DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone tried the Lifetime LED headlight bulbs?

21K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  Otterdriver 
#1 ·
Been doing some research on the Lifetime LED headlight bulbs...they seem to have great output, less power draw than HIDs and the instant on is what I really like. Have any of you tried these or know anyone who has them?? Looking at putting them in my 2013 with the projectors and fogs.

https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/products/category/headlights

#45 ·
Okay, cut and dried here, finally got the LED's. I haven't decided if these lights are worth the money yet.
Pros:
True plug and play install
No issues with (lamp out or tripping the TPMS)
Brighter than stock Halogens
6000 kelvin colour

Cons:
Factory dust caps interfere with the base of LED when installed
Had to make up my own dust caps
Slightly distorted light pattern ( tight hot spot starts to separate with distance increase)
Noticeable light scatter with factory reflectors
Would I recommend these? Not sure, on the fence with these, I have a couple pics, I'll post some (down the road) shots shortly.

LED's only:

LED's with Sylvania Ultras in the fogs!

#46 ·
It looks as though the light is much more intense on the LED's vs. the Sylvania Ultras. I'm curious to see the down the road shots since you're on the fence. Up close certainly looks like they are 100% better than stock halogens. Thanks for the write up and I look forward to seeing more photos!

#49 ·
Wonder how these would compare the quad light pods for the fogs like Firemedic10584 has?

I think I'm going to leave my HIDS in my projectors for now, but wouldn't mind trying these for the fogs.

Not sure I want to spend $100
So I might try these..

#50 ·
I don't think they would compare at all to the LED pods that Firemedic has. I'm not sure what the lumens are on the pods that he has, but they range from about 1,500 lumens to 3,000 lumens in each pod depending on the LED. The pods also have reflectors that have been designed to cast the light in either a flood or spot pattern. I just don't see stock fog housings having the ability to compete with the pods.

I'd like to see someone try the LED's in a projector housing and see how they compare with the HID lights.

#51 ·
Yeah, I figured as much. I think Firemedic's pods are 2000 lumens each which would not be a little more than the LEDs I posted.

I agree though they probably will throw more like since there designed too..

The LEDs pods or sorta a pricey upgrade. Just dont want to spend $60-100 on the drop in LEDS and not be happy. Then have to spend more money for the pods..lol

#52 ·
You'd have two pods in each fog housing, so your lumens would be 4,000 on each side. I believe that's comparable to the LED lumens, however you also have the added benefit of having the reflectors designed specifically for the pods. I too like the idea of the LED, but in order for it to really be successful, I think you'd have to add a set of projectors in the fogs in order to direct the light where you need it and not have the scatter effect. By the time that's all said and done, you'll have more money into that then a set of Firemedics LED pods.

Take a look at some of the You Tube videos of the LED pods.... most have very good throw for their size. I don't think you'd be sorry you made the decision!

I planned to drive up to Jeremy's one day and have him install some FX-R projectors and add some HID's at the same time.... I may see if he'd be interested in doing a side by side comparison having one projector have the HID inside and the other have an LED and see what we think. I don't plan on doing anything until around spring though, so don't get in a hurry to see that review! I may try it out though and be the guinea pig as I know there are a lot of people wondering the same thing! :smileup:

#53 · (Edited)
I'm curious to see how some of the new LED bulbs work out with an FX-R housing.... Those may be hard to beat if the housing can be modified to fit the base of the LED bulbs.....

There would be no point upgrading to an FX-R just to use it for an LED

If you need a better lens (optically clear) and don't want to use a stock purple tinted one,
just start with a stock TYC lamp (has clear lens just like the FX-R's) and save yourself the $640 retro-fit charge

an FX-R is a high dollar upgrade/retrofit and you wouldn't even be using the best part
...the ability to run a D2S HID upgraded bulb....like an Osram CBI

#54 ·
Good to know the TYC lenses are optically clear. I plan on doing the FX-R upgrade with HID's, that is why I mentioned the FX-R lense. It would be more cost effective for those looking to do the LED route to select the TYC lenses.

I may pick up an LED bulb just to compare the HID to the LED when I have them installed.... this way we can take a few photos and have the ability to show how the LED performs side by side with an HID in the projector housing..... unless someone beats me to the punch on that comparison!!

#57 ·
Sorry I had a few pics when I installed the lights but I backed up my new iPhone through ITunes and lost a few pics **##en s##t! What I did though since the factory dust caps secure onto the back of the housing on the inside of the opening, they were actually touching the bottom corner of the LED, so I actually found plastic canister lids that fit exactly over the openings and they actually snapped on. :LOL: Far from professional looking but they worked. :thk: This is from the other night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.