DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Chrome clad garbage!

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  ArcticWhite 
#1 ·
Hey just bitching again! But seriously anyone else notice how these chrome clad wheels seem to oxidize over night. I'm really thinking about just pulling the wheels & wasting a weekend prepping & plasti-dipping them. Any input especially from those who have done so already? Thanks in advance for input....
:LOL:

#2 ·
Probably doesn't help being where your from salt wise. Knock on wood, we haven't had that bad of weather to dump salt all over the roads. I cleaned mine with window cleaner, worked like charm. Before this past Sunday storm I sprayed WD40 on them. 99% of crud came off at car wash, the rest wiped off.

#3 ·
In my area, salt on the State highways is not allowed, it may be the same for County roads
It kills the trees & we don't have many trees in the first place
we can't even use road flares that have a flame & if for some reason they are used, it must be completely cleaned up

If this State continues cleaning up, brake dust won't be allowed soon :)

#4 ·
I took my truck to a local car wash almost weekly over this past winter. After every bout of bad weather where the truck would get dirty I took it for a cleaning. On Tuesday we had some nice weather and I detailed my truck at home. After washing and waxing the truck I used Mothers Chrome Polish on the rims with a foam applicator and they came up perfect. Every spot that didn't come off while washing did come off while polishing. They look surprisingly good. I think the secret is to keep the truck and rims clean over the course of the winter, and not let that stuff sit on the rims for any period of time.

Reactions: Grubrunner
#5 ·
?... I think the secret is to keep the truck and rims clean over the course of the winter, and not let that stuff sit on the rims for any period of time.
You nailed it there.

In the year I had mine, that was my secret.

Good call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.