DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Change the color of your Door controls, Dash, and overhead console!

85K views 98 replies 54 participants last post by  WSUMiller 
#1 · (Edited)
Props to Leebroox on the ChallengerForumz! His write-up inspired me to do this one.

I had been toying with the idea of doing this swap since I got the truck. I never really cared for the generic green that Mopar uses everywhere. I wanted to do a how-to on this and document everything, since I figured there are probably more that may wanna give this a shot.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a pro electrician by any means. I simply grew up around this stuff and have a bit more knowledge than most when it comes to this. I hope this helps any of you guys that may have some doubt about doing this type of swap. It's not for the faint of heart, but it's definitely not impossible either.

I will be documenting these mods separately, and will keep them all in this thread for easy reference.
1. Door Lock/Window Controls
2. Dash Center Stack Controls (AC and Heating controls, traction control buttons, etc.)
3. Headlight Switch
4. Overhead Console including the Homelink buttons
5. Center Console PRND Shifter indicator
6. Steering Wheel Controls

The first mod is for the door lock/window controls. I am only showing the drivers door, but the other doors are all the same.
(stay tuned for the rest of the mods later, but in no specific order...)

Here's what you'll need to get started.

1) Soldering iron with a pencil tip. The smaller, the better.

2) Solder (preferrably 60/40 rosin core solder - the thinner the better)

3) De-soldering braid (solder-wick)

4) T20 Torx screwdriver

5) 2 small flat screwdrivers

6) Assorted Trim tools

6) 11 3.2mm x 2.8mm Blue LEDs (or whatever color you prefer) These are SMD (surface mounted devices) and are VERY tiny! ORDER EXTRAS! You may need a magnifier to work with these. The 2.2mm x 1.4mm LEDs are literally the size of a fleas ass! Just ask Leebroox!

These are the ones I used and recommend:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...ReHwWQlob9AISq6jrHwbBHG9J94KQHNKevPv2k5b2IKR3

Removing the controls is very simple on our trucks. Just use your choice of trim tools and pry up/remove the switch control module from the door. I'm only showing the driver's door control, but all the others are the same.

Once that's done, simply unplug the harness.

Take the switch inside to your workplace and disassemble.

Be very careful when taking it apart! Make sure you do so with it upside-down so as not to have everything fall apart on the floor.

Now we're down to the nuts of it. I opted to leave the amber on/off indicator LEDs alone. (personal preference) The hardest part here is removing the button contacts from the PCB. This piece must be de-soldered completely before removing it from the board. Try to to not get the board too hot when removing the LEDs. The traces on the board may lift, forcing you to replace the whole thing. Also, make sure you don't get the LEDs too hot when soldering them to the PCB. You will ruin them, or at the very least, shorten their lifespan.

You MUST make absolutely sure when you're doing this mod that you have the polarity correct on the LEDs!! I can't stress this enough. These are hard enough to change as it is. You don't want to have to go back and re-do them because you got them backwards! Check the cathode on the original LED first.

Once you have them all changed, simply reverse the above procedure for reassembly. I opted to test my work first by just plugging in the module itself in the door. You must turn on the key to see the door switches illuminate. The pic below sucks, I know. Trust me, these are very dark blue and look absolutely awesome in the dark! They are NOT white.

I hope you guys can make some sense of all this. I'll be documenting the other stuff soon.

Scott

Attachments

See less See more
#86 ·
So I'm now considering doing this. Does anyone have pics of red in their 3rd gen? 02-05 interior? I'd love to do red but don't want it to turn out purple what's the best way to avoid this or is red just not really an option?
If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it I want to start this as soon as I can but I'm really keen on doing red if it will actually BE red not purple.
Thanks.

#88 ·
just FYI the only reason my ac knobs are purple is because I did not change those leds and factory they are a slight shade of blue in the white so when I put red marker over the light diffuser blue+red=.....u bet. PURPLE! lol in retrospect I probably should have know better but o well it doesn't bother me that much and its still pretty sweet to have everything else on the dash, doors, center console and steering wheel red.

#90 ·
I was waiting for someone to do this mod! I did it on my Fusion three years ago, and love it till this day. Do you intend to do the speedpmeter/RPM/Fuel etc. gauges? On my Fusion, I had to use sand paper to remove the paint behind the panel so the blue light to show through.
[/URL][/IMG]

#99 ·
6) 11 3.2mm x 2.8mm Blue LEDs (or whatever color you prefer) These are SMD (surface mounted devices) and are VERY tiny! ORDER EXTRAS! You may need a magnifier to work with these. The 2.2mm x 1.4mm LEDs are literally the size of a fleas ass! Just ask Leebroox!

These are the ones I used and recommend:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Avago-Technologies/HSMN-A100-P00J1/?qs=/ha2pyFaduhXUMGm9eZReHwWQlob9AISq6jrHwbBHG9J94KQHNKevPv2k5b2IKR3
I know this is an old post. I have a 2015 Ram and the door switch panel appears to be the same. I want to switch to red lights, but I don't know much about LEDs. Can someone help me figure out exactly which LEDs I would need to order to successfully change things over?

I have a spare switch insert so I can practice with it before the ones in the truck. Any help is appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.