DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Nervous about making the muffler switch

7K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  thunder290 
#1 ·
I have a Flowmaster 40 Series and love the sound, but from what i understand if i switch to MagnaFlow ill see a difference in power. What kind of difference should i expect? I hear about cherry bomb extreme, hows the flow compared to magnaflow? And hows WOT? Is MagnaFlow about the best for our trucks?

#3 ·
I really don't believe you will notice a horse power or torque difference be those 2 mufflers, unless you are running at the drag strip with timing lights
just a sound difference, if you like loud exhaust get a shorter muffler, like a 14" Magnaflow

#4 ·
Well I have the flowmaster 40 and although the power feels about the same as stock (can't really tell the difference with my dyno butt :LOL:), I did notice a definite increase in MPG after having it installed. Increased MPG usually means better performance. Also the sound is amazing and that's not just me saying it as I get alot of compliments. Had it on for almost two months now and very happy with it. :smileup:

#5 ·
just installed a 14" magnaflow on my '11 hemi, and when the shop pulled off the stocker they compared them on a bench test for the flow rate..
to the surprise of myself and the tech the magnaflow flowed only 10-15 cfm more than the restrictive stocker..

Stock = 1190 cfm
14" Magnaflow = 1205 cfm

As for performance i dont think much.. MPG, havent noticed a huge difference avg 17.1 mpg (calc by hand)

i like the magnaflow but if u looking for performance just a muffler swap isnt gonna give u much imo

cheers!

G
#6 ·
The Magnaflow has been my choice on cars and trucks for a while after having Flowmasters rust out on me.

However, the sound of an exhaust is a pretty personal choice. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. In any event, I like the sound of the Magnaflow systems.

Performance gains depend on so many variables (temp, humidity, truck condition, other mods, etc...) that you can't just say it will get you a gazillion HP when you put it on and have that verified.

One thing to consider is that the internal combustion engine is just a big air pump...more air in + more air out = more power. So it's not just the muffler that makes a big change, it's intake, exhaust and programming that are the best bang for the buck mods when it comes to improving performance and, believe it or not, MPG.

So good luck with your mods!

#12 ·
How much drone noise do you get at highway speed (2-2.5K rpm)?

I just got back from taking my 05 hemi to the mountains. The existing single exit flowmaster 40 is so loud that we had to yell to hear each other at highway speed. Not bad around town.

I want to replace the exhaust to get rid of the drone. I like the idea of the American Thunder side exit duals, seems that they may less noisy on the highway.

The local shop will drop in a giant universal fit muffler for $80, but I hate the thought that I may drop fuel mileage (averaged 19 mpg highway and 15 mpg during mountain/off-road trip) and power.

Going to the beach in a few weeks, so looking for a good fix before then.

#13 ·
I find it hard to believe that the stock muffler flows nearly as much as an aftermarket, especially a straight through muffler with no restriction...but I'm not calling you a liar or anything either... I know there are other things to consider when testing flow, like at certain pressures, etc... or something like that. I'd guess that the stock muffler gets really choked up at higher demand (higher rpms)

#14 ·
I find it hard to believe that the stock muffler flows nearly as much as an aftermarket, especially a straight through muffler with no restriction...but I'm not calling you a liar or anything either... I know there are other things to consider when testing flow, like at certain pressures, etc... or something like that. I'd guess that the stock muffler gets really choked up at higher demand (higher rpms)
I agree that the stock muffler will not flow as well as a good aftermarket performance style muffler. The exhaust shop said the the universal stock replacement (with life time warranty) was designed to be quiet and likely will not perform any better than stock.

The current muffler is the flowmaster 40 and gets the fuel economy I mentioned in the earlier post. It has a terrible drone, so I want to replace it.

I don't believe that a stock universal replacement will keep my mileage up, so I think I want to get another highflow exhaust.

I'm now leaning towards the Gibson Super Truck SS side exhaust.

My guess is that the performance exhaust does improve fuel economy by about 10% and will pay for itself over a universal stock replacement. The exhaust shop expressed the same opinion.

#15 · (Edited)
I have the Cherry Bomb Extreme Mufflers sans the resonators. It did help with the MPG a little. Seat in the pants performance...Ehhh! I have some thick skin there to really tell if it helped what so ever. When the 5.7 is cold, it sounds a little funky when you feather the gas. When it warms up, you get a lot of "one finger salutes" from Privus and Hyundai owners :box2: you'll sail past because those puppies are LOUD! :Wow1:

#16 ·
I ordered the Dynomax 19388 - Super Turbo Kit; Dual Cat-Back System; 3 in. System; Incl. Intermediate Pipe; Super Turbo Muffler; Dual Tail Pipe; Clamps.

One of the nice things is that there is a trial period to decide if the exhaust is to my liking. If not, I can return it.

Also, the Dynomax muffler was listed as a top flowing muffler.

I'll give a review in a few weeks, after the beach trip.

#19 ·
at lower speeds the mufflers are very comparable...when you go wot you'll see that our hemi's like alot of flow which a chambered muffler doesn't give like a straight through mag does... I ran flow 50s for awhile and didn't think it hindered my performance because i had one of the faster qc's way back when.. I ended up swapping because I couldn't stand how loud it had become incab, like said earlier, we would be practically yelling at each other. When i swapped to a 22" mag i could not believe how quiet it got incab...and never really noticed how better it performed until I hit the track and immediately my times were dropping and mph rising... this leads me to believe that the hemi likes and needs to breathe....

#20 ·
Go with a Magnaflow and don't look back!

#21 ·
I have magnaflows on my 12 express and love the sound
Not sure if power increase but love how it sounds i also got rid
Of the resonators it does sound alot better without them but
Sound is up to you louder sound go with flows
And much mellow sound go with magnaflows

Good luck man whatever your choice both sound awsome on the rams

#22 ·
i also switched from flow super 44's to maggy 14 and loved the swap, idk what i was doing going with the flows in the first place.

guys like fred, satin, and az who have experience with different mufflers, modded motors, and track times, take their word for it.

#23 ·
Redram...your truck is wearin big boy pants now..you've taken the next big mod step by cammin and redoing your heads... now you have to take a closer look at the flow in and out of your truck... move to a straight thru muffler...you'll absolutely love it..and do cutouts so you can let all know you've got muscle under the hood...

#24 ·
I'm set on exhaust dual 2 1/2 no cats Borla race mufflers, straight through and super loud lol I get compliments all the time expecially after the cam swap. Most common is "Man that doesn't even sound like a truck" or " I heard it coming and did not expect to see that big ass truck come I thought a car" lol makes me giggle everytime

#25 ·
I had my stock heads polished and yeah next thing I want some nice heads to match the cam. Maybe a supercharger who knows lol

#26 ·
I just had a 22inch magnaflow muffler put on and the flowmaster taken out. I couldnt stand driving my truck with how loud it was especially near 2k rpm and especially on the highway. People in the back seats would say "what?" like 30 times a trip and it was tough to deal with the loud drone.

Let me say this. The muffler I got #12579 is ****ing awesome. Found a great exhaust expert locally who did the install and recommended that exact exhaust. He's 60 and still races motorcycles and cars. The exhaust sounds great when I punch it WOT and it's QUIET when I'm cruising the highway or around town. I also had the y-pipe replaced with the magnaflow and love it. Thanks to fred and others who have done their exhausts to show me what to get. I seriously couldn't be any happier with my truck right now :D

If you want the drone to be gone forever, go with what myself and others got...a big magnaflow muffler. Good luck.

#27 ·
glad you like it mang!!! glad to help out... i love my highway commute, I can still hear the rythmic v8 sound but it's more soothing than annoying... whenever i see any truck pass me with an after market exhaust, I'll always hear theirs over mine which I believe is gonna be much louder incab for them...

#29 ·
that is exactly why (besides the quietness :) ) I did that as well, I wanted them to think that since I'm not loud..it can't perform... and then when I do, first race is always with my cutouts closed and they hear the muscular tone...then, if we by chance hit the next light, i open the cutouts and go nascar on them :)

#31 ·
^those bench flow numbers sure seem like bs. They are really high to start with. If done correctly you'd expect a magnaflow to flow under 1000cfm. Depends how it was tested though.

Also, bench flow is not everything, pressure drop matters as well(back pressure). Say you have an oem muffler that does flow 1000cfm, and at a flow of 150cfm it has a pressure drop of 4 inches mercury, well if you double the flow to 300cfm it'll probably have a pressure drop of like 16 inches mercury(QUADRUPLE the backpressure).

Then take a magnaflow that also flows 1000cfm, and at a flow of 150cfm it'll have a pressure drop of say 3 or 4 inches mercury. Double the flow to 300cfm, it'll probably have a pressure drop of like 5 or 6 inches mercury.

The aftermarket maggy will outperform greatly(as is proven by people doing exhaust changes and dyno).

#32 ·
You're actually hearing your truck with a Magnaflow SS. I can hear a flowmaster coming from 200 yards because it sounds like dog s h i t. You're listening to fake muscle...air passing through cheap raw metal and foam inserts...ooooohhhhh so impressive. We all know we don't swap our mufflers for performance, come on guys get real

#35 ·
I thought the "muscle" or power comes from the motor... not the type of muffler :i_rolleyes:

FAKE!! FAKE POWA!!! AAAaaHHHH :LOL:

#38 ·
Mufflers are for girls! Just route some pipes directly from your manifolds and go right out the top of your hood!

But seriously, I am definitely getting the 22" mag after the reviews I've heard so far about sound issues.

I had a Flowmaster on my old Dakota and it was really annoying after a while.

Thank you to everyone who did all the testing for me to find out which muffler is best :LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.