DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Light inside the console

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  usajdm 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever installed a light into the center console?

#3 ·
#4 ·
LEDs use so little power and generate next to nothing heat if you didnt want to get into switches and everything you could wire one to be on any time the truck is and never have to worry. Plus at ~2 a bulb you could replace them every time at 500K hours or whatever it is when they burn out

#6 ·
True, LEDs use an extremely low amount of power, but to leave them on like that would shorten the life immensely.
Theyd die out way before projected hours.
Number one enemy to a LED is heat, and its biggest problem is that it produces its own great amount of heat.
Thats why, true LED lighting systems that are meant to be used for extended periods(such as DRLs, taillights, etc) all have large heatsinks attached.

those look like they would work. Could you tap into that aux inside the console?

My original idea was to tap into a wire that comes on with the headlights, like my cupholder light, but that would be quite the job to hide the wires.
Yes, tap off the back of the aux. port and use a switch like these here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pin-switch-Hood-trunk-/140602441511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bc8eff27
or my choice:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-15A-Long-Lever-Microswitches-AC250V-Micro-Switches-/320754973513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aae7c7b49

Mount the switch near the hinge of the lid.
When the lid opens it will act like the doors on your car.
Turning itself off when the lid closes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#5 ·
those look like they would work. Could you tap into that aux inside the console?

My original idea was to tap into a wire that comes on with the headlights, like my cupholder light, but that would be quite the job to hide the wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.