DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Automatic windshield wipers

5K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
I have this feature and it has drizzled a couple times since getting the truck but they have yet to turn on automatically. One time I waited until I could barely see but nothing. The setting is on on the radio. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity on them or something?

#10 · (Edited)
If I recall correctly the option for automatic wipers has to be enabled and then the wipers should be left in the 3rd intermittent position (from off turn the stalk 3 clicks).

Edit: For some reason the entire thread didn't load so I didn't see all the previous messages answering the question. Apologies for being redundant!

#11 ·
From the manual;

Rain Sensing Wipers — If Equipped
This feature senses moisture on the windshield and
automatically activates the wipers for the driver. The
feature is especially useful for road splash or overspray
from the windshield washers of the vehicle ahead. Rotate
the end of the multifunction lever to one of five settings
to activate this feature.
The sensitivity of the system can be adjusted with the
multifunction lever. Wiper delay position 1 is the least
sensitive, and wiper delay position 5 is the most sensitive. Setting 3 should be used for normal rain conditions.Settings 1 and 2 can be used if the driver desires lesswiper sensitivity. Setting 5 can be used if the driverdesires more sensitivity. Place the wiper switch in theOFF position when not using the system.NOTE:• The Rain Sensing feature will not operate when thewiper switch is in the low or high-speed position.

Looks like it needs to be on in order to enable.....

#12 ·
My previous 2010 Volkswagen CC had automatic wipers and it was a very nice feature that I wish my Ram had. I thought it was ridiculous to begin with but it is nice when you go in and out rain or the rain intensity varies. It would wipe the windshield almost instantly after meeting a semi that doused the windshield with water as well.

My VW had three levels of sensitivity which I'm guessing the Ram's have something similar. You have to mess with it a bit to figure out where you need to be but works pretty well once you get it honed in. The VW version seemed to adjust to your speed as well.

#17 ·
No it changes depending on sensitivity. Another term for sensitivity in this case would be density. Some people don't want a single drop of rain on the windshield. I was using them last night and it seemed like when the light hit the windshield, they started working faster. I prefer level one and it was working great for me.

#19 ·
i tested this in my 2013 as well. drove in a storm even. you have to turn the wiper setting on one click and it will take over from there. kinda lame but good i guess this way you dont have to go into settings everytime u want to go to the carwash or something

#22 ·
i noticed this too the other day with it on the first notch. very light rain. wipers go slow. then make a quick double pass then slow again. like? unnecessary

#24 ·
Read your manual,
Rain Sensing Wipers — If Equipped
This feature senses moisture on the windshield and
automatically activates the wipers for the driver. The
feature is especially useful for road splash or overspray
from the windshield washers of the vehicle ahead. Rotate
the end of the multifunction lever to one of five settings
to activate this feature.
The sensitivity of the system can be adjusted with the
multifunction lever. Wiper delay position 1 is the least
sensitive, and wiper delay position 5 is the most sensitive.
Setting 3 should be used for normal rain conditions.
Settings 1 and 2 can be used if the driver desires less
wiper sensitivity. Setting 5 can be used if the driver
desires more sensitivity. Place the wiper switch in the
OFF position when not using the system.
NOTE:
• The Rain Sensing feature will not operate when the
wiper switch is in the low or high-speed position.

#29 ·
You got a fully loaded big horn I guess. Not all options are avaiable for each trim. They have to limit it so that everyone isn't just customizing a tradesman and therefore making the different trim level options pointless. That's my guess anyway.

#31 ·
the only thing that i don't care for is in places like Arizona, when a storm is coming up
the wind kicks up sand then there is a lull, then the rain starts
the auto sensing wipers turn on, the wipers drag the sand across your windshield

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.