's young, expecting car like performance. I'm old and started out with a 290 cummins with about 1,050 ft lbs of torque. So I drove it and found it to be pulling well. Checked it into cummins anyway to have it checked out on the dyno. All is well, the mechanic told my driver not to expect any 0-60 sub 7 second times. He chalked it up to youth. No one vehicle suits all purposes.

#16 ·
it seems to me that going with a 20" wheel would give you better mileage, borrow some to see
i was visiting family in Watertown, Ct in July & August, saw a load of Rams back there

#18 ·
I would go with the 4.10s. And you don't need to reflash the PCM on the 09-11s. There isn't even an option for it on the Diablo tuners. After my gear swap I couldn't find it on my tuner so I went on Diablo's forum and found out it isn't needed.

sking - if someone told you it needed it I like to know what they used and how b/c it's contrary to everything I've found.

#19 ·
Everything is affected by the change in gears, your truck comes programed with your specific gear. I watched the tech change the setting and the choices for my truck were 3.42 3.74 4.10 4.56. Next screen had tire sizes and there were only 3 to pick from. So I have no idea how you came up with the idea you don't need to change ECM. I truly hope your not basing you info from a $250 tuner. You should check with your dealer not Diablo, they have no way to touch the ECM options for our trucks. For the record Diablo can be detected by Chrysler once removed and I don't care what Diablo claims about that. Keep in mind the OP has a 2500 truck and so do I, so if the 1500 is different so be it.

#22 ·
Basing it off my truck, but what I understand is the everything from shift speeds and shift points are affected. My example was the truck seemed like it shifted early after the gear change so I called my contact at a dealer and was told the truck was programed with a specific gear and it needed to be changed in the ECM. The guys who did the gears said they were not sure if anything else needed to be done since it was their first 2010 2500 gear change. After the flash the truck drove allot better. Your speed sensor is inside the axle and there is more than one. The others detect wheel slip thus activating the ESP if you have it. As far as ECM options there are lots that most techs dont know about and tuners will never have. It's amazing what higher level techs can do and I'm lucky to have a friend thats the head SRT mechanic here in south Texas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.