DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Exhaust Leak at Manifold

32K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  Eddie315 
#1 ·
Started hearing a tick from under the hood when cold starting. The tick was pretty loud but went away once the motor warmed up. Took it to the dealer and they said it was one of the bolts on the passenger side manifold that had broken. They had to order the new gasket and bolt. Should be in by Monday.
The service Manager says he's seen this in a few Rams lately. Just figured I'd pass on what I found out.

Also, my drivers side floor mat had a hole in it by the time I had my truck 5 months. THEY WONT COVER IT UNDER WARRANTY. They said its from wear and tear. Funny, I had my 05 Ram for 4 years with the same style mats and the same feet I have now and they never tore or wore out. Go Figure!

G
#2 ·
At least they are taking care of the manifold bolt.

They have de-contented and dropped the quality on a few accessory items over the past few years because of cost...and they went broke anyway...

If it was the carpet, they would replace it. You might have to argue with them a bit on that but in the end, they'd do it.

#5 ·
The manifold bolt issue is a RRT for some trucks. So they should know about it.

#6 ·
SUBJECT: RAPID RESPONSE TRANSMITTAL / SERVICE ACTION #10-009

Engine Ticking Sound In Cold Temperatures

INVOLVED VEHICLES:
2009 (DC) Ram Truck (3500 Chassis Cab) (Includes International Markets)

2009 (DH) Ram Truck (1500/2500 Pick Up) (Includes International Markets)
2009 (DS) Ram Truck (1500) (Includes International Markets)
2009 (DX) Ram Truck (Mexico) (Includes International Markets)

NOTE: This Service Action affects both sold and unsold vehicles.

DISCUSSION:
A number of models built before August 14, 2009 (MDH 0814XX) equipped with a 5.7L
engine (Sales code EZC or EZD or EZH) may have been built with an engine that may
emit a ticking sound heard at start-up in cold ambient temperatures. This sound could
be less noticeable as the engine warms to normal operating temperature. This condition may be caused by broken or loose manifold bolts for cylinders # 7 and # 8.
Dealers are required to replace both sets of exhaust manifold bolts for cylinders # 7 and # 8 with new stainless steel higher strength bolts.

#7 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread, but i just started hearing a tick when I start up the engine in the mornings or after it's cooled down. It's coming from the passenger side and I found this looking for a possible explanation and what to do. Just called the dodge dealer and said I'm out of my warranty period and it is not covered. My question is if it was a problem they were aware of, why would they not cover it?? :smiledown:

#9 ·
Manifold Leak

I have the same problem with my truck, and now that I think about it, I had the same problem with my '09 Hemi. I just didn't realize it then. Anyway, I called today for service and Summit Dodge in Syracuse, NY stated the manifold, gasket and bolts are all covered under the powertrain warranty. The kicker...extracting the bolts out of the block is not covered and I will have to pay for the labor for extracting them and re-tapping the block. Not happy that I have to pay for any of it but at least the manifold gaskets and bolts are covered. I have not heard of a recall but it sounds like there are a lot of problems with this. Maybe it is something Ram needs to consider paying for since it seems to be a problem across the board. They will be hearing from me about this.

#10 ·
I have the same problem with my truck, and now that I think about it, I had the same problem with my '09 Hemi. I just didn't realize it then. Anyway, I called today for service and Summit Dodge in Syracuse, NY stated the manifold, gasket and bolts are all covered under the powertrain warranty. The kicker...extracting the bolts out of the block is not covered and I will have to pay for the labor for extracting them and re-tapping the block. Not happy that I have to pay for any of it but at least the manifold gaskets and bolts are covered. I have not heard of a recall but it sounds like there are a lot of problems with this. Maybe it is something Ram needs to consider paying for since it seems to be a problem across the board. They will be hearing from me about this.

Bullcrap (not you, your dealer). I just had (two days ago) my passenger-side manifold replaced as the bolts broke and it was cracked. My truck has 120K on it, but it's covered under my Max Care Warranty with a small deductible. They had to extract FOUR broken bolts out of the block and it was covered. Your dealer is giving you a runaround - find another dealer.

The manifold failed, plain and simple. Not your fault or responsibility because the bolts are rusted and broken.

#12 ·
I can call three different dealers and get three different stories on how repairs are treated. It's sad that customers have to spend so much time and energy on sorting through the rhetoric with dealers. Seems to have gotten worse in the last few years as revenues get tighter and the dealerships push services that aren't required and are more aggressive with nickel and diming you to death.

My dealer made a big deal about how they "credited me the diagnostic charge" when the truck went in for warranty repairs, like it was some sort of promotion. I said why would I have to pay a diagnostic charge since the repair was covered under warranty (I would understand, somewhat, if they couldn't duplicate the condition).

Gets tiring. I dread any time I have to deal with them on warranty work.

#15 ·
exhaust leak at manifold

Sorry to say I also had a 3rd party extended warranty and they do not cover broken bolts. Dealer in m illeville nj refused to repair broken bolts and instead convinced me that they could not remove bolts so they replaced both heads for over $3500.00. I got hosed badly.

#20 ·
I've had the tick in my truck for a while also. It has been getting worse. So I just purchased some BBK Exhaust headers. I thought I might as well upgrade since the old ones may have warped and are a POC anyway. I wont get them till after Xmas, but Ill post some updates when I install them.

#21 ·
extremely common issue, normally the 2 back studs break. I personally have never seen a manifold crack on these, but most techs call manifold,gasketm studs and heatshield, along with 2 stud extractions (MIGing them out of the block) because it pays more. My truck is out of warranty so i just replaced the gasket and the studs and its been fine.
Passenger side is a lot easier than driver side,normally can do pass, in about an hour.

#22 ·
My 2011 just started this ( 58000 mi) Still under the power train warranty. After looking at videos of how to do this, I figured I would take advantage of the warranty. Took it to my Dealership today. They called me saying they have to replace the entire manifold along with new studs, gasket, etc. :4-dontknow:

#23 ·
Reviving an old post!! Exhaust manifold bolts broke! Stock bolts suck!!! Replace them all with some high quality one. They're not too expensive. I did replace the heads and put BBK shorty headers. They do fit. Make sure you torque them to spec in the correct sequence order. As for the ticking sound that is NOT an exhaust leak; I kept reading all the forums and figured it's a Hemi tick. It's not normal. I had been getting a code pop up (Cylinder 6 Misfire), and after performing a tune up and replacing ignition coils it turns out that lifters were stuck, valves were not setting all the way, and springs needed replaced. I had all this work done to my truck and behold, the engine was quiet!! No more ticking sound! Do not let any dealer or technician tell you it's normal. The internal parts might be damaged or messing up. Caused all those problems for me. And still because of this, the cam was damaged as well. The lobes on the came were not to spec anymore. Dealership just kept guessing the problem and taking my money. Went to an former Dodge technician that worked elsewhere and he figured all this out. He said this is a normal this for Hemis. My pockets and wallet are burnt! I hope this helps some of you out there. I Traded in the truck. It had 160k miles on it. RIP truck! ?

#30 ·
I hope you got a good deal as those new Fords are pretty expensive.
Agreed! That's actually what brought me here in 2015. Always owned F150's previously. Always buy my trucks new, but they just would not allow me to haggle in 2015. Timing was bad, the new aluminum trucks were out, supply was low, demand was high. But I'm very happy with my decision to go with a Ram. On my second one now, and that's only due to being offered a great deal on the 2017, so upgraded from a 15' Express to the 17' Big Horn.

But I do feel the OP's pain on those dagum' manifold bolts! Have an 09' Chrysler Aspen with the Hemi and had two of them that needed to be drilled out. NOT cheap! But it seems like a common issue across any makes that have aluminum manifolds on an iron block. :4-dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.