DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil Monitor Reset Question

2K views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  Mr. Ed 
#1 ·
Hi, guys! First post on this forum. Here's my question:

I usually do my own oil changes before the oil change warning on the EVIC. When the warning finally comes on I know how to reset it by turning the key to "ON" and pushing the accelerator slowly 3 times within 10 seconds. That part works OK.

What I'd like to know is: if I perform the reset procedure described above BEFORE the EVIC warning appears does this actually reset the oil monitor in the ECM or does the warning have to be visible on the EVIC for the reset procedure to work?

To put my question simply: Does the reset procedure work when the warning on the EVIC is not yet visible? Thanks in advance....

#3 ·
Mad Dog, thanks for the quick reply. From what you're saying, I can't reset the ECM oil monitor before the notification on the EVIC? If that's the case, then the reset procedure works ONLY when the message is displayed?

IOW, there's no sense in trying to reset the oil monitor in the ECM unless the message is displayed?

Hope I made myself clear.....thanks again for the help.

G
#4 ·
Yes, that is correct. Although, I have not dug deep into the RAM EVIC (don't have one on my truck) to see if there is an option to lengthen the interval between notifications or even turn it off. That might be worth a try, Ed.

On my SRT I can set the interval through my NAV system or turn the notification off completely. I tend to keep track of my oil change interval manually in any event.

#5 ·
Thanks again, Mad Dog. I'll just keep changing the oil as I have in the past (usually before the notification on the EVIC) and if the notification comes on soon thereafter I'll just reset it as I normally do and not worry if the ECM has actually been reset. :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.