DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Towing with a 2015 power wagon

15K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Mr.Bigshot 
#1 ·
Anybody with a 14/15 power wagon tow close to maximum capacity with their power wagons? I'm looking at a 35 ft travel trailer that has a hitch weight around 900 pounds and weighs fully loaded 8850 lbs max. I know the truck payload's only 1400 lbs. just wondering what you guys have towed and how it handled it

#4 ·
I wish I had your confidence about it, but I don't have my truck yet so I'll do some experimenting and see how it handles after I break it in a bit before I go taking any 2000 mile trips with it.

Yellow wagon- where about in upstate ny?? I'm about 35 minutes east of Rochester.

Battlerattle- thanks for the reply. I thought you have leaf springs in your 2011. Seems like the new suspension took a decent amount of payload capacity away.

#5 ·
I've towed around 5,000 with mine at it does it effortlessly. From what I understand the main reason the tow rating on these is lower than the standard 2500 6.4 trucks is the tires and wheels. The standard trucks have high load tires and steel wheels where as we have off road tires with a lighter load range and aluminum wheels.

Of course the spring rates are different and the front has the articu-link set up, but honestly, these are still 3/4 ton trucks. Swap out the tires and wheels from a standard 2500 and I wouldn't be afraid to tow 17,000 pounds with one.

#6 ·
Jared1956, so some extent you are correct on the tires. The tires that come on a PW (at least my 2012) are load range D. Lots of guys are putting load range E on for towing heavy and everything is fine. The other big part, like you said, is the suspension. It is softer than a standard 2500 to allow for the flex we can achieve. I know the leafs on my rear are softer than a typical 2500. This is just going off what I know

#10 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys. I hadn't heard of any air bags for the power wagons, I'll have to check into that more. Hopefully with a good weight distribution hitch and maybe air bags it might not be too bad. Just hope the air bags don't limit the rear axel travel to much.

I'd rather get a smaller trailer then lose off-road capability. Thanks again everyone.

#15 ·
I have a 14 laramie powerwagon and just pulled a 30 ft travel trailer from Florida to Colorado. Trailer weighs around 8500 pounds truck pulled it no problem and that's with a motorcycle in the bed. I did use a WDH though Truck sagged 2 maybe 2.5 inches without it but with the WDH it only sagged a smidge more than an inch. I'm pretty sure that anything you tow over 5000 lbs needs a WDH. And you won't need airbags with a properly set up hitch. Plus most WDH offer sway control and really help the handling of your rig. You should be fine without one but the benefits are just to good to pass up in my opinion. Sorry for the long response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.