DODGE RAM FORUM banner

15.6 MPG on E85 Octane

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  82corvette 
#1 ·
Hey all just would like to share my recent results with 85 octane fuel. It was my first time filling up with it and seemed to have great results. I drive a 2012 1500 RCSB with the 4.7L which is rated for 10 city/12 highway. Driving 30% city/70% highway I have reached these results. Not too shabby....

#4 ·
You're mpg figures are off. The 4.7L ram's are rated at 14city/19hwy. I get 15-18city/20+hwy with intake/exhaust/tune. Stock was same on the hwy and maybe 1mpg worse city.

E85 will typically net worse mpg but more torque.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry I don't have any. Member transengineer(from this forum - works for the company that makes our trucks) told me that. He gave me a number, I think it was a 6% increase in torque output. Not sure if that's peak or max.

E85 can be great, but most vehicles aren't set up to use it to it's potential. Many race cars are using E85 with great success(with much different compression ratios and octane ratings than our vehicles). E85 has a different stoich A/F ratio as well. I'm not sure how much the stock computers in E85 capable vehicles compensate for all these factors, but I doubt they use the fuel to it's full potential. E85 has an octane rating of 105, typically. That allows higher compression, more ignition timing advance, etc. It's also cleaner, and cooler. When built and tuned for E85 you should be making more power and probably same or better mpg than equivalent with gasoline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.