DODGE RAM FORUM banner

LED Resistor Install

16K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  brad12kx 
#1 ·
I rec'd my led tail light resistors today and need to install them. My tail lights are 3 wire. One is blk; ground I assume and the other two are white/green stripe. Which wire is the + for the turn/brake, middle or end?

#3 ·
You can use a volt meter and probe the wires and ahve someone step on the brake/turn the signal on and see which one gets current.

seems like it might be a little easier and not as hard to repatch

#4 ·
On the left side -
White/Dark Green - Stop/Turn
White/Light Green - Tail marker
Black - Ground

On the right side -
White/Yellow - Stop/Turn
White/Violet - Tail marker
Black/Grey - Ground

#6 ·
Let us know how you make out......with pix! :smileup:

#7 ·
good info brad hope that helped him out:)

#8 ·
What's the best way to mount the resistor. One post that I found mentioned mounting the resistor to a piece of aluminum due to the high heat output. I can't see just letting it hang loose. Should I mount it to the inside of the lens cavity somewhere?

#9 ·
The resistors need air flowing past them for cooling, so be careful with mounting them. A vertical surface is good. If you have to mount to a horizontal surface, then fabricating a piece of aluminum to mount them to would be an asset.

For the most part, leaving them loose offers some good cooling advantages. Just make sure you insulate the ends well (electrically that is). :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.