DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ashtray light

13K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  lgjhn 
#1 ·
Where exactly is the ashtray light supposed to be? I have an SLT with lux package that was supposed to have an ashtray light. Its a split bench interior so the ashtray/cupholder is the drop down type. Now I don't actually have an ashtray, but the light wasn't part of the "smokers group" which I did not order. It was supposed to be part of the luxury package which I got. Point is it sure would be nice to be able to see my drink and change while driving in the dark. Should I bring it back to dealer and tell em they owe me? Or are the two maplights in the overhead console considered to be "ashtray lights"?

#2 ·
I think the lights in the overhead console are considered your ashtray light. I could be wrong though. I don't even have those so what I did is installed a l.e.d. strip in the small space above the cup holders in the drop down part. I found a cheap set at Walmart that just plug into your power plugs. With a little creative running of the wires I can still fold the cup holders up if I ever want to and the set I used has an on/off switch right on the plug so I can turn them on or off as well. It actually ended up working pretty well.

#3 ·
There is a small light just above the cupholders when they fold out. It's at the back of the opening above the cupholders. It uses a very small incandescent bulb that shines through a green filter. So your cupholders should have a dim green light on them at night. If not, it's possible that the bulb went out.

#4 ·
Best way to see the Ash Tray Light, is to get into your Ram at night
Take a sheet of white paper with you
turn your head lights on, if they are not on already
now hold the paper up to the center overhead console
it is the green light beam

I believe it can be controlled with your dash light rheostat switch, the wheel thingy that is part of your headlight switch

#5 ·
Hmm, 3 different answers so far. Well, there ain't any green lights coming from the overhead console. I'll try fiddling with the rheostat and see if anything happens. I don't see anything at the back of the cupholders but I'll look closer tomorrow. If its missing I think I'm going to tell the dealer to install one under warranty since I believe I paid for it. Perhaps they omit it when you don't order smokers group? If so, that just isn't right.

#6 ·
Whoops, GTyankee you are correct, there is a small green light in the overhead but it really doesn't illuminate jack. I don't know how they can call it an ashtray light since you cannot even see the foldout cupholders in the dark. There really ought to be a light in back of the folddown, there sure is room for one. Hemiblacks solution sounds kinda neat, got any pix?

#10 ·
I quit cigarettes years ago too, now I just smoke cheap stogies, but not while driving. I would just like to be able to see my coffee cup without fumbling around for it on dark mornings. I head for work before dawn. Little green overhead light doesn't shine that far down.

#11 ·
My RAM was also "missing" any lights for the cupholder. I don't have a split seat so my cupholders are just in the console in front of the seat. I did something similar to Hemiblack except i got the one with 4 little blue led lights that stick on and plug into the ac adapter and just stuck them to the console above the cupholder/storage area just below the RAM letters. I pointed two of them down to light up the cupholders, tray storage area and one to each side to light up the floor a bit and then tucked the wires in behind. I plugged them into the ac adapter that works with the key so they go on and off with the key. It does also have an on/off switch. I am sure with some knowhow they could be wired directly if you prefer but I don't even notice the little black wires on my black interior. I wasn't paying $500 for the dealer ambient lighting when all I need is a few $2 led lights. We will see how long they last, got them at Canadian Tire.

#13 ·
the green light from the so called Ash Tray light, reflects off of my passenger window as well
In town it is not too noticable, but get out where there are no other lights, like in the middle of the desert, it becomes a distraction

#19 ·
A little more research revealed that the reflection in the pass. side glass is not coming directly from the light itself, but it is a reflection off the rectangular chrome bezel around the cup holder/shifter area. I located the area on the bezel and put a small piece of tape there instead of taping the light....no more glass reflection, but I still have use of the light.

#14 · (Edited)
I've been down this road before with the flip down cupholder light. Dodge has not installed the Ash Tray Light since after the 2009/2010 model year. By removing the center bezel you can see where the light would fit but I've yet to find the part # for the lamp holder much less the connector lead to power it.

My solution was to mount a side marker socket with #194 bulb from Autozone into the slot where the factory light was located. For power I used the Transfer Case Selector Switch leads which is on the lower left behind the center bezel and connect to the Black/Tan wire (ground) and Orange/Green wire (panel lights driver). Mine is a 2WD so the
connector is just plugged in to a empty socket around where the switch would be located.

This setup works very well and the ash tray lamp will dim with the other interior panel lamps plus gives off good ambient light that is needed in the Express like mine.

Attachments

#16 ·
I have a small green light in my overhead consol that does a great job of lighting up my entire center consol and shifter area at night. It provides enough light to see by with out interfering with my night vision.

#18 ·
The Express model doesn't have the overhead console so the interior cab is very dark when driving at night. The new cupholder light does help though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.