DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone Ever Try These?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  kewlguy53403 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I look forward to your report, I'm thinking of the very same ones.

#5 ·
Lights came in last night and on the initial look they seem to be pretty well built and the finish seems to be quite good. They are not entirely plug and play, although from the searching I did before ordering I did expect this. So the HID bulbs and balasts are wired and ready to go and plug into the existing harness however since there is no factory harness for LEDs and Halos, those have to be spliced into existing wires. I have a little bit of wiring knowledge so I don't think this will be difficult. I hoping to get them in over the weekend as well as my Magnaflow that showed up last night too!

#6 ·
Ok so i got these installed and I must say they look great, that however is about the only positive thing I have to say. Although they fit pretty well and look pretty sweet, the light output from the HIDs is mediocre at best, when they work that is. The HIDs seemed to run fine while the engine was off and the lights were on, but once the engine was started the lights would flicker and eventually shut off. The light from the drivers side is weak, the light from the passengers side is better, however the ballast from the passengers side hums pretty loud so I expect something isnt right there and will probably fail pretty quick. The LEDs are decent but the Halos are barely even noticable.

I would stay away from these HID projectors from protuning lab and try something else. If I can, Im going to return them, if not i guess i just learned an expensive lesson.

#7 ·
Thanks for the update(s) GolfSIX. You just saved me alot of $ and effort. Hope you can return em.

#11 ·
I was ready to by a set also, maybe I'll check out the recons. How do you know they work. Seems like everytime I think I've decided on a set, I come across someone that has had issues, have there been a lot of people use the recons with positive outcomes

#10 ·
I dont think theres any problem with the install , as the HID portion of the install is plug and play. From what ive read here and elsewhere I need to get something to trick the Ram computer into thinking the power draw is still the same as stock or else the computer shuts the power off to the light thinking theres a burnt out bulb.

#13 ·
From what ive read here and elsewhere I need to get something to trick the Ram computer into thinking the power draw is still the same as stock or else the computer shuts the power off to the light thinking theres a burnt out bulb.
That's what I meant. They should be able to tell you if you need a relay, capacitors, cancelers, digital ballasts or some combination thereof. Every other company I've corresponded with has been able to tell me what I need to get their lights working with my truck so hopefully these guys can too. If they can, it would save you experimenting on your own and if they can't, send them back.

Good luck!

#15 ·
I wonder if you can get these headlamps and put in 55w HID's from somewhere else. Are the HID's or where they go in the headlamp a standardized size?

#17 ·
I dont know if theyre ac or dc ballasts, ill be taking them out tmrw until the error code eliminators show up as i dont want to be driving with no lights for the next week and ill try and find out what kind of ballasts they are.
As for the opening of the housing, they certainly do not look like any standard opening that ive seen before but I guess if u knew what bukb type it is u could just order that bulb from a different company.

#19 ·
I have the same junk as you, the HIDs output BLOWS and that is putting it very lightly, then at car wash yesterday and sure enough the seal is shot and got water in headlight assembly, and my driver side HID is toast........... I got my 2nd hand to give it a try , but stay as far away from these as you possibly can.....Have read other reviews where people went back to stock housing and installed HIDS and have way better light output..........Go custom or go stock housing with HIDS period

#22 · (Edited)
Are the Pro Tuning Lab ones made by Spyder or someone else? I have read good things about Spyder. Also are the ones people are complaining about not being bright enough CCFLs?

#23 ·
The spyders are not that bright (about 1/2 as bright as thatof a newer BMW). I can't speak to anything else. Rumor is the Spyder's and Recon are very similar. I'm not sure you'll get an off the shelf very bright halo. Maybe if you have someone retrofit, custom fit a halo you can. I think I saw someone on here that does that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.