DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Indy Ram Restoration

16K views 63 replies 14 participants last post by  butterscotch71 
#1 ·
Its been awhile since I have posted anything. I thought I might as well make it a good one. Here are some pictures of the progress so far that I have made in restoring and customizing my Indy Ram over the past couple of months. Its been in the paint shop for about a month now.
I had to take it back in last friday to get a couple areas touched up.

I will continue to work on it untill i get everything installed. The decals will probably go back on this weekend. I was lucky to snatch a NOS set from a guy at work for 50 bucks!! After the fact that I just bought a reproduction for 200 from phoenix graphics. :i_rolleyes: I guess its not a bad idea to have a spare set.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys!

Im still undecided on what to do with the hood scoop inlet. Leave it wide open or put in a piece of honeycomb grille like whats on the factory grille.
That way a bird or squirrel or whatever kind of animal fits in the hole won't make a nest or something in there.

I will have to post more pictures this weekend after I get the dual exhaust routed through the roll pan and the hood pins installed, since the secondary hood latch isn't hooked up to this hood.

I had an evap. purge solenoid flow error code come up so I will probably be fixing that first before I do the other stuff. Another trip to my second home, Autozone.

#6 ·
Sorry about the quality in advance. These 2 pictures below were taken with my smartphone. I will have to get a better one taken with my SLR after I get the exhaust done. Currently the flip up license plate is on and hiding my hidden drop hitch.

Just to give you an idea what the rear end looks like so far...

#13 ·
Very nice truck...can I ask you, what is the spacing between your stripes?

I like the truck, but I just wasn't comfortable with the factory mirrors so I swapped mine out to a set off a Dakota.

When I get home this weekend to work on the truck I will look for my notes on the stripe spacing. I know that the spacing started out smaller in the front of the truck (grille) and got larger on the hood to the tailgate.

I have to admit, the mirrors are kinda cheap :i_rolleyes:. Mine are the manual ones. No chrome, just plastic. They have been replaced but they still move back when going over 65 mph. I have been thinking about getting some nice power ones, probably aftermarkets.

#10 · (Edited)
I was able to get the bedliner sprayed and some of the interior painted over the past 3 days. I took off monday, but it didn't seem like the time helped much. I'm very impressed with the results from spraying the SEM Rock-it bedliner. It really helped having my 2 brothers help with the sanding. My arms are still sore though.

Im still fighting with the Evap code P0441. Im going to replace the vapor canister (charcoal filter) next. I noticed a ton of black soot around it. The line going to the purge solenoid looked clean. It still keeps idling super low, and almost eventually dies (unless you give it some gas...until its warmed up). It recently had a new bosch fuel pump assembly installed ( 1 year ago) along with a purge solenoid (this weekend). I have also replaced the TPS, IAC (twice), and the PCV valve in the past year.

If it ain't one thing, its another.

#15 ·
Had a busy weekend. Didn't get everything done that I had on my list but I did manage to get some things done. I was able to fix the P0441 Evaporative Emission Purge Flow Incorrect by replacing the Purge Solenoid, the Vapor Canister, and by blowing compressed air through the lines.

Couldn't get the vapor canister at autozone/advanced auto. I had to go to a dealership. It cost 60 dollars (they have a recall kit, it comes with both the purge soleniod and the vapor canister). They charge 75 for just the canister by itself. So, the recall kit is a bargin.

I also had to sand and paint the vapor canistor cradle (located under the drivers side). It was rusted pretty badly.

I also replaced the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor since its the only one left thats original. So now the truck has all new sensors on the motor.

I was able to get the decals on the truck. The only one I don't have on is the "Dodge" tailgate decal. I ordered the wrong size.

#18 ·
Over the past couple of weekends I have been working as much as possible on the truck. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get done what I need.
Last weekend I got the mirrors installed and some of the interior removed.

This weekend I removed and replaced the diff. cover with a nice chrome Mopar one that has a threaded fill plug. Wish I had the limited slip rear end instead of the open one, I didn't order the truck though (2nd owner).

I also got new door lock actuators installed. What a pain. The headliner and the sun visors went in pretty well. Luckily my younger brother was around to help. Definitely a 2 man job.

I re-installed the mud flaps that I had. Since the truck was re-painted I had to re-drill out the holes.

I think overall, the truck is comming together pretty nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.