DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Can you make a 4x2 into a 4x4?

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  noclass 
#1 ·
I got an 09 Ram 1500 4x4 rollover from a friend in the insurance bus. I want to use the Hemi in a project car.

A buddy of mine has an 09 Ram 1500 2wd.

Can we just swap the 4x4 components into his truck and have everything work?

It looks like the front diff. bolts to the motor mounts so those will be swapped. We have the complete axle/a-arm assemblies removed from the donor. Swap trannies and drive shafts etc.

But what about the wiring? If we pull all the trans. and diff wiring from the donor can we just add it to his truck and plug it in? Will his computer recognize the 4x4 system or do we have to swap them? Will that work?

Any input is greatly appreciated. He has a really nice truck and I'd hate to screw anything up.

#3 · (Edited)
Sure u can if all the parts are ok your cost should be low but. I would have to take a wild stab and say you will be replacing a few thing from the roll over. Most things should bolt right in.

#7 ·
The frame, tranny tunnel, and wire harness may be quite different between the 4x4 and 2wd. You could swap the frame out, and add in the wiring but, if the floorboards are different (larger tranny tunnel in the 4x4 to clear t-case (IDK if the tunnels are different between 2wd/4wd in these trucks but, they might be)) then you'll either have to modify the tunnel some or put on a body lift to get clearance.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.