DODGE RAM FORUM banner

True hp

11K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  ScatPak07 
#1 ·
Not sure if this has been discused yet, but it says on the page before this that the 5.7 is 390hp, but ive heard the 5.7 is rated at 345+ hp, what is the true hp to the wheels on a stock hemi 5.7 single cab

#4 ·
cool sounds good, all mods complete i want to be around 500. i rode with my buddy at work and he has a lightning with 500whp and i almost shit myself, THATS the feeling i want to give people riding in my truck.

#6 ·
Chillz estimates are way too optimistic...stockwise, the 3rd gen hemis (345hp at crank) probably puts about 270-275hp to the wheels realistically..

#14 ·
Theres a difference between hp and whp, if your truck is rated at a certain hp say 345, 345hp is what its rated at the crank, basically how powerfull your motor is, Now whp is how much hp your truck has after it gets to the wheels (WHEEL HORSE POWER) Sense you loose power through your drive train they have a rating for this as well, if you have 345 at the crank (HP) then your looking at about 290 at the wheels (WHP) correct me if im wrong senior members.

#16 ·
also...HP is just a number. Torque, now thats what matters. :p

Torque - scientifically measured in lb/ft units, measured by the layman by how much seat material winds up in his sphincter.

#17 ·
Horsepower isn't just some number. It's just a little more difficult to explain than torque is. The fact that there are several units of measurement that can all be referred to as "horsepower" also makes things a little more confusing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

Horsepower is a measurement of power. Power is work over time. Work is a force times a distance.

Hook your truck up to a house, and floor it (we'll pretend for this example that your tires are awesome and don't spin at all- just put everything your engine puts out to the ground). You won't go anywhere, but you will generate plenty of torque. Since you haven't gone anywhere, you will have generated 0 horsepower though since you need to travel some distance in order to have done any work, and if you haven't done any work, you haven't generated any power.

#19 ·
Just have LOTS of both and you will be fine, hahah

#24 · (Edited)
lots....

cam, heads, lt headers, full 3" true dual exhaust to muffler (dual in/single out), dual e-cutouts, cai, efan, tuner with custom tune, 4.10 gears, 180 tstat... best 1/4 ... 13.08

#29 ·
Ya the new 2009 Hemi has 390hp. Kinda wished I waited a couple years haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.