DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Throttle Body Cleaning Procedure

100K views 55 replies 32 participants last post by  Ohtrillo68 
#1 ·
The best way to clean a throttle body is to remove it from the manifold. While the one in the following photos is from a 4.0L, most without electronic throttle control are similar. Basic hand tools, a T20 torx bit, throttle body or carb cleaner, old toothbrush, scotchbrite pad (optional) and possibly a new gasket for the throttle body are all you need. Most of the time the gaskets will come off cleanly and can be reused but it's a good idea to at least make sure you can get one if needed before starting. Bear in mind this procedure is for non-ETC applications ONLY. ETC applications won't have the IAC motor and the use of carb or throttle body cleaners can harm the electronics on an ETC throttle body. Chrysler recommends the use of brake parts cleaner for the ETC assembly.

A typical Dirty throttle body after removal from the intake. (bottom view)

Remove the IAC motor with a T20 Torx bit. Be careful not to lose the rubber o-ring. Soak the pintle with Carb or throttle body cleaner and scrub with a toothbrush or scotchbrite pad until the carbon is removed, spray again to rinse, and allow to dry.

Your IAC should look something like this when finished.

Next, spray cleaner into the IAC passages and allow to soak and then use the toothbrush to scrub the passages until clean. You may need to scrub and rinse a few times.

I put the throttle body in a vise to make cleaning and photographing easier. If you use a vise, be careful not to clamp any sensors. Again, soak the buildup and scrub with a toothbrush or scotchbrite pad until clean. You'll likely need to work on it from both ends. Once finished, rinse thoroughly and rinse the IAC passages again if needed.

This is what the bore should look like when finished and ready for reassembly and installation. Just install the IAC (again, make sure the o-ring is in place), bolt the throttle body back on, reconnect the sensors and cables and fire it up.

See less See more
#5 ·
:smileup:Great work. Nice pics and step by step. If only i had a heated garage i would tackle somthing like that. It will have to wait until spring.:smiledown:

#14 · (Edited)
Throttle Body Removal and Cleaning [How-To]

Parts list

- 8mm Socket for the Throttle Cable brackets
- 10mm Socket or necessary size for battery terminal disconnect
- 13mm Socket for the bolts that hold the Throttle body itself down.
- #25 Torx driver for the IAC, MAP, and TPS
- Adjustable wrench [in my case, for the airhat removal]
- CRC Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner [or similar cleaning product
- Replacement gasket [good idea to have around, and about $2.50 from advanced auto or a similar place]

Procedures

1. Remove the negative battery connection Tool: 10mm Socket if applicable

2. a) Locate Air Intake and remove the assemblyTool: Adjustable Wrench or other necessary tool for removal of the air intake

2. b) Resulting image

3. a) Locate the IAC [Idle Air Control] and disconnect it

3. b) Locate the TPS [Throttle Position Sensor] and disconnect it

3. c) and Locate the MAP [Manifold Absolute Pressure] Sensor and disconnect it

3. d) Remove the Vacuum line as well

4. Disconnect the C-Clamps holding the throttle linkage. Note, the rear linkage goes to the Transmission [kickback] and the front two are for throttle and cruise control

4. a) From the furthest from the Throttle Body to the closest C-Clamp Connection.

4. b)

4. c)

5. Remove the Throttle Bracket Tool: 8mm Socket

5. a) The one on the side of the bracket

5. b) The two on the front of the bracket

6. Remove the Throttle Body Bolts Tool: 13mm Socket

#15 · (Edited)
7. Remove the Throttle Body and the Gasket

8. Remove all 3 Sensors from the Throttle Body. The torx driver is used to remove all of the sensors Tool: #25 Torx Driver

9. Resulting [Dirty] Naked Throttle Body

10. Cleaning the Throttle Body. Tool: Intake Cleaner of choice

Read the instructions on the can of cleaner as some have VERY strong fumes and will remove paint and stain clothing. With all of the sensor removed, liberally spray the CRC cleaner onto the areas you wish to clean. The stream essentially stripped all of the carbon off of the Throttle Body. Using a tooth brush and terry cloth I was able to strip all of the carbon I wanted off. Take the IAC sensor as well and clean that up. With the carbon removed from it's plunger and the area were it sits, your idle will smooth out. These are the results I wished to achieve. I believe 100% clean is attainable. I worked for about 95% because I will probably port/polish my Throttle Body in the near future.

Let the Throttle Body dry before re-installation.

11. Re-installation:

Follow the steps in reverse order. Add the New gasket before replacing the Throttle Body. Reconnect the battery and start it up to make sure everything was done correctly.

Good luck and post up if you need assistance :smileup:

#23 ·
Just installed my CAI, and decided to clean the throttle body while I was in there. Pulled the IAC to clean it. Used brake cleaner with a toothbrush. There was some corrosion on the tip that would not come off. I don't think a Scotch Brite would have been any more effective. Would emery cloth hurt it, or should I just think about replacing it? BTW, noticed that the belly pan gasket is leaking, so I'll be getting into it again soon.:doh:

Auto part

Auto part

#24 ·
what type of one do i have in a 97 ram 5.2L v8 and so basically you disconnect everything and pull it off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.