DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Brake rotor question

18K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  vman1 
#1 ·
Any of you guys have an idea how could I find out specification on front and rear brake rotors ? Meaning original thickness from factory.
The minimum is stamped on the rotors.

The dealer machined them and installed new pads (due to their screw up)
and I want to find out what thickness did they have to start with.
The truck only had 7800 miles when this was done so there would be minimal wear just from braking.
I measured them with caliper and the rear rotors are only 1mm from the minimum thickness. (can't see the stamp on the front so I have to take he wheel of) So obviously next time I will need new brakes they will sell me new rotors, because they won't be able to machine them.
Perhaps they machined them close to minimum intentionally (which wouldn't surprise me too much) or they aren't thick enough to begin with.

But where could I find out what the thickness of new rotor from factory is without having to buy one and measuring it ??:sad:
Thanks for any input and info

#2 · (Edited)
this is all i could find online

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Reg Cab 4x4
# Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.2 x 1.1
# Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.8 x 0.9

i suggest the you call the Parts Dept. at the dealer
it may be on their computer or you could ask them if they could find out for you
they don't need to know why you are asking

#5 ·
this is all i could find online

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 ST Reg Cab 4x4
# Front Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.2 x 1.1
# Rear Brake Rotor Diam x Thickness (in) : 13.8 x 0.9
Thanks, I found the same thing but wasn't sure if that's accurate.
The minimum thickness of the rear stamped on the rotor is 20.4mm=0.8"
My measurement after the break job is 21.7mm = 0.85" on the rears.
And 27.8mm = 1.08" on the front but I don't know the minimum yet.
Perhaps they aren't too thick to begin with so they only can take one machining and then they need to be replaced. So I get double screwed from this dealer. Of course the next time they won't be able to machine them and sell me new rotors.

#8 ·
WTF is exactly what I told them too :)
Their response was that they only take of very little material. Blah blah blah.
The reason they did the brakes was that I brought my truck in for oil change (cause I want them bastards to have record of oil changes for warranty in case) and they also offered to rotate tires. In the process they scratched two of my rims. And the second day my brakes started squealing. They did not make a sound until then from day I bought it new in June. It was coming from the rears as far as I could tell.
Came home and double checked lug nuts (my habit cause I don't trust them and in the past I drove off from service with one wheel completely loose)
Two were so super tight that I couldn't move them with torque wrench set to 150 (factory specs is 120 according to mechanic at Dodge) and three were loose. So I believe the uneven torque caused the rotor to warp a little and that caused vibration and then noise, etc, etc.
I told the service manager and he said they will take care of it and order new rims (that one month later I still don't have) and that they will also fix brakes. So this is how this all BS started.
Yes I want them to now replace the rotors all around or at least pay for them and I will have someone more professional install it.
Then the monkey that worked on the brakes put so much grease on the caliper sliders that after 100 miles I have grease splashed all over the rims.
WTF ?

#6 ·
I think that i would be asking why the rotors were machined at that mileage
If they were warped, i would be asking how it happened
I would be raising a little bit of dust

#14 ·
WOW, just from reading this my blood pressure went up.....Your rotors should of be replaced and you should of been looked after for the damage that was caused to your rims. I don't know if there are any other dealers around you, but I would make sure that I never step a foot in that dealership again.....Hopefully they get you your rims shortly.....Keep us updated on how things go.....

#16 ·
Since picture is worth thousand word, take a look how did professionals machined the rotor. Note the groove near the outside of the rotor.
This is normally caused by vibration on the brake lathe. I used to work on cars at a shop for 8 years and was ASE certified for brakes, I don't tell dealer that because they think you are trying to be too smart with them. But thats how I know why I have the groove.
So now one rotor is junk because the smooth it out they would have to machine it again and that would bring it down bellow minimum thickness.
And it tells you how much the service care about properly doing brake job.
Or any job in fact.
Second pic shows the splashes of grease on the rims. All 4 have it.
Brakes from factory don't have that. IF the brakes are done properly, they don't need grease all over the sliders (very light coat of high temp lubricant if any)

Attachments

#18 ·
I don't think I'd ever go back to that dealership for anything. Could happen anywhere though, not brand specific.

Reactions: Asur
#22 ·
The only downside about not going back is that I bought 12 oil changes contract when I bought the truck new from them. Only used 2 so far.
But I guess I would rather waste 190 bucks then have all these problems again. Or let them do oil only, they should be able handle that with lot of luck.
I just found out they use Pennzoil. If I knew I probably wouldn't have bought the service contract. I always thought it's one of the worst oils out there and many engine guys I know agreed with it.
But maybe that no longer applies and Pennzoil is same or close like other oils ?
Parts guy said that Mopar signed contract with Pennzoil and that is what they use now. This dealer used to use Valvoline in the past.

#28 ·
Hahaha. Not sure if they can, maybe that explains why the service bays have no door at all at this place.

The good news is after email to service manager this morning, I got reply that they will replace all brake rotors, install new rims, put my tires back the way they were (did not say they will, but I will make sure if possible) and balance the wheels on their high end machine (words of one service advisors).
From my experience working at the shop in the past, some mechanics (not sure if they deserved that title) would be balancing wheels with old weights on the rims. Or they would spin once, attach the weights and never checked again. The way a learned, the only proper way to balance wheel is to remove all weights, spin it, attach weights and spin it again. 99% of time it needed additional weights or adjustments after the second spin. Sometimes it would take 3 spins and adjustments to end up with "00" on each side on the balancing machine.

#27 · (Edited)
I use Carl Burger down here, good shop except when it comes to tires
On the 3rd rotation, they only do front to rear rotations, they must have knocked off a weight. I had a 60 - 75 mph shake, took it back twice & they could fix it. I took it to Discount Tire & had them put the fronts on the rears & drove across country 7600 miles & no shake. When i returned home, went in for oil change & tire rotation, the shake came back & they couldn't fix it. I was fed up & TOLD them to remove every weight & rebalance them. Because i told them to do it, i was charged full price for the weights & labor, but i had no more shaking. I go to Discount Tire now.

When i first bought my '09, the Factory & the dealerships had a contract for Mobile Oil to supply Oil & Lube, a year later they changed to Valvoline, a year later they signed a 2 year contract with Shell Oil, ( Pennzoil & Rotella ), I made the switch to Mobile One & WIX oil filter. I do Not like changing brands, i am old school & that was always a bad thing to do, some oils didn't mix well with others
I was told the other day that the factory is now using Mobile Oil again, i don't know if that is true, i will be supplying my own.
Also the dealership has now changed over to using a EXPRESS LANE for oil changes & they do not look at mechanical things, on all my previous Invoices it had suggestions of things that were due or at least needed further inspection, now the invoices don't suggest anything

#29 ·
New update
They agreed to replace all brake rotors after I pointed out chatter marks on couple of them after they machined them. Yes thats right, they can't even machine the rotors properly. They put so much damn grease on the caliper sliders that when it got hot it splattered all over my rims.
So after the bozos replaced the rotors (they did not do the pads, but I think it's OK as the new pads only had around 700 miles on them) I cleaned all the stupid grease.

They also replaced the two rims. So I thought it is done and over with.
BUT.. one of the rims is defective. Dips, marks in paint (coating) under clear coat. After two wasted trips, they are now ordering new rim again.
Oh did I mention that after they did the rims and balance them I found one balancing weight coming of ? Yes morons, it would help if you clean the damn rim first from greasy fingers before you apply self adhesive weight.
I can only imagine the weight flying of at 70 MPH for example.
This time they managed to properly torque three wheels out of four.
I am amazed. The fourth wheel however was so severely over tightened that it took me jumping on the breaker bar to get it loose so I can re-torque it to specs. On each lug nut I heard little snap as I was loosening them.
Stretched studs maybe ? Most likely I think.
I had requested contact info for service director and GM so I can have a nice chat with them. Other then that I am so sick of it that I just want this to be over with.
Now I am waiting for the new rim and hoping they will inspect it before they call me to come and bring my truck in. And when done I will be re-torquing my lug nuts again.

Someone mentioned that I can take it for the prepaid oil change somewhere else, yes it is sort of truth, but only to dealer owned by same owner. They have two Dodge dealers that are local.
But after this experience I will take a chance at different location at least.

So for you that are in S. California Orange County, beware of Tuttle Click Dodge in Tustin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.