DODGE RAM FORUM banner

50" LED Light Bar

7K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeringate 
#1 ·
So I was thinking of getting a 50" curved LED light bar for the roof and was wondering if anyone who has them would share what brand they got and also what style and what brand of mount they used. Rough country sells the lights but I am not a fan of the mounts they use. This would be for the 2014 Ram 1500.

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
I just bought a 50" light bar for mine and bought the brackets from CJC Off Road. They are really clean mounts and priced great. Might see what they offer. Mine should be here in a couple days!

#4 ·
First don't waste your money on rigid you can get curved lightbar off amazon or ebay for under $300 vs $2,150 for a Rigid. Rigid might be a little bit but not 2 grand brighter.

Second be prepared for a lot wind noise when you get up to around 50+mph you can drowned it out with the radio but its annoying if you want to talk to someone else in the truck. Its worth it if you do a lot of night driving off road

Third there is a good amount of glare on the hood so you might want to angle it up just a little it bothers some people more than others. Personally I'm ok with it

I have a 52" straight bar in Nfab mounts and its amazing I also have a 34" on my bumper thats drowns out my high beams and the 52" drowns it out I thought about getting a curved one but ended up going for a straight one and couldn't be happier with it it looks great and puts off a TON of light

#5 ·
Anything than Baja Design is a waste of money, go to stealth curved single row, it's better than Rigid and with single row which will get less wind noise. You can have spot, driving and wide driving and easy to change the lenses if you are not happy. If you buy Baja design wiring harness you will have the control for high, low and flusher beams. Have got 2X20" Baja design stealth LEDs and I can beat 40" rigid.

#7 ·
Any one have experience with those lower priced units off amazon? or just the lower priced ones in general? Because yeah, the price the top dogs are charging is ridiculous!

And also, how are you guys running the wires? Down the windshield? Or are you drilling your roofs?

#10 ·
ill be getting a few light bars(ebay specials) soon, ill be having them run threw the roof. But ill have a shop drill,put the wires in and seal the hole, i dont trust myself lmao

Its a case of "you get what you pay for" i think. I have friends who bought the overseas lightbars, and they hate them. Ya, they saved some cash, but if you dont like what you bought, then why bother? They complain of light discoloring and water intrusion. My suggestion is to buy something with a proven track record, and positives reviews. Rigid, Baja Design, whoever. Buy something you'll be happy with. Lightbars are a treat, so if money is an issue, id hold off until you can afford one of the better brands.
idk im sure to a point its you get what you pay for, but when your spending 2 grand on 2 50" bars its a little insane. I think if you get a bar that is put together well you shouldnt have any problems. In reality they all come from overseas just branded differently.

#8 ·
Its a case of "you get what you pay for" i think. I have friends who bought the overseas lightbars, and they hate them. Ya, they saved some cash, but if you dont like what you bought, then why bother? They complain of light discoloring and water intrusion. My suggestion is to buy something with a proven track record, and positives reviews. Rigid, Baja Design, whoever. Buy something you'll be happy with. Lightbars are a treat, so if money is an issue, id hold off until you can afford one of the better brands.

#12 · (Edited)
Ebay specials arent going to carry a lifetime warranty. Something goes wrong with my bar, i bring it to the store i bought it from and get a new one. Is there a premium markup on a product that has such a good warranty? Absolutely. Id pay the price for peace of mind anyday. All the big name american makers have lifetime warranties on their products. If only my friends with their ebay specials had warranties, they wouldnt be complaining so much about water damage. I know a dozen people who run rigid on their trucks, quads, side by sides, and snowmobiles. Not one person has said "meh, i think theyre overpriced garbage". I only know one guy who actually had to return a bar due to manufactuer defect, and it was replaced from the point of purchase.

OP, your best bet is to talk to your local custom shop, see what other people are buying, ask about warranties, fitment issues, etc. The best advice youre gonna get is in person from someone who owns the product.

That being said, the link to superbrightleds.com looks interesting.

Edit- the quote "meh overpriced garbage" wasnt quoting anyone here, just a hypothetical comment from the example i gave.

#14 ·
yeah i mean if a warranty for lights is something someone wants they yes they should definitely go with a bigger name brand. Personal id rather spend a few hundred for a few light bars.

See how they work, if they work nice then good but if not then i would start thinking of getting a more expensive bar. Id rather at least try them rather then just getting 1 bar at the same price as 4-5 bars

#15 · (Edited)
When i get home, im gonna look for reviews on those super bright led bars. They look good, and arent priced so low id be scared to take a chance on them. Maybe try a 10" on the gf's car first....LOL

Disregard my comment.....after reading this.....https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.superbrightleds.com
Not a chance id give them my money.

#17 ·
I've ordered from them before, got exactly what I asked for and never had problems with them (turn signals, reverse lights, tag lights, etc) Didn't see a review on the link you posted about their lightbars though, the reviews were all in reference to led bulbs, most likely installed on old shitty corollas by 17yr old kids haha. Also the overall rating is 8.7 out of 10, lol you probably only read the first couple reviews!!!

Who knows! But they will definitely send you what you order, not sure about the customer service side though, I never had to deal with them.

#18 ·
I got a little nervous when all the bad reviews were extremely specific about the item/experience, and all but a couple positive ones were generic, without giving detail. Also, the positive ones were from customers who say they have ordered for years, yet this is their first review....call it internet paranoia i guess. I wanna order one just so i can give a review on it now...lol

#19 ·
Yeah don't get me wrong, if it were my first time ordering from them, I'd be a little skeptical as well! But I've ordered from the in the past.

Definitely order it cause I'm curious!!!! LOL

#21 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I have actually heard of the water intrusion issues with the cheaper light and have seen people just seal them up themselves with RTV and never had an issue. The light discoloration issue I haven't heard of yet but that actually makes me want to go with one made in the U.S. with some kind of warranty. Ill probably go with one in the $700 to $1,000 range to ensure that I get a good product. Is there any major advantage or disadvantage to the curved as opposed to the strait light or is it just the obvious wider light pattern?

#22 ·
Curved looks better.

#23 ·
don't listen to the hater there is no reason to spent 700-1000 on a light bar the cheaper ones are really good now as for curved or straight I would say its a preference I also don't know if you need a different mount for them so you might want to look into that and the other thing with a curved one is it might have less wind noise but thats just a guess and I have had my 34" light bar for over a year with no discoloration and I have friends that have had them a lot longer with no issues either

#24 ·
Theres no hate here, just opinions based on personal experiences. I ordered one of the superbrightled bars for my gf's car, and ill be sure to be as honest about it as i am with anything else. If its a good product, win win.

#25 ·
Not to thread jack, but how are you guys keeping people from stealing these? I want to get one and the gf is getting me one for xmas (she doesn't know that I know). But the area I live in is getting bad so I don't want her to spend a ton of money just for someone to take it.

I would be mounting on my bumper btw

#26 ·
You can buy security lock nuts that require a specialized socket, or do what most people do...tack the nut. Without a security measure, it takes less than a minute to steal one.

#28 ·
Did you ever end up ordering one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.