DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2005 4.7 Questions

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SilverFire 
#1 ·
Okay, be warned, I am an utter noob when it comes to dodge truck engines. My main experience is working on my old race cars, etc etc.

First thing, how intensive would it be to convert my 2WD to 4WD? Does that require a whole transmission swap out, or simply replacing the front end parts and putting in the 4WD system? (I know a LOT of parts in the front end will have to be changed, I'm currently researching specs as much as I can)

DOHC conversions...do they exist? If so, what gains/losses are seen by swapping over?

Tuner kits, what ones have you all used, and what kind of reliability do you get from them? Are they worth it early on to save fuel and maximize power when I need, or should I wait till I get it to a mild build?

Last one. The exhaust on my truck has a very deep and noticible growl, which is great, but that would be an aftermarket, wouldn't it? (You can hear the exhaust with the windows up and the radio kept down some)

I really couldn't find anywhere better to put all this, sorry if I messed up!

See less See more
#2 ·
The stock 4.7 comes with a pretty aggressive exhaust note from Dodge. I would recommend cams, headers, '08 intake, and looking at the Hypertech tuner.

Changing 2wd to 4wd is really not a worthwhile swap to the average person. By the time you fabricate everything needed, you may as well just sell the 2wd and get a 4wd.

#3 ·
Eh, I have access to a shop where I can cut and weld to my heart's content, and I like a challenge.

(I also got the truck from Car-Mart, don't have the credit to get one from a conventional dealer...that means I'm sitting with this one for some time.)

#5 ·
Here's what I'm looking at for right now:

New heads. I want to convert the 4.7l to DOHC, with a more pronounced cam profile.

Exhaust headers. Definately a must with the higher performance heads.

Supercharger. Don't need a reason for THAT.

CIA. I'm thinking a custom dual cone CIA system, with a switchofff to go to a breather stack in case of high water (which we get a lot here in Texarkana)

Overall...a rather large chunk of cash, but broken down into several smaller mods, manageable.

#8 ·
If there's not any available, I know a few shops that can take a set of SOHC heads, and design new DOHC heads, using my truck as the test platform.

Cool thing is, if I can get some noticible interest in the DOHC conversions, I get either a discount, or the heads free, depending on how well they sell.

Bad thing, they're in Cali, and I'm in Texas.

#13 ·
Currently there are absolutely NO cams available for the 4.7L engine... The H/O cams are GREAT cams but they have been on National back order for over 6 months.

We have been working hard trying to convince COMP CAMS that there is a demand for 4.7L cams. If you need or think you may want cams for your 4.7L down the road now is the time to speak up and let your voice be heard. They will not make them if YOU don't stand up and tell them.

we need all the help we can get.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.