DODGE RAM FORUM banner

37's??

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  817moto 
#1 ·
Found a great deal on some 37"x12.5 military tires. I'm not worried about clearance issues on my truck but does anyone have any ideas on if the front CV's can handle them? I know its alot of tire to be moving. :4-dontknow:

#2 ·
I don't see why not. I've seen a few trucks with 37s and 38s on here and no one had issues regarding that

#3 ·
Bear in mid that the Hummer tires are 37x12.50R16.5- unless you run a beadlock wheel, you will have less bead retention than your current wheels offer. The reason being that 16.5" wheels do not have the safety bead (looks like a mild ridge) that helps retain the tire on the bead when running lower than normal pressure (like being aired down even a little to go wheeling) so, you will be more likely to have the tire come off the bead. If you want a bead lock wheel, Hummer rims can be recentered relatively inexpensively and are a DOT legal beadlock BUT, they are VERY heavy!!!

Also, I am not 100% certain that 16.5" rims will clear the calipers or the outer tierod ends on a 3rd gen Ram. I know they won't on a 4th gen 2500, I was considering them since I wanted to run beadlock rims and was VERY tempted by some Baja T/A's on 24 bolt Hummer beadlocks a military surplus yard near me had for sale! (even with the cost of recentering and the cost of PVC inserts, that would still be a WAY cheaper setup than 17" Hutchinson rock monsters!)

Overall, unless you are HEAVILY into offroading and require a beadlock wheel, and don't want to spend a ton of $$$ to run one, I would not recommend going with 37x12.50R16.5 Hummer takeoffs.

#4 ·
Assuming he meant off a hummer, ya 16.5" wheels won't fit.

#6 ·
That will be a pretty heavy setup. At the very least it will cause accelerated wear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.