DODGE RAM FORUM banner

M&M (Modded Mango)

103K views 759 replies 79 participants last post by  Tred 
#1 ·
So I thought I would go ahead and start this little complete build thread. To start things off, I was in hunting for a new truck and loved the 4th Gen Rams. Looking around Atlanta, I was between a Black Sport and the Mango Sport. The first one that I went to test drive was the Mango and as soon as I seen the sport hood and the color in person I knew it was the "one". (Plus I almost painted my 2000 Silverado burnt orange about 6 months prior) Anyways, ended up taking her home that day

She stayed completely stock for about 3 days. The first thing was to tint the front windows. Then I made the mistake :doh: of finding this forum, because it has sufficiently drained my pockets every since. :LOL: Next was a 18" Magnaflow muffler and then the K&N and painted engine cover, but then that was all removed for the Vararam Air Grabber intake.

Other mods (so far) have been a DiabloSport Predator, LEDs inside and out, a BedRug, wrapped interior silver with Carbon Fiber Di-Noc, Color matched the background on the ram and calipers, added orange evil eyes to the front ram, added orange LEDs to the vents on the sport hood, Debadged. The latest addition has been the Hurst shifter. I be sure to keep everyone up to date and add pictures to this thread as I get them off my phone. I do know that the next thing in the works is a custom airbrush job of the lid for the Vararam.

(Before I added the Evil Eyes)

Oh and I did get an R/T front badge the other day...

See less See more
#44 ·

Look what I got today! Time to start modding the headlights like I want, but my truck is my daily driver. Picked up a set of like new headlights off ebay $80 bucks shipped. Can't wait to get these done like I want.

I do have a color matched grille coming soon so I'm thinking about doing a combination of these two... (Got the pictures from fellow forum members)

What do you guys think?

#49 ·
Nice truck...a few things though.
Nitrous bottles have a siphon tube in them, the bottle should be angled up with the valve facing forward. Nitrous is a liquid, when your bottle runs low and you go WOT the nitrous will be pulled away from the siphon tube and you'll be spraying nothing. Even straight sideways is better than what you have.

Next...safety. Get a blow down tube in that thing. If the pop off vent goes while you're in there you're in for a world of hurt. That bottle packs enough energy to do this:

Blow down tubes are cheap and easy to install...don't get hurt or killed just to save a few bucks. I've been drag racing for over 20 years...I've seen some gnarly nitrous mishaps up to and including a bottle going off in a car as it pulled out of the track. Screwed up 2 guys pretty bad plus the driver crashed the car when it happened.

Nitrous is a lot of fun...you have to treat it with respect though.

#51 · (Edited)
I agree with you about the bottle position, but I chose to mount that way due to it being a cleaner install. Also, these trucks do not pull enough G's for the liquid transfer inside of the tank to move that much. The hydrostatic pressure on the liquid inside of the tank is great enough for the mass to want to be at the bottom of the tank. If I was running 9's, then it would more than likely come into effect. I could work out the exact acceleration required for the liquid to move out of the siphon tube location, but dont really feel like going through my fluid dynamics books. (I'm a Mechanical Engineer grad from Georgia Tech)

That picture of the f body has nothing to do with a blowdown tube. All the blowdown tube does is redirect the nitrous that gets expelled from the tank in the slim chance that the pressure exceeds, i believe about 1800 psi. All modern tanks have a burst disk on the valve and will burst, just shooting the "juice" all over the cab (still wouldn't be fun) That f body had a faulty tank, Just because it blew before the burst valve did. And it looks like he didnt even have it strapped down.

All in all, I agree with you that I need a blow down tube to prevent the slim chance that the burst disk does blow and spray nitrous throughout the cab. BUT don't scare people posting a picture of a demolished car saying that it was a simple failure to install a blowdown tube.

#52 ·
1st....leave your fluid dynamics book on the shelf. I don't really care what it says. I'm pretty close with Mike Wood...owner of Nitrous Express. I'll take the word of the man that owns a nitrous company over your textbook. We've had this discussion in person. It's not a lot of liquid when the bottle is low and it WILL move away from the siphon tube....period.

2nd...I never posted that a burst disc failure caused that. I said the bottle has enough energy to cause that to happen in an enclosed vehicle. A disc popping off without a blowdown tube can release enough pressure in a closed vehicle to blow your eardrums. That's a fact. If you're driving down the road when it happens, bad things can happen. That's another fact.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone so don't twist what I said. I'm using my real world experience with over 20 years of messing with this stuff up to and including working on Nitrous Pro Mods to inform you and anyone else reading and considering nitrous use to do things right. Hopefully your personal safety is more important to you than getting pissy on an internet forum.
Don't worry though...I was 24 once too. I knew everything then just like you do now. Old guys like me that have actually done this stuff, not just read about it in textbooks don't know anything.

Have a great day.

#752 ·
1st....leave your fluid dynamics book on the shelf. I don't really care what it says. I'm pretty close with Mike Wood...owner of Nitrous Express. I'll take the word of the man that owns a nitrous company over your textbook. We've had this discussion in person. It's not a lot of liquid when the bottle is low and it WILL move away from the siphon tube....period.

2nd...I never posted that a burst disc failure caused that. I said the bottle has enough energy to cause that to happen in an enclosed vehicle. A disc popping off without a blowdown tube can release enough pressure in a closed vehicle to blow your eardrums. That's a fact. If you're driving down the road when it happens, bad things can happen. That's another fact.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone so don't twist what I said. I'm using my real world experience with over 20 years of messing with this stuff up to and including working on Nitrous Pro Mods to inform you and anyone else reading and considering nitrous use to do things right. Hopefully your personal safety is more important to you than getting pissy on an internet forum.
Don't worry though...I was 24 once too. I knew everything then just like you do now. Old guys like me that have actually done this stuff, not just read about it in textbooks don't know anything.

Have a great day.
Thank you, Sir, for the best laugh I've in many a day. The newly Anointed, with their textbook learning, telling those of us who've actually done it, usually for longer than they've been alive, how we do it wrong.

I asked a kid once, you think we didn't learn from the same sources? We did, and then we learned how it really works, by doing it.

MANGO,
no negs to you. Your thread, and you truck is awesome. That guys post though, cracked me up.

#53 ·
Listen man no hard feelings. I'm just saying what I know, from education and experience. I too have been around drag racing since I could walk. I was driving a super pro camaro that had a 455 Dart small block with 900hp shot of nitrous when I was 15. I Have my super comp and top dragster licenses. I do agree with what you said, I just know that some people will look at that f body and never again think about playing with nitrous.

PS, I'm not an ignorant know it all 24 year old...

#58 ·
I ended up using 3 1" LED strips from some ebay company. I just had to find something that gave the right amount of light off. I tried using 1" glow stick (FAIL) and led shoelaces (another FAIL). I have everything tee'd into a single 3 way switch (hood and underhood). This way the can be on ignition power until I'm parked at a show and I can flip it to constant power, so I don't have to leave my keys in the truck. I then have another small switch under the hood that controls the underhood leds. So I can drive with the hood on and leave the underhood off, until I'm at a show or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.