DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Best HID Kits for Front Head Lights and Fogs?

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  BOISEDJ 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have someone with a 2008 dodge Ram 1500, manual, v8. I got them a nice CAI for xmas and since driving there and back last xmas, I noticed that the Front head lights are crappy at night. Specially in bad weather, just not enough light. I'm used to HIDs on my car and love them. Not sure where to get HID kits for this truck. Also looking at possible fog lights as well as this truck didn't come with them and would like to get them in HID if possible. I presume the fogs will require the full housings. Just the louvered plastic inserts are in place at the moment.

Are these easy DIY or moderate DIY installations? :4-dontknow:

Please let me know where I can get the best fronts and fogs kits online as someones birthday is this weekend. ;)

Hope there not too spendy. Looking for the standard bright white colored HIDs, NOTHING colored or crazy. :thk:

Thank you for your time. :sad:

#2 ·
With adding HID's you'll want to get some projectors too, so you don't blind others. You'll need to find some projector headlamps ($250-$500) or do a retrofit (or have someone do one for you).

Adding the HID's is almost all plug & play. I surf a desk for a living and I figured it out :D If you do a quick search for 'HID' you'll find tons.

#4 ·
Well you can get a few places i prefer carid.com they are the same as recon but 200 cheaper and you can also get the hid kits from them two. As for the recons you have to drill out the housing to get the hid bulb to fit.
http://www.carid.com/2008-dodge-ram-headlights/
As far as the fogs id say just google it now also remember the fog hid's are plug and play but for headlights you need a separate wiring harness which carid supplies for free unlike other sites that charge for them.

#6 ·
Well you can get a few places i prefer carid.com they are the same as recon but 200 cheaper and you can also get the hid kits from them two. As for the recons you have to drill out the housing to get the hid bulb to fit.
http://www.carid.com/2008-dodge-ram-headlights/
As far as the fogs id say just google it now also remember the fog hid's are plug and play but for headlights you need a separate wiring harness which carid supplies for free unlike other sites that charge for them.
I actually had the opposite experience from DDM. My head's were plug and play (with the Spyder Halo/LED Projectors) and my fogs, I had to splice and wire in a spare connector that came with the headlights.

Just be prepared to to some mild wiring or ordering of connectors. Worst case you open it up and you don't know what to do just post a bunch of pics and someone will help you. You have to start somewhere right?

#5 ·
I like my combination. I have had any kinds. Right now i have 10k 55W for headlights and 3k 35W for fogs. The little tint of blue with yellow lights up the road perfectly. I have had many other combinations and this is my favorite.

#7 ·
OK then. I just ordered high and low kit for the fronts, chrome fog assy kit and the 5000k HID kit for the fogs. This should keep birthday boy busy for a while. Will post back on how it goes and try and take pics. Thank you all for the info. :wavey:

#9 ·
Did you order the HID Headlights size for the projectors and not the truck? They are different sizes.

#11 ·
Technically you don't need projector, you can make it work but you may also be blinding other drivers and some states have laws against it. In the end you'll only be irritating other drivers more than anything. I doubt you'd actually get a ticket or even pulled over for your headlights as long as they are mostly white (at or under 10k in color).

#13 ·
In Switzerland the hid are forbidden too.
I mounted the recon smoked projector headlights with 4600k hid.

Are there any proper, selfregulating HID-Headlights around for the Ram 4th gen?

#14 ·
What is a self regulating HID? I'm not sure what you mean.

#19 ·
self regulating means it automatically adjusts the lights in situations of load (slope) or such things to not brighten cars which are crossing you.

You see that at cars which have originally installed Xenon Headlights.
If you start the light, the lightbeam moves up and down for one or two seconds, then its positioning himself.

#21 · (Edited)
I got my kits from DDM for my Ram, my fathers Ram, my Camaro, my mothers Suburban, and my girlfriends F150 and have never had a bad experience with them. I also have never tried to get a hold of them on the phone or anything. It seems to be the bad reviews from people that try and get in touch with them to see what they need or to order over the phone.

Just know what you need and order the 55W raptor kit with the thick ballasts. If your just looking for pure white the 8K will be good, if your like a slight lue tint get the 10K, its what I have and they are amazing. My high beams give me less visability than my low beams.

Contrary to popular belief you DONT have to have projectors with HIDs. I have yet to be flashed or flipped of or anything and I do TONS of night driving.

#22 ·
Kewl, thanks for the info. Seems that people at carid.com are pretty nice. Have online support and the guy helped me out while looking around and ordered from them. Very helpful. I'll post results back after someone opens the package for his b-day. :Wow1:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.