DODGE RAM FORUM banner

First Mod Complete

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  blackram12 
#1 ·
So I've had my 2012 Express for 2 weeks now and have been pretty happy with it, the odometer now reads 210 miles. I'd also like to say thank you to everyone who takes part in making this site what it is, as I've learned a great deal about my truck on here in a short time. And as far as I can tell there are also a lot of good and helpful people that are part of this forum :smileup:

Anyway...to the mod. We all realize the factory dual exhaust on these trucks is for nothing much more than cosmetic, sure doesn't sound like I'm driving a 400hp Hemi, so I decided to upgrade. I went with a kit from truckexhaustkits.com I ordered a Flowmaster Super 44, and 2 1/2 mandrel bent pipe, with slash cut tips. (so did away with the resonaters) the kit comes with all the hardware and hangers and pre-bent pipe....and is only around $300. I will say the pipes did not line up exactly with the bumper cutouts, (too narrow) we had to add short 4 inch or so pieces to get things to line up...but still finished the job with the truck up on jackstands in about 4 hours. And I have to say, it sounds AMAZING...night and day difference. I couldn't be happier :smiley_thumbs_up: I was expecting it to sound better, but it sounds like I said, amazing. I've fallen in love all over again haha. And I have to say I'm not easily impressed, I've owned a 1970 Chevelle SS with a 396 and dual exhaust. And I currently own an 88 Iroc with a 383 stroker, with Super Comp longtube headers and electronic cutouts. And I still say the truck sounds awesome! The moral of my story it, if your on the fence about what to order. If you go with this set up, I promise you won't be disappointed. I feel like I'm driving the truck as it should sound. Can't wait to get the CAI on now!

See less See more
#3 ·
sounds like a really nice setup. I cant wait to get exhaust on my truck, although i havent even seen it yet im sure thats going to be the first thing im going to want to do to it

#4 ·
Thanks guys!

Absolutely, that 26 inch long factory muffler (that could prob double as a hot water heater) is so restrictive.

Sounds more like I added 200 horsepower than swapped the muffler and tailpipe haha.

1st mod worthy for sure. CAI, tinting the window, and headers are next!

#8 ·
I couldn't say a noticeable power increase (the illusion of one for sure with all the extra sound) But if it added say 10 horsepower....you wouldn't really notice it anyway. But I did do a 0-60 that felt pretty damn fast (for what it is, a 4 door 4 wheel drive truck) I'm thinking coupled with a CAI the truck should be noticeably more responsive than stock.

My computer is being very uncooperative atm I can't even get a pic to upload, nevermind a sound clip.....which prob wouldn't do it justice anyway...but I will when I can.

#11 ·
1 thing I did notice is the truck always wants to be in a high gear, I mean it's already in 5th by 40-45mph so it's always at like 1000rpms! So It's kinda like I have to be coming onto it to hear the exhaust, (make it downshift) tow haul mode didn't seem to change it much. I guess I could always keep in a gear of choice manually. Would that be hard on the transmission at all? (I'm talking like 2000 rpms)

#13 ·
Midnight express, not at all bud. The only thing you might notice is a very slight decrease in fuel economy if thats any concern. Around town with speeds below 50 mph, I habitually use manual shift mode and keep it in 4th just to keep from luggin the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.