DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Paint Chip Repair

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dodgeboy360 
#1 ·
It's been a bad month for the Ram.... Two weeks ago I got a nice rock chip/crack on my front windshield. $200 later I got a nice new Mopar replacement glass.

Then yesterday I was driving, and a box whipped up from the van in front of me and like a boomerang came back into my lane and smashed into the side of my front bumper leaving two chips:

What's my best option? I've got a quote from a company I used a few years ago to pull a dent out of my last truck for the following two options:
A.) Touch up the area, but will still be visible: $75
B.) Sand, repaint and color match the whole section, area will not be visible: $225.

Now this is a mobile paintless dent removal/chip repair company, so any work done would be in my driveway. I asked about option B and concerns with dust, etc. and was told that it obviously won't be perfect as it isn't done in a booth, but would be much cheaper.

The area is slightly noticeable from a distance if you look for it, but I would like to do something about it. What would be your recommendation?

I'm thinking going with option A for $75 and touch up the spot as the bumper has minor chips from road sand/rocks and if I am going to repaint it, I might as well do it right at a body shop. However, if anyone has had any experience or would think it would be workwhile to go with option B, I would be glad to hear.

EDIT: Paint itself is damage, as you can feel the area with your fingernail.

See less See more
#9 ·
#10 ·
What I like to do is buy the correct touch up paint from the dealer or use Duplicolor. I also use Dupicolor clear coat. I apply the color coat first and let it sit for about a half hour. Than I buld up the clear coat until it sits slightly higher than the cars finish. Letting it sit for an hour or so between coats depending how big the chip is. Than the following day I wet sand it down with 2000 grit until flush with the cars finish. I like to use a magnifying glass as an extra precaution. Than I buff out with 3M compound. I have a classic Mustang that I drive to shows and shit happens so I learned how to deal with my own touch ups plus I don't trust people touching my stuff especially when I fell I can do a better job. If done correcty it would be very difficult to see the repair. Naturally some colors touch up easier than others. Make sure you prep the surface free of wax and dirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.