DODGE RAM FORUM banner

18 or 20 inch rims?

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  817moto 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and a brand new Ram owner. I intend on putting a 6 inch lift on my 2011 ram and putting 35 inch tires on it. My question is should I go with 18 or 20 inch rims? Could ya'll tell me some advantages or disadvantages to each? and if you have a truck with a 6 inch lift could you post pics and let me know if you have 18 or 20 inch rims?

#2 ·
If you plan on off-roading in mud more often 18" rims will give you an advantage as you'll have more sidewall. If your truck is a pavement princess it doesn't matter, go with what you like better.

Check out some of the stickied threads in the lifted section or wheel and tire section of the forum. You'll find all the pictures you need to see what you like better.

#6 ·
I wouldn't go any bigger than 18" on a rig that you plan to take offroad. I have 37x12.50R17 tires and I still gouge the wheels some on rocks whilst wheeling! My wife's Denali has factory 22" wheels on it and I am afraid to drive that truck around a parking lot for fear of curbs, LOL! Unless you are planning on 40+" tires, stay away from 20's, IMHO!!!

#7 ·
Thanks a lot guys! I don't off road much but I do go down logging roads and stuff to cut firewood on occasion. Since the 18's look about as good to me as the 20's to me and will ride better it sounds like I would be much better off with the 18's.

#8 ·
I just had to make this decision when I purchased my 6" rcx lift. I don't have it on yet, but I opted for 18" Fuel Hostages on a 35 x 12.5 tire. My reasoning was

1. On and off road, probably a slightly better ride.

2. Wheels are expensive and nice looking, a little more sidewall will give me peace of mind around curbs, medians, construction sites etc.

3. I personally like the look of a beefier tire vs a slightly flashier wheel.

Good luck and happy hunting my friend! When I finally get it all mounted I will have a vid and a few photos up for you to check out.

#13 ·
New to Rams, but was a Jeep owner in a previous life. As others said, a smaller diameter rim is usually preferred. Keeps cost lower. More sidewall to provide a slightly better ride. Also, many tires aren't available in bigger rim sizes. If you have an idea what you want, check the sizes/prices available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.