DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Educated opinions wanted ( Mufflex 14" 18" 24" or Delete ? )

6K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  dusterman 
#1 · (Edited)
About to place my order with Mufflex because of the ease of install on the product but before I order I wanted to ask all you owners out there with real personal experience with a Mufflex on your truck

I have a 2012 Ram Quad Cab 4wd Big Horn
and of the choices Mufflex offers I want the system that sounds like a Hemi Should and will turn heads but won't drive me crazy inside the cab or give the kids headaches in the back seat I plan to keep the resonators in the stock duals

I have watched all the vids here and on youtube but every DOD14M vid I watched sounds different than the last so I would love to get real people with real opinions to weigh in

Thanks Guys
Loving this site best community of owners I have ever come across

#2 ·
well i have the delete kit i bought used from a guy here on the forums that said it was too loud for him. I was a bit apprehensive at first. I was leaning towards the delete kit or the 14" I was looking for an aggressive sound that would draw attention to my truck. But was afraid it would be too loud. on the other hand didnt want the 14" to not be loud enough. I too listened to all the sound clips and couldnt really get an idea of loud any of the different exhausts really were. the delete kit can be loud sometimes, and on the other hand while cruising it is pretty quiet. i noticed most of the volume comes in just over 2000 rpm. The MDS is deffinalty more noticable but it really isnt bad to me. Oh and i am 37 and have 3 kids and none of them have any complaints. Guess it just depends on what you want, I was looking for and aggressive muscle sound and i found it with the delete kit. the 14" I assume is a bit more mellow. Every one that hears my truck loves the sound. hope this helps.

#3 ·
I would choose the 18" and SERIOUSLY consider cutouts...best of both worlds...

#8 ·
Ya know Fred you and me are on the same page. That is my exact setup!

#4 ·
I sold RamFD the delete :D. I did feel it was a bit much, but only after awhile (and lots of highway driving). If you are running around town it really isnt bad but cruising the highway kind of sucks in my opinion. I really liked it at first actually but after awhile I got a little tired of it honestly.

I ended up getting the 18" and feel that its just not quite enough for my liking. I think the 14" wouldve been perfect now that Ive had either side of it, but the 18" will be fine. Gives a nice growl but not really loud at all.

If you dont mind waking the neighbors, go with the delete kit. If you want a good tone w/ little growl then go with the 18" or 24" (probably 18"). If you want a bit more noise, then grab the 14".

#6 ·
Yeah I agree with the cut outs.....raceland offers a remote controlled one I'm about to slap on. I have a 22" maggie with the y-pipe and it sounds like stock until you smash the gas.

#10 ·
I have to agree with Idrivemav that is exactly it,
the only wear and tear i can report so far is on the tires. you will want to light up the tires more just to hear the engine. it makes it a lot more fun to drive thats for sure. I would say if you aren't sure go with the 14", BUT I LOVE the delete kit on mine, just sayn.......

#9 ·
Are there any negatives to running the truck with the delete kit ? just asking because with mine being new and having under 500kms (I'm in Canada) I don't want to cause any early problems I might regret later I have called Dodge and as for warranty there are no issues at all but I am talking more wear and tear on engine and parts with no actual muffler so to speak

#12 ·
Same here cutouts with a long magnaflow all the way loud when you need it and quiet when you dont.

#13 ·
I got the magnaflow y-pipe and the 18" mufflex. The throttle response is night and day. The sound is awesome. It might be my age but I did not want anything too loud but I also wanted to be heard (if that makes any sense). I am very happy with the 18 mufflex and would recommend to anyone.

#14 ·
I have an 09 SLT with the single outlet exhaust and was thinking about deleting the muffler and just putting a pipe in its place and keeping the resonator on the end. Anyone done this? Everything on you tube that I have seen has been trucks with factory duals. I am open to thoughts and suggestions, but keep in mind I no longer have much of a budget for mods since my daughter was born.

#16 ·
I have the 24" and really like the low growl it has. It is pretty quiet once you hit cruising speed. I can definately hear it in the cab under load. I hope its not too loud when pulling my trailer. I really thought it would be quiter. I really wonder how loud the 18" is. Maybe I am just too old.:4-dontknow:

#17 ·
been running the Mufflex 14" for about a week now and so far loving it no leaks and no install issues however it sounds odd when ECO/MDS kicks in so I found a way around that

all you do is for guys like myself with the 2012's 6 speed trans once you get into D(DRIVE) and get moving you put it into 5th by pressing the +- buttons and when in 5th press both +- at once quickly and it will jump right to 6th gear and 6th will stay showing on the screen however it shifts through all gears and everything works proper it just eliminates MDS and thats where I got all my drone when it went into ECO/MDS

for guys with 09-2011's do the same put it in 5th manually and hit the +- at the same time it will stay in 5th and eliminate ECO/MSD

keep in mind you have to do this every time you turn it off or on or use reverse because it resets it but at this point for me anyway it's second nature I don't even notice myself doing it anymore its almost a reaction after starting and putting it into D

#18 ·
It sounds like you want the 18, nice sound, loud when you get on it. Even the 18 is going to slightly louder cruising on the hwy than what you have now (w/ 3.55 anything over 60mphis going to be a bit louder but not terrible) or 1500rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.