DODGE RAM FORUM banner

aftermarket cai vs stock intake

23K views 85 replies 45 participants last post by  Intense-Dakota 
#1 ·
Cold Air Intake??

Is a cold air intake actually what it claims. the stock air box on the new rams look like they are basically already a cold air intake. what makes these after market ones so much better, is it because its a cone filter setup or what? can i really expect a 15 hp gain like the claim. also if they are the way to go will a 2011 kn cai fit on a 2012?

#73 ·
I have the Volant and when your foot is to the floor it is anything but quiet, but under normal driving there is no vacuum cleaner sounds. Who the hell knows if it added any power as it's the only performance mod so far, but the sound alone is worth it.

#76 ·
CAI on it's own is near worlthless.

CAI combines with other [performance] mods is [almost] always money well spent.

#77 ·
When I added the optional lower scoop to my Volant, thats when I notice mpg grains. My objective to go with Volant is that I wanted to pull cool air from two different locations outside the engine compartment. Plus the clean professional look it has is nice also.

#79 · (Edited)
Let's think about this logically. The whole universe of truck advertising is being able to claim more power and better mpg than the competition. Don't you think if for almost no extra expense Ram could up the power and mpg of their trucks they would? 390 reliable hp from a small block V8 is huge by any standard. You're not going to improve on that with silly bolt-on gizmos. The gains most people are claiming from the "performance" mods they've done are from adding up the claimed gains they see on the packaging these gizmos come it. If they ever actually dynoed their trucks I guarantee they would see a declines in horesepower, not increases.

#80 ·
Back in the days when I use to run my Camaro down a quarter mile, a lot of us guys were using cool cans for the fuel line. Basically a large metal can with a coil copper line in it with some water and lots of ice in them to chill the fuel to make it denser. We also were doing the cold air intake into the carburetors’ also believe it or not. Most of the late 60’s sports cars had some type of a cowl or some type hood scoop so apparently auto manufacture new the value of cool air. The designs of Dodge CIA I say in my opinion is not the greatest because on my original air cleaner, there was no force air from outside the engine compact, only outside source of air thru the fender. So now you cooler gas coming into the carburetor and cool air outside the engine compartment…..Better combustion. I would believe in everyday driving if you get better combustion, I would think you would get some better mpg.

#81 ·
That is interesting about the cold gas but a bit counterintuitive. Did it work? Engines don't burn liquid gasoline. They burn vapors emitted from liquid gasoline. I'd think cold gas = less vapor = a lean burn. Maybe good for for MPG but I'm not sure about horsepower. It would also cause the engine to run hotter than it should which also reduce power output.

Back in the days when I use to run my Camaro down a quarter mile, a lot of us guys were using cool cans for the fuel line. Basically a large metal can with a coil copper line in it with some water and lots of ice in them to chill the fuel to make it denser. We also were doing the cold air intake into the carburetors’ also believe it or not. Most of the late 60’s sports cars had some type of a cowl or some type hood scoop so apparently auto manufacture new the value of cool air. The designs of Dodge CIA I say in my opinion is not the greatest because on my original air cleaner, there was no force air from outside the engine compact, only outside source of air thru the fender. So now you cooler gas coming into the carburetor and cool air outside the engine compartment…..Better combustion. I would believe in everyday driving if you get better combustion, I would think you would get some better mpg.

#82 ·
Never said engines ran on liquid gas.....
Reducing fuel temperature will get you a denser air-fuel mixture though the carburetor. Cool, dense fuel will increase horsepower. More horse power better time at the 1/4 mile. All I'm saying there are ways to increase hp and mpg because they have been proven. Not saying big increses like some company states but there is some. Do I ran a cool can in my truck....no for I don't take it to the strip. If I did I would consider it. back then we made these but now buy them from any speed shop online. If you have a 1/4 mile track in your area go talk to some of the guys in the pit and ask them. They tell ya some of their tricks and then some.

#84 ·
OK let's clear the air here folks.. about cool cans.. biggest use was to keep vapor locak at bay.. hot summer day at the drag strip.. Ed Hamberger who was the national record holder for ever actually built an intake manifold that held dry ice to cool the fuel.. as far as CIA's as long as you are asking the air to be introduced from the engine compartment then "Cold Air Intake" not so much. Chrysler's dyno work in the 70's said you must introduce cold air from the outside at sufficent force to help atomize the fuel mixture..anyone of the folks selling CIA's that can lay claim to proven DYNO charts post 'em up

#86 ·
Hopefully to settle this warranty concern. First off, unless you are a lawyer specializing in this, I suggest reading up on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. In short, the ONLY way a company can deny a warranty in regards to aftermarket parts is after they "prove", not just say, but prove that your aftermarket parts caused the other part to fail. Good luck in proving that an air filter caused any part to fail unless it was made out of a material that doesn't filter appropriately but even they it's the warranty provided that has to show the proof that the filter caused the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.