DODGE RAM FORUM banner

lower it.

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  DIY RT 
#1 ·
so i want to lower my 85 D150. I found out it has a air bag and a air shock system on it. so im prolly gonna have to take that out. but what is the best way to lower the truck. I dont want it to low..but i do want to lower it some. Also how hard is it to swap the old drum's to disc brakes? Thanks in advance.

G
#2 ·
Well, one way to lower it is with shorter springs or do a full airbag setup on the truck.

You have drums all the way around? Do you want to do all 4 corners? Then talk to SSBC about your needs. It's as easy as pulling off the old brakes, bolting up a caliper bracket with some dust shields, adding a proportioning valve and putting one of their kits in. In fact, they may have everything you need, including some stainless steel braided brake lines.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Well, one way to lower it is with shorter springs or do a full airbag setup on the truck.
Well im prolly gonna do away with the air bags i have now, they came with the truck, i tested em and they work but dont think i need them.

You have drums all the way around? Do you want to do all 4 corners? Then talk to SSBC about your needs. It's as easy as pulling off the old brakes, bolting up a caliper bracket with some dust shields, adding a proportioning valve and putting one of their kits in. In fact, they may have everything you need, including some stainless steel braided brake lines.
Ok that sounds good. Thanks for the help. Ill google them.

Good luck!
I lowered my 1980 D150 with van lower control arms (3") and an axle flip (6"). I have the complete write up on another site, but I bet the mods would frown on me linking you to it. If you'd like, I can post it here.
If you want to post it or email it to me that would be awesome. Thanks!

#3 ·
I lowered my 1980 D150 with van lower control arms (3") and an axle flip (6"). I have the complete write up on another site, but I bet the mods would frown on me linking you to it. If you'd like, I can post it here.

#9 ·
My first truck was an 87 Dodge Ram 150 Long Bed. I have been looking all over to find one but SWB. I live in SC, and wouldnt mind traveling a little ways to find one. I have a factory set of Dodge 20's to put on, and low a few inches.

Thanks

#13 ·
I use weld on spring perches & u-bolts from Speedway Motors

Here's my RamCharger that's going to get 2 3/4" lower than this using everything that's on it right now (stock springs Van LCA's) without going to Dak spindles yet

My goal is 8" rear & 6" front using mostly all Chrysler parts & retaining as close to stock ride as possible

#15 · (Edited)
I did a 2/4 drop on my 90 with springs and hangers, I found the parts through airbagit .com (formally known as truckin suspension) Front end 2” drop Air bag it no longer offer drop springs, but I cut “one” complete coil from a set of new (stock) coil springs. Rear end 4” drop I used 2” drop hangers #han-do7893 and 2” drop shackles #sha-do7893 for a 4” total drop, stock shocks are working well on both front and rear. I slow down for speed bumps but the 2/4 drop handles them fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.