DODGE RAM FORUM banner

55w 8k DDM HID Install on 2009 with dual headlights

Tags
headlight
35K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  garcia2389 
#1 ·
Here is my install of the DDM 55 watt kit on my 2009 Ram. I have the dual lamp setup and this kit worked perfectly. I can not speak for the quad lamp setup but this was a simple straight forward install. No need for any extra harnesses or any can-bus canceller.

1. Remove the radiator protector.
Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Hood

2. Remove the 4 bolts holding the grille.
Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting

3. You will have to pull straight out at each bottom corner of the grille once the bolts are removed to free the grille. There is a snap clip at each corner holding in place.
Automotive exterior Bumper Red Vehicle Auto part

4. Now you can start removing headlamps. There are two bolts in the front and one in the rear accessed by panel in fenderwell from tire side.
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Hood

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Auto part Wheel

Auto part

5. There is a white plastic tab that hold the headlight in place. Just lift up on the tab to be able to pull the headlight out. (note: there is still a snap clip holding it in place also, after lifting up on tab I recommend pushing from fenderwell side and pulling from front at the same time to remove the headlight.
Here is a picture of the locking tab.
Gun Trigger Automotive exterior Vehicle

Red Automotive exterior

See less See more
#29 ·
woodmw, Did your DDM kit come with the battery connectors? I assume so. I just received mine and I have no battery connectors, lol. Might have a hard time getting these to run w/o power.

#30 · (Edited)
Does anyone have the full HID setup for a 07 BH QC 1500? I've seen at least 3 different ways to do it. Headlights - 35W vs 55W, capacitors, resistors, canceler, etc. I'm not sure on what would be the way to go on the headlights. I'm going to put the 6000K or 8000K 35W in my fog lights but, I'm waiting to order until I figure out what to do with the headlights. Does anyone have a 06-08 Ram that has successfully completed this mod and has ran them for some time now with no issues???

#38 ·
Or you can magnetize your socket.
If anybody is interested in a local supplier (in Edmonton), send me a PM and I'll give you the name of the supplier I purchased my HID kit from. He's also on eBay, but he'll give you a better deal if you buy locally.

#44 · (Edited)
i havent actually gotten them yet, but from all that ive heard they are great. ill be ordering them once i get my credit card pin changed. ive got custom halo projector headlights, so i am going to buy one set at first to make sure they hold up, then buy 2 more sets for the fogs and lows. both the highs and lows are h1 so im going to try to test them out on 1 headlight so i dont damage both headlights if something bad happens. i ended up with 2 sets cause the halos were out on one of them so its ok if i test it on the broken one.

and im not worried about the install cause my family owns an auto shop so i can just go there if i have problems.

ive already talked to the creators of the headlights and they said hids will be fine, but they reccomend 35w and i want 55w.

#45 ·
Go 55W!

a few of us on here noticed one day that 55W tend to have less issues. Also for 4th gen quads do not get a realy harness just the basic raptor kit, not the one with slim ballasts and error cancellors

#46 ·
well, thats the idea. im just hoping that they dont burn the lenses on the projectors. the guy said that there is a chance of that happening cause they will be very close to the lens. if it does melt ill go with a 35w for the lows and 55w for the highs. and then there are the fogs. they are projectors as well and im going to try 55w if the low beams hold up.

#47 ·
oooo i didnt know you had projectors.

When i was talking to Jeremy/McFail Retro shop he said it shouldnt really be an issue if I used my 55W after a retrofit... food for thought?

#48 ·
yeah well the people who make them say that it shouldnt be a problem, but there is a chance that since the hids are longer and therefore closer to the lens and it might melt or burn them if its too close. thats why im going to do a test run before i pay the full money for all kits and then have the headlights ruined.

better safe than sorry. especially if youre going to risk lots of money.

#49 ·
Question any one in Canada get the DTR lights thing worked out on a 2009 I can't get mine to work they blink ,flash,and do all kinds of strange crap.back to stock oh yea the head lights go out when You use signal lights a real bright idea from Dodge at night on a Country road what Brain thought of that ???????Bush any ideas ????

#51 ·
Installed my set from Retro Solutions last night. Went pretty smoothly. The wiring harness that retro sells for the 09+ rams works very well. The only thing I noticed is that the stock drivers side plug does not clip in and had to be taped down.

#52 ·
I am having issues with mine. I plug the capacitor side clip into the stock headlight (white conector) and the low beams will go on some time and only stay on for a sec. But if I connect it to the (black) high beam they will work when I switch the high beams on.

I tried looking at the diagram but I must be missing something, I am using the H1 kit to put in to spyder lights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.