DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Philips Luxeon LED & Cree MK-R LED

79K views 281 replies 74 participants last post by  Joeynotz 
#1 · (Edited)
After much consideration, I decided to make this write up into its own thread so others that want to follow or search for it will have a little easier time. As time progresses, I will certainly update the thread as needed. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions or comment if you'd like a few different photos. I'll try to accommodate any request.

If you would like more information on these bulbs, you may do so by contacting the vendor directly for more details. You can find them on Facebook at The Auto LED Corp and by email at talcorporation8@gmail.com

#41 ·
:smileup::smileup: You can certainly tell a color difference between those HID lights and the LED's. Great photo comparison of the two.

#43 ·
Keep us in the loop once you get them Joey... always great to hear input from others!!!

#45 ·
You will not find anything brighter than those Cree MK-R bulbs in the fog light housing.

Recently took several night time trips 45 min plus each way with 0 vehicles flashing me because they thought the lights were too bright. If you've just come to the last page, please refer to my earlier posts for an easy way to make sure the new lights are aligned just as your stock bulbs were. Mileage will vary depending on the vehicle- some will need to adjust and some will not.

#47 · (Edited)
I installed these fogs last night while at work. I was pleased with how quick it went. It took longer to swap my interior lights and plate lights to led. Pretty bright and have a good pattern. I'm sure that has to do with the reflector though. Shipped on a Monday and here the next Monday. I would recommend them to anyone wanting a more modern look. They are such a nice color it makes me hate my headlights . I did have a wire in one decoder that was slightly loose. I fixed it so it works and can't jiggle loose. The seller knows of technology problem and offered a replacement right away. I declined for now due to my fix. I'm sure if I have a issue I'll get it taken care of without warranty. Contacting the seller and getting help has never been easier. He will get back to you. Many times within 5 minutes.

I'd post a few pics but I don't think my post count will allow it yet. But I have the fogs and interiors done and no light out messages or issues with blinking lights. No issues with them working in wonky ways with doors open or with courtesy switch use.

Edit: installed in my 2015 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman crew cab

#48 ·
I got my full kit a while back and only have the fogs installed at the moment. The headlights will be installed after I get some warranty work completed on my drivers side light.

So far, they have been great. I love the color and can't want to match the headlights with them. I also have the LED Sport hood mod planned which should match nicely with the headlights and fog lights.

Thanks for writing this up for up MissouriRam!!

:Banana01:

:appl:

:beerchug:

:w00t:

#51 ·
I have not had anyone flashing me or complaining that my fogs are too high. I would certainly not recommend keeping them too high so that you're blinding on coming traffic.

#52 ·
I have not had anyone flashing me or complaining that my fogs are too high. I would certainly not recommend keeping them too high so that you're blinding on coming traffic.

I knew after I posted that it came out wrong....

I have no reference to go on...a) I lowered the rear of the truck, b) I was so tired of the "bad" lights, it slipped my mind to check them before I changed the bulbs, c) I was happy with the original fog pattern. it wasn't out of adjustment......

So, now the fogs are the main source of light, but they still don't have the distance, so I want to "inch" ( a term) them up a little at a time to get some more distance.
No I won't be turning them up crazy, but it's hard to find "right" height.

#53 ·
Makes sense now! You may try a piece of masking tape or something similar and mark your starting point as a reference... this way you'll know where your starting point was when you go back for adjustments.

#55 ·
Hey Missouri.....The fogs weren't marked to go in certain sides were they? The left bulb went in no problem, but the right one I had to fight with it. Like the tabs didn't exactly line up....?

I was just re-reading your post here on the headlights being marked for each side...

#60 · (Edited)
The Cree bulbs have an "L" and "R" on them, I would imagine so the user can reference when putting the bulb into the housing and make sure the "R" is on the right side of the light housing and the "L" on the left, however they are not right side or left side specific bulbs meaning one is not designated for the Drivers side of the vehicle and one designated for the passenger side of the vehicle. .

#56 ·
Hey MissouriRam where do you live? I was just wondering if we lived close if I could check them out in person? I have a 2014 tradesman which uses H11 bulb non projector. Has anybody tried them or do they make a kit for my headlights? I read the whole other 27 page thread and don't recall anybody stating or asking about non projector headlights...

#64 ·
Hey MissouriRam where do you live? I was just wondering if we lived close if I could check them out in person? I have a 2014 tradesman which uses H11 bulb non projector. Has anybody tried them or do they make a kit for my headlights? I read the whole other 27 page thread and don't recall anybody stating or asking about non projector headlights...
Hi...I think he mentioned they haven't made a kit yet for these lights. I'm waiting too, for this to come available. I have a 2011 with quads....

Where I live, I NEED light.

#57 ·
My Review

So, here is my short write up on these in my 2013 Ram Sport
Light pattern/spread I would give an 8/10 (great but there are some dark spots, nothing too bad but noticeable especially on high beam)
Highs 9/10-Just wish they were a bit brighter (BUT are indeed brighter than factory hands down)
Lows Projector 7/10-Not very bright (but slightly brighter than factory) and beam pattern is a bit funky
Fogs 10/10-These are excellent and about 5 times brighter than my lows and 3 times brighter than my highs (IF ONLY THESE WOULD FIT IN MY HEADLIGHT HOUSINGS!)

With the 3 sets combined they are a great upgrade at a decent price (they are on ebay for less and longer warranty but are mostly in CHINA so take that with a grain of salt) but I am glad I went with the same seller on here even though the warranty is shorter and they are price. Small price to pay if you have any issues

With my auto high beams these are even better, slick as sh*t and light is instant (I now hate HID's lol)

Have not had any high beamers yet so I think everything is adjusted fairly well

Now my only issue is that I do indeed have a LOW BEAM BULB OUT WARNING LIGHT
Highs are fine
Fogs are fine

Next issue...ALL 3 SETS have the famous RAM FLICKER/JUMP (same as HID)
I am going to install the same sellers small harness to hopefully solve this (I already have some leftover HID ones for the fogs but have not gotten around to putting them on yet, perhaps this week)

All in all, solid purchase

Phillips 9005 HIGH
Phillips 9012 LOW
CREE 9006 FOG

Pic 1
Pic 2 Highs Lows
Pic 3 Lows Fogs
Pic 4 Fogs

#59 · (Edited)
I have never mounted the headlamps in such a way that I still have access to the braids to touch them while the lights are on. I know a lot of guys have been running the Philips LED bulbs with the heat sink braids and no one has had any issues of wires melting etc, so I would imagine they do their job and don't put off excessive heat. When I began researching these, it was quickly pointed out that of all three options (Halogen, HID, LED) the LED's run the coolest. A lot of testing went into these before they were released and the guys have said these run cooler than your stock Halogen bulbs, so I wouldn't be too concerned with heat related problems coming from these bulbs.

As far as reflecting correctly... I'm not sure what you're asking? Take a look at all of the photos provided in this thread and decide for yourself if they reflect well enough for your taste. I certainly have no issues with the output. The projector housing on these Ram's isn't the best. I would have to say that some light is probably diffused/lost just because of the projector.

Ramathorne: Great write up with photos! Throw a set of decoders on your low beams and that should solve any issues you're having. They will fit neatly inside the dust cover as well. I have decoders on both my fogs and my low beams and they are instant on with no flicker at all. Good luck and let us know once the decoders solve your issues!! If you go back through my photos, you'll see that I DID place the Cree bulbs in the headlights at one point just for comparison. You would not be thrilled with the results. A lot of light intensity is lost inside the projector housing. The Cree bulb is phenomenal in the reflective fog housing and you won't find another set up that can rival it. The best set up is the way you have them now. I dare say if you're looking for more light out of the projectors, you'll have to upgrade the projector itself to maximize the light output.

#72 ·
I have read countless threads on HID and LED bulbs but have yet to see if the LED's play nice with 2015's...........or more likely I missed it somewhere.

Has anyone used the LED bulbs with success in their 2015 with projector buckets??

#76 ·
I'm not sure I follow you.... this is certainly NOT the answer for LED, which is what this thread is for. The video is based off HID systems, which are much more complex since they require so many components in order to work. My thought is the more links in a chain that you have, the more likely you are to have something fail. The simple answer for the LED system that I talk about in this thread is to purchase the premium decoders. All of the components are minimal and everything fits behind the dust cap just as if it was OEM. I've had no issues or concerns and I think the majority of all users have the same feedback. Much easier system to use than HID.

As I stated earlier, there IS a true plug and play HID system that will install just as the LED's do in the near future, however Braden does not have them ready to roll out just yet.

As Ramathorne has already said, I think for my time and money, I'll stick with LED... the technology is improving every day with more and more auto companies jumping on the LED craze. HID systems are slowly fading into the shadow of LED.

Good question. I've been looking into this myself also.
Not sure if this is the answer, but it looks like this will at least keep the canbus happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2fn2Ucfh6k&feature=youtu.be

#75 · (Edited)
The decoders that I have on mine works for both the 9012 and 9006. Just ask Braden for the premium decoders and he will take care of you.

Also, the premium decoders, which are the ones I have, are safe to use in 2015's with no errors. If you have any concerns, feel free to contact Braden and he can certainly tell you the ins and outs of the components better than I can.

Check out page 5 of this thread for a few users that have installed these on their 2015's.

#77 ·
The only reason I mentioned that is because I thought the problem with the 2015's (from reading around) is that they stop working after a while or start throwing out errors. Both HID and LED. I'm glad to be wrong as I can't wait to get LEDs in my headlights.
Thanks

#78 ·
:smileup: All of the LED guys have had trouble free use as far as I've been told, so I'd be comfortable with that set up. HID has taken much longer to correct and if the "correction" is that anti-flicker module, that's just another link in that chain of plugs you have to connect. Thanks for the video though, it reminded me of what a pain current HID systems are to connect!!! :gy:

#79 ·
I finally got around to putting my lights in. 2015 with stock projectors. Installed CREE fogs, Phillips low beams, plate lights, and cargos. WOW, what a huge difference. I don't even want to use my highbeams anymore. The clean crisp white light is so much nicer. Everything was easy to install. I am running the fogs and headlights with the premium decoders and for now no issues whatsoever. I can't wait until he has the new reverse lights done so that I can finish it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.