DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1992 Dodge Ram w/ Cummins diesel Tranny options?

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Russ Bellinis 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a 1992 Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel. The overdrive case has stripped out. He lives in Mexico, so I checked with my local Dodge dealer this morning and found out that the part is discontinued and no longer available. So far I've searched with keywords "Dodge diesel w/ automatic transmission," "1992 Dodge Ram w/ Cummins turbo diesel & automatic transmission." I have reworded the search a couple of other ways, but I'm sure you get the idea. I always get the dreaded "No matches found" response. I hate to ask a tech question without doing a search first, but either the search function is not working or no one on the forum has ever had a problem with an automatic transmission in a Dodge Ram diesel. My friend is looking for options. He has heard that the overdrive case is the weak link in the early automatic transmission behind the Cummins diesel. He has found ads for rebuilt stock transmissions for the truck. He is also considering upgrading to a newer trans from a later model Ram diesel if he can find one in a wrecking yard. Another option is to convert the truck over to a stick shift. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would be the best choice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.