DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Looking for advice on what/how to customize my 2012 Ram ST Crewcab

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Lazarus15066 
#1 ·
Firstly, it is NOT a Hemi. It is the 4.7 Flex fuel

I was able to basically get it for a steal as it was a lease that someone changed their mind on and had only 1100 miles when I got it. I couldnt pass the deal.

Anywho, as its a ST and a 4.7 Flexfuel, its missing alot of things I would like, that I am unsure if is even possible. Some or minor or "petty" but I would like them none the less. Here are the basic things I am looking to do, but need advise on.

1. No Overhead Console. It simply has a blank/flat spot in the headliner where it would be if it was installed, does anyone know if addingone is possible? If it is possible, will it just be lights or is it possible to put in the trip computer, MPG/Miles till empty, and compass and such. Is there more than just the stock option? I have looked all over, and honestly this one question is what got me to join and create a thread of my own.

2. Headlights - They strait up suck. I am constantly out in the boonies and rely on good headlights for a heads up on the deer that like to play tag with car grills. Any suggestions on what to look at.

3. Cosmetics
- Paint Scheme - I am really thinking of going strait no gloss mat black or even bed-liner. Any thoughts on this? I think it would look cool to basically have a "bat-mobile" look.
- Grill Guard or Bull Bar or Complete Ranch Hand bumper replacement.
- Tinting headlight and taillight glass darker(is this even legal?)
- Wheels/Rims for above said scheme, how big is to big for a non 4x4, also, what is most cost effective vrs looks

4. Performance - Going to be completely honest and say, I know jack and #$@% about cars, but if shown, I can do anything.
- Exhaust - What can I do that will give it a little more performance and sound better that wont void my warranty
- Intake - Same ? as above
- Any other suggestions to bleed some extra MPG and power out.

I realize this is ALOT of questions in one post, Thnx so much in advance.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Read the Blue to answer your questions:

Lazarus15066: Firstly, it is NOT a Hemi. It is the 4.7 Flex fuel

So, its still a great truck, you will be surprised as to how great that V8 is.

I was able to basically get it for a steal as it was a lease that someone changed their mind on and had only 1100 miles when I got it. I couldnt pass the deal.

So that truck was destined to be yours, enjoy it.

Anywho, as its a ST and a 4.7 Flexfuel, its missing alot of things I would like, that I am unsure if is even possible. Some or minor or "petty" but I would like them none the less. Here are the basic things I am looking to do, but need advise on.

One, you say that you know jack about cars, well learn to use Google search and put Ramforumz after what your searching and links here at the site will pop up and you will get all the info you need for 99% of everything you mention, or learn the search command up top and search for the same stuff, just you don't need to put ramforumz after you search criteria.

1. No Overhead Console. It simply has a blank/flat spot in the headliner where it would be if it was installed, does anyone know if addingone is possible? If it is possible, will it just be lights or is it possible to put in the trip computer, MPG/Miles till empty, and compass and such. Is there more than just the stock option? I have looked all over, and honestly this one question is what got me to join and create a thread of my own.

Yes, I am installing mine strangely enough today lmao, but there are lots of threads here on doing it, here is one

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120290

2. Headlights - They strait up suck. I am constantly out in the boonies and rely on good headlights for a heads up on the deer that like to play tag with car grills. Any suggestions on what to look at.

Yes , 3 things you can do, install 55watt HID's and lower the angel of your light to not blind on-coming traffic, or retrofit your present headlamps with projectors and HID's or Get new Headlamp units with projectors that will take HID's, again all this info is available here and all over on doing these mod's

Look here: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

3. Cosmetics
- Paint Scheme - I am really thinking of going strait no gloss mat black or even bed-liner. Any thoughts on this? I think it would look cool to basically have a "bat-mobile" look.

this is a personnel thing, you do what you feel makes you happy, Get your bed line-x'ed, its really worth it. JMO

Up to you, I have a bull bar, stainless.

depends on your state or province, look up on google the info will be there.

- Wheels/Rims for above said scheme, how big is to big for a non 4x4, also, what is most cost effective vrs looks

Again this is up to you and what your looking to have your truck look like, start a thread on this as an independent mod and post pics of wheels you like and think would go well with your overall theme, other members will chime in on there thoughts, but at the end of the day, its all up to you and you alone matter on what you like.

4. Performance - Going to be completely honest and say, I know jack and #$@% about cars, but if shown, I can do anything.

- Exhaust - What can I do that will give it a little more performance and sound better that wont void my warranty

easy install is take out the bolted in stock exhaust and install a mufflex replacement, go to mufflex to check out what you might like. you can also just get a magnaflow and get it welded in, I went mufflex cause it was easy, fun, and just bolted in, took about 30min to install and the muffler they use is a magnaflow, my 4.7 sound amazing.

Intake is different, It will not do anything for you hp wize unless you get a tuner, only tuners that work on the 4.7 is the Bully Dog, its great, I installed one and love it, helps with shift points also, makes the truck a whole new monster. But with a tuner the CAI will help, there are many options out there, I created my own with parts from a K&N and S&B kits, the reason is that the 4.7 has a resonator box on the top of the engine, if you put a straight CAI on there and remove the R-box, it makes a ton of engine noise, not the same as the hemi, It was so loud on mine that if I floored it, my wifes ears would block and it was the only thing we could hear in the cab. The stock box on the Ram 1500 is so efficient that unless you just want to mod, you might be better off keeping it as is.

Get a Bully Dog Tuner, with 91+ octane, they say you can pump up 30+ hp, I say not!!!!, but maybe 20.

like I said, learn to use Google search with Ramforumz after your criteria and you will bring up a ton of info from here on the site that will help you. Also check out the complete builds section, you will see trucks of other members and what they done to there's,. best of luck and congrats on your new truck

#4 ·
Read the Blue to answer your questions:

Lazarus15066: Firstly, it is NOT a Hemi. It is the 4.7 Flex fuel

So, its still a great truck, you will be surprised as to how great that V8 is.

So that truck was destined to be yours, enjoy it.

One, you say that you know jack about cars, well learn to use Google search and put Ramforumz after what your searching and links here at the site will pop up and you will get all the info you need for 99% of everything you mention, or learn the search command up top and search for the same stuff, just you don't need to put ramforumz after you search criteria.

Yes, I am installing mine strangely enough today lmao, but there are lots of threads here on doing it, here is one

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=120290

Yes , 3 things you can do, install 55watt HID's and lower the angel of your light to not blind on-coming traffic, or retrofit your present headlamps with projectors and HID's or Get new Headlamp units with projectors that will take HID's, again all this info is available here and all over on doing these mod's

Look here: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

3. Cosmetics

this is a personnel thing, you do what you feel makes you happy, Get your bed line-x'ed, its really worth it. JMO

Up to you, I have a bull bar, stainless.

depends on your state or province, look up on google the info will be there.

Again this is up to you and what your looking to have your truck look like, start a thread on this as an independent mod and post pics of wheels you like and think would go well with your overall theme, other members will chime in on there thoughts, but at the end of the day, its all up to you and you alone matter on what you like.

easy install is take out the bolted in stock exhaust and install a mufflex replacement, go to mufflex to check out what you might like. you can also just get a magnaflow and get it welded in, I went mufflex cause it was easy, fun, and just bolted in, took about 30min to install and the muffler they use is a magnaflow, my 4.7 sound amazing.

Intake is different, It will not do anything for you hp wize unless you get a tuner, only tuners that work on the 4.7 is the Bully Dog, its great, I installed one and love it, helps with shift points also, makes the truck a whole new monster. But with a tuner the CAI will help, there are many options out there, I created my own with parts from a K&N and S&B kits, the reason is that the 4.7 has a resonator box on the top of the engine, if you put a straight CAI on there and remove the R-box, it makes a ton of engine noise, not the same as the hemi, It was so loud on mine that if I floored it, my wifes ears would block and it was the only thing we could hear in the cab. The stock box on the Ram 1500 is so efficient that unless you just want to mod, you might be better off keeping it as is.

Get a Bully Dog Tuner, with 91+ octane, they say you can pump up 30+ hp, I say not!!!!, but maybe 20.

like I said, learn to use Google search with Ramforumz after your criteria and you will bring up a ton of info from here on the site that will help you. Also check out the complete builds section, you will see trucks of other members and what they done to there's,. best of luck and congrats on your new truck
Thnx for the great response. I wouldnt say I know Jack about cars, just that compared to most of yall I know very little.

I realize that this is a LONG term project, but I am looking forward to learning as much as possible whilst doing it.

Thnx again

#3 ·
I know what you mean about the headlights suck issue. I bought my ST 1500 on New Years eve. Have since taken the stock headlights out and went with some spider led halo projectors. This way i can goto hids with no problems. Im not sure if the quad headlamps would be any better. There is a thread on here about changing over to an overhead console that is pretty detailed as what has to be done. Right now im doing a search for some chrome clads. Found some about 40 miles away, but i cant get an reply for them. Let the mods begin.

#6 ·
looked and only saw a tuner for the Hemi...

http://www.bullydog.com/search_vehicle.php?make=4&model=132&year=2012&engine=57&vehicle=Go

will this work with the flexfuel engine?
the Bully Dog hemi + is what you want, get in touch with FastNugly or Jhinkle from Discount auto performance, there a sponsor here, (see up top) they can get you all that you need, and you get special rebates because your a member here. When I say, all, I mean, anything at really great pricing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.