DODGE RAM FORUM banner

will this fit my '11?

7K views 61 replies 11 participants last post by  ABCRUDE 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
I have seen many places advertising it fitting up to 2011 as well so I believe it will, I just picked up Sachs tail gate ift support #sg314900ez for right under $30 shipped from rockauto.com .(5% discount code 4BE6AFF51B0E). I went with this one because of the lifetime warranty compared to 1 year if I remember correctly. You need to search by part# or look under 2010 RAM because its not listed under 2011 yet.

#7 ·
I have seen many places advertising it fitting up to 2011 as well so I believe it will, I just picked up Sachs tail gate ift support #sg314900ez for right under $30 shipped from rockauto.com .(5% discount code 4BE6AFF51B0E). I went with this one because of the lifetime warranty compared to 1 year if I remember correctly. You need to search by part# or look under 2010 RAM because its not listed under 2011 yet.

$25 for shipping to Alberta!That is more than the darn part :( God i'd love to get my hands on this but I can't justify spending that much on shipping.

#4 ·
The EZ-Down does fit but I would recommend the Sachs that the second post recommends. I have the EZ-Down and it installs but it doesn't really slow the tailgate down enough. It slows it coming down but it still lands pretty hard. I called their tech support line and they had no solution for me.

I still have it on, but it is below average at best.

#10 ·
now can someone tell me why in every picture and video that I see of this thing, its always installed on the drivers side? Does it really matter what side its on? Does it come with directions that tell you to put it on that side? I read on here of someone noticing that it was scratching the paint right beside the damper and they had to put tape around it to prevent that. Should I just put tape around it from the get go or has anyone else noticed this scratching?

#11 ·
I just looked it up on usps.com and shipping to canada would run me about $10 if I send it in a small package.... I would be willing to ship to canada if your willing to pay to have it sent to my house and then pay me $10 to ship it to you... Also trust is an issue as well since I am not well known around here, I understand..

#15 ·
I don't know who else has tried to install this yet but I got mine today and went to try the install (referring to the sachs part 300MAG recommended, not the DEE ZEE).

Everything goes smoothly (the instructions are pretty good) until step 3. You're supposedly to insert the threaded insert with bolt assembly into a hole on the driver's side tailgate. On the 2011 Ram (my ram anyway), we don't have a regular circular hole as shown in the directions, it's much wider than the kit shows. See pictures.

At this point I just stopped (didn't have anything lying around to try and rig it up with) and will put in for an RMA. The DEE ZEE kits fit this at it uses something entirely different here all together.

#17 ·
not for nothing but I never recommended nothing, I only stated what I just purchased and why. I would never recommend anything I have never tried. With that I did install mine today as I don't care for it either but not exactly for the same reason but similar. the piece you mentioned actually secures very well and tight into the oval hole(it's operates like a wall anchor as you tighten the screw the fingers expand from behind to secure in place and keep in mind this is hard to remove once installed)....no problem with it being oval, but the piece is brass and than they have you screw a steel ball stud into the brass part which they tell you do not overtighten. the force of the gas shock strips out the brass threads very easily for one. also while I don't have a comparsion I would have thought the shock support would have slowed down the tailgate more than it did. I'm not sure if it is normal since I have never seen one in action up front and in person, but it is a stablius gas shock whick appears to be the same brand the DeeZee kit uses based on the installion video on there website.

#18 ·
No one is blaming you for it buddy, so calm down :}

Mine did not expand at all...dunno if it's just a faulty part or what but I went at it for 20 minutes or so before finally just saying forget it. And if you look at the DEE ZEE kit they don't use the balls or anything like that and the piece that gave me trouble is just a normal nut that you slide into that space sideways.

#19 ·
I'm calm bud :) just didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression from your post.

As far as you having trouble based on your pictures the whole assemble that gets inserted into the oval hole has to be tight, yours appears to be loose. If you tighten the assemble up and insert it in the hole. You then hold the screw in place with allen key or hex head socket while you tighten the nut, this will expand the brass fitting. It takes all of 5 minutes to do but I do agree the whole assembly could be better.

#21 ·
Right...it was loose for the pics as I decided that's when I was done messing with it lol. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but it just didn't want to open up for me.

#22 ·
I got mine today and I am wondering if I should bother with it or just return it... I do not like how the shock mounts to the truck with just the ball and socket type of connectors they have. I feel like they will pop right off and scratch my truck. I opened it all up just to see what you guys were talking about. I was looking forward to my first mod but I am not so sure I trust this thing enough now.

Opinions needed!

#23 ·
So I took a trip to oreillys to after reading the deezee thread you posted in earlier to see what there sg314900ez looked like since I wasnt tripled with the on I got from.rock auto. It appears Sachs aka stablius makes 2 different kits using the same part#. The sg314900ez that oreillys sells is the same as the deezee kit described in this thread. The kit from rock auto has a different shock with ball mounts. The shock is much stronger than the kit I got from rock auto under the same part#.

#25 ·
so you're happy with the DEEZEE then? I'll be returning this one as well.

#26 ·
Yes, I like it better and it lowers the tailgate a lot smoother, the only issue I see and was.noted in another thread is the tailgate cable rubs on the paint I will fix the rubbing by adding a piece of heat shrink on cable clip where it can rub. Keep in mind the one oriellys sells is not deezee kit but looks and installs just like it, if I had to guess stablius makes the kit for deezee.

#27 ·
hmm...I might just go with the DEE ZEE version then but I can't figure out the right part #.

#28 ·
I too am returning the rockauto kit and I bought a deezee (part # VEZD0001AA) from amazon today. Extra $20 but its better to get the peace of mind that I have the mopar part that does not have the ball and socket mounts. The picture they have on the rock auto website for the part I ordered is different than what they sent me so I am going to try to get my return shipping refunded...

Can I take rep back from 300Mag? LOL, I am just kidding man!

#29 ·
can you link exactly what you got please :D

#32 ·
hmm...should fit the 11?

#33 ·
search for that part number and a lot of sites list it for the 2002-2010 models so I am confident that it will fit my '11. I do not think they changed the tailgate much since the past gen.

Heres a link to another forum if its aloud with a video of a guy using the same part on his 2009.

Mods Delete this if its not aloud and I will just PM the link to those interested.
http://***************/forum/4th-gen-ram/205834-easy-down-tailgate.html

#34 ·
ordered it

lets give it another go shall we lol

#35 ·
I just sent Rock Auto a fairly long email about how disappointed I was with this transaction and how the item I received was not at all what I was expecting or what was pictured on the website when I bought the item. I requested a refund of my return shipping and I think all of you guys who are returning the item should do the same.

This is whats pictured on the website:

Of course what we all got was not this and was something of much less quality.

#36 ·
I went to install one I bought from O'Reillys today and I am stuck on the part where you put the screw into the oblong hole on the tailgate. Mine WILL NOT fit in that hole to save my life! If I take that metal part that goes into the hole of the bolt it will fit in the hole sideways but when its on the screw the screw part gets in the way of me putting it all the way in! I do not want to lose that metal piece! Did you guys have any problems with this? In the install video the hole looks a lot bigger than mine or maybe that metal piece is smaller? Can I buy a smaller version of that piece to make the thing fit?

#37 ·
I will do my best to describe, you loosen the assembly there is play in between the pieces. Insert the small t- shaped piece sideways into the oval hole and turn 90 degrees upright . The top of the t will stop it from coming out and the leg of the t ( best I can descibe it) will sit in the oval hole and once tight prevent from spining. Now you hold the wider piece of the assembly that is on the outside of the tailgate and pull it away from the tailgate(this will keep the t-shaped piece locked into hole). While pulling away from the tailgate with your other hand tighten the screw with the tool supplied( do not overtighten).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.