DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Help ID my 318

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Gen1dak 
#1 ·
recently bought a 92 yj. A guy stuffed in a 318 with 5 speed trans and transfercase. I was told it was all out of a full size dodge . Was alos told it used to be fuel injected and is now carburated. Here are the casting numbers i pulled off 9m318 11180492 . I need to order some parts for this 318 like valve covers oil pan and headers. SO if you can tell me what year this engine drive-train is from THAT WOULD BE GREAT THANKS

#2 ·
I'm not 100% sure on this but this is the best I can come up with, and it seems logical. The numbers break down to this:
9M = year/plant of production.
318 = engine size
1118 = year code
0492 = daily production code

In my reference book, 9M = '69 or 79, and the year code = 1965. Obviously, those don't add up right, so I am guessing you have a 1989 block. My book only goes up to 1980, and the OP claimed it was F/I. So, there's my guess, it's an '89 engine.

#4 ·
I did a little more searching, and I think I have a way for you to tell the difference. In 1989, Chrysler was still using what they called the LA engine. In 1992, the Magnum series came out and the LA design was ended. I didn't think about the possibility of your engine being a 1999. Look at your valve covers. If you have 5 bolts holding the cover on, it's an LA Series engine, thus 1989. If there are 10 bolts holding it on, it is the Magnum series engine and is likely a 1999. The exact year isn't that important, but knowing whether it is an LA or Magnum makes a big difference.

#8 · (Edited)
If it's an LA (pre-Magnum):
Valve covers: 68-91 273-360.
Oil pan: 68-91 318 BUT sump location must be considered relative to what it's in now (such as forward or rear sump with matching oil pickup). Typically, car 318's had forward dumps, trucks had rear sumps.
Same with headers. They fit 273-360, LA and Magnum, but configurations vary relative to vehicle.
Need to figure out what the engine is to help narrow down what's behind it.

#9 ·
a couple things that i found

Locate the casting date is located on the block. It is in standard date coding, 2.25.93, for example and may be located on either side of the block, but is commonly located on the driver's side of the block, above the freeze plugs. The example 2.25.93 decodes as February 25, 1993. The casting date may be near the casting clock, which designates the hour the block was cast. Magnum engines were manufactured from 1993 to 2002, so verifying the date code helps identify the engine.

Read more: How to Identify a Chrysler LA Magnum Engine | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7706969_identify-chrysler-la-magnum-engine.html#ixzz1s9YvK5DE

My best guess
9 = 1999 year
m = Mound Rd engine plant
1118 = November 18th
0492 = engine code
http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/5_2v8.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.