DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Magnaflow muffler swap question

10K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  puravidanico 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 ram 1500 with the 4.7L. I want to do a simple muffler swap, with turndowns (eliminating the exit tailpipe). I have read good things about the 18" magnaflow mufflers. My current stock muffler is a singel center in/single center out 3" pipes.

My question is: Does it matter if the out is a single 3" center out or a dual 2.5" out if i just want it turned down? I see a lot of people with turndowns elect to go with a single in/dual out and have two little turn downs. Does it make a difference? I only ask, cuz im looking to buy the muffler online myself to save the huge shop mark-up. I was looking at these:

dual out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magn...ccessories&hash=item2eb46d576d#ht_3919wt_1166

single in/single out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-C-...ccessories&hash=item2eb77d0ec9#ht_1720wt_1166

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanna make sure i get the right one. Thanks guys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sry one more question. Also, since 18" magnaflows are shorter than the stock mufflers, do they need to add an extension pipe or anything so the exhaust dumps down in a specific place? Hopefully the place installing it would know this, but im just curious if it matters where the turndowns dump the exhaust. Thanks.

#4 ·
Either one would be fine, performance won't change either way really. I'd just do the single as I bet you can find it cheaper, and you'd only have to buy one turn down. Only reason to do the duals is if you might add dual exits out the rear in the future. Doesn't matter where the turn down(s) are just use common sense you don't want them dumping right at say anything rubber or plastic as it will melt. In all reality turn downs under the truck aren't a great idea as the exhaust gasses get "trapped" under the truck. Especially when sitting still. Many people do it though it's up to you.

#6 ·
K, thanks. Ya, I understand that the basic concept of having turn downs isnt really a good idea, but i just think it has such a cleaner look without exit pipes. Anyone have any bad experiences with turndowns? Thanks again for the replies guys!
Ok, just be aware that it will also be louder. I ran a dumped exhaust before the axle on my ford and after awhile got really sick of it. I agree I don't like to see exhaust pipes, my solution was to keep the stock tail pipe location, you can hardly see it. Or cut it back even a few inches so you can't see it at all. If you're happy with dumped exhaust it's fine then though. It's not as big of a deal with trucks as the bed is separate from the cab so the fumes won't normally make their way into the cab. On a car it can be a bigger issue.

#8 ·
I had a friend weld the 18" stainless steel magnaflow and a new tip for me. I kept the stock resonator on it because I didn't want it obnoxious loud and I have the 4.7 as well I think keeping your factory pipe and putting a tip on while keeping the resonator gives a fantastic sound. It opened it up a bit more if nothing else at the high RPM's and I don't feel like I lost any low end. As for the turn downs, be careful with that because I've had cars with turn downs and I ended up with fumes in the car. No matter how sealed you think they are, when stuck at a stoplight idling, that gas is going somewhere and often times, it is leaking in the cab somewhere. You can't sit at a stoplight with your windows down so think about that.

The 18" gives mine a GREAT sound with a nice burbly rumble, and a vicious roar when I open it up all the way. I got the straight through 2.5" single in 2.5" single out and I'm glad I did it that way. I pulled into dodge and the guy thought I had a hemi with exhaust till he saw the truck. Then he said it was the best sounding dodge 4.7L he's ever heard.

Factory muffler

Double walled tip I chose. (some like it some hate it)

Muffler all welded in

One more shot a different angle

All in all, I'd say magnaflow is at least the best start but I'd have a shop do it. Do it once, and pay a few bucks for the quality of the install. If it was a bolt on cat-back I'd say do it yourself but pay the few bucks, have it hung right and don't ever have to think about it again.

Also I'd leave a pipe at least exiting in front of your rear tire but do something that makes the fumes exit somewhere rather than straight down.

#9 ·
Thanks so much bomb for all the info and pics. I notice you said 2.5" in and 2.5" out. I measured mine and the stock pipes are 3" goin in and 3" goin out. I too have a 2011 ram 1500 with the 4.7, very interesting. Anyway It seems like i have some thinking to do... Thanks again everyone for the input!

#11 ·
No worries man. It may be 3 in 3 out but I thought it was smaller diameter. I'll have to measure that stocker muffler when I get a chance and I'll get back to you with what the stock diameter was. We kept it as stock as we could with the pipe routing and everything. Turned out fantastic.

#12 ·
Also my stock muffler is MUCH longer than that one...
I think they have different ones, my brothers big horn has some sort of "quiet package" and his muffler is nearly twice as long as mine.

The stock piping is 3" all the way in between the y pipe and tip of tailpipe(on our single exhausts anyway).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.