DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Four Wheel Drive - - LOW

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Asur 
#1 ·
I have never needed to use the FWD, so today I thought I would check it out.
Had tranny in neutral before turning the switch.
FWD LOW appeared on the dash, as well as Stability Control Off.
Drove about block. Stopped, and when I stared to move it felt like the tranny was looking for the correct gear.
Stopped again, and the same thing.
Once moving all seemd okay, and truck shifted up as normal.
I only drove less than a mile.
Is this normal ?

Thanks,

#3 ·
YOU ARE RIGHT !, yes, I was on pavement. And no it does not do this when in FWD HI.

Just came up with another question: Does FWD, LOW, prevent the tranny from shifting up to 6th gear.

And Yeh, I know - - you are wondering why I bought FWD. Well one reason is that my wife will use it to pull a horse trailer, and got my old truck stuck in mud twice (that I know of), also in most cases it will keep me from having to put chains on when going over the mountains in the winter.
Cheers, and thanks,
Balloo

#4 ·
First I would not run your truck on dry pavement in 4 wheel drive either HI or Low. Lo per the user manual states: 4L
Four-Wheel Drive Low Range - This range locks the front
and rear driveshafts together forcing the front and rear
wheels to rotate at the same speed. Additional traction
and maximum pulling power for loose, slippery road
surfaces only. Do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h).

Now if you have 4 Auto it is not going to hurt to run on pavement but if it is clear I don't see the need.

#6 ·
You are very lucky you diidn't snap one of your front axles when you went around the block :SHOCKED: The only time you should ever use your 4WD whether in Low or High range is on a loose surface like gravel or slippery conditions. And your using the wrong acronym for your truck "FWD" describes a "front wheel drive".

#8 ·
Yeah, you should never even attempt to get to 6th in 4lo. The transmission doesn't lock anything out, but you'd start breaking stuff if you tried running it that high.

As for running in 4hi on pavement, it can be done, but not recommended for long periods. the comment about breaking axles is wrong, in hi or lo. The drag racing crowd makes bigger power and runs down the entire track in 4wd with no issues in the transfer case.

#9 ·
Yeah, you should never even attempt to get to 6th in 4lo. The transmission doesn't lock anything out, but you'd start breaking stuff if you tried running it that high.

As for running in 4hi on pavement, it can be done, but not recommended for long periods. the comment about breaking axles is wrong, in hi or lo. The drag racing crowd makes bigger power and runs down the entire track in 4wd with no issues in the transfer case.

But they are going straight, not turning around the block.

And the ones I know who do that, have aftermarket axleshafts....not stock.

#11 ·
Will switching to 4-wheel low with the struck stopped but in in Park damage anything? Before I read about the 4-wheel drive, I had to pull a hill that was slipping in 2WD drive. So I switched to 4WD low and pulled the hill. Think everything is OK, just curious. Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.