DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Driving WOT

918 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
Heres an interesting question, What rpm's do you guys take your trucks to while accelerating normally any other day.

Right now i never take my truck past 3k rpm while accelerating and i think thats giving it, so i'm trying to figure out if its okay to take the rpms higher.

#2 · (Edited)
I live on a very busy road and if I never took mine past 3k I'd have to just back it into it's spot instead of leaving.

Manual trans: :Racing: 4500-4800 on occasion.

"occasion" meaning:
(I live on the bottom of a small hill at the bottom of a blind curve)

Loaded tandem gravel truck that wasn't out the left, window but is now in the rear-view, and is applying grease to my tailgate in an attempt to mount me.

#3 ·
I don't find much need to go over 2500, even on lets say sperited driving. But my truck seem's to do it's best at low rpm's. My cam flat line's at 3000

#4 ·
Those are low rpm engines producing the bulk of their torque under 3 or 4k rpm's. The cam pretty much dictates power band. I had a 300 Ford six that when stock didn't have anything past 3k rpm and red lined somewhere around 4k rpm. I changed the cam, valve train, and did some head work and spun it to 6,500 rpm easily. I had to stop there as the bottom end was stock and was very heavy and didn't like spinning that fast, but the engine still made good power at that rpm and had more in the cam.

When you get to the point where it is just making noise and sounds like it's going to explode, you are past your usable power band lol!

#7 ·
Maby mine is different being an extend cab manual. All my power is below 3000. If its just the slightlyst bit wet and im lower then 4th at 1500 to 2000 rpm it will break the tires. But above that its just screams at me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.